Sewed: Baby Hat

For my friend Bettina’s new baby (Luis) I made this itty bitty baby hat. I used a variation of one of the free hat patterns on Voor Nop (it’s also on the sidebar under “free patterns”). I added the little mushrooms out of brown and white felt by machine sewing them to the hat. It was far too small for Elliot so his stuffed bear had to pinch hit the modeling job. Both the fleece and brown rib knit were JoAnn purchases. Right now all their anti-pill fleece is 50% off. Score!

Nursery Watercolors

I don’t do much painting, but I think these turned out swimmingly.


These hang in the nursery over Elliot’s crib. The elephant is my least favorite and I keep thinking I’ll redo it one of these days. The giraffe is actually based on a design I made up in high school (it ended up on a Valentine’s card for my sister Kricket…the spots were hearts though) and has been regurgitated in one form or another for years, including a number of baby onesies that I stenciled with freezer paper:
For anyone who might be wondering, this sort of craftiness is the easiest thing in the world — sketch your stencil on freezer paper, cut it out with an exacto knife (the one pictured had two stencils, one for the orange stuff and one for the green stuff), iron it onto your onesie, iron another piece of freezer paper into the inside of the onesie so the paint won’t leak through, paint with fabric paint (an old Crayola kiddie paintbrush works great), and let it dry. See?

Another hint I learned online from who-knows-who is to use the color “adobe” to mute the colors of the fabric paint. I bought my paint at JoAnn, and most of the colors were crazy bright and hard to stomach in their original hue. However, as soon as you add the adobe color (which is a sandy color), it makes the colors much, much cuter.

Some of the other onesies I made can be found here at seester Elli’s blog. I also guest-blogged about them here.

Sewed: Monkey Outfit

Here’s an outfit for Elliot I just finished! The kimono top has snap closures and was made from a vintage baby pattern my mom had kept since I was a baby. The pants are a pattern I made up. Perhaps someday I will be inspired to scan and post it.

Here’s Elliot in the top (which I finished first):
I also just finished a matching pair of booties:
I used (with some modification) the fabulous pattern from Joanna at Stardust Shoes. I added a seam to the sides of the heel so that it wouldn’t be unfinished, but you can’t see that seam unless you look inside the bootie. Also, they fit Elliot right now, so I would put this pattern at 6-12 months size-wise.

The leaves are almost all gone here, but here’s the last gasp of color in our yard.
In finding-new-fabric-news, I’m v. excited about the new organic fabric line from Michael Miller. They have some very cool looking baby crafts posted on their blog.
And can I say, it’s about time!

Made: Homemade Baby Food

This happens to be so ridiculously easy that even I can do it. AND it almost qualifies as cooking. Ha!These are sweet potato and applesauce baby purees. I used instructions from wholesomebabyfood.com to produce a week’s supply. Both happen to be a staple now in our house as they are both things which Elliot will reliably wolf down without coaxing.

A few issues of concern: I’m not sure which type of plastic the ice-cube tray I’m using is made of. Recently I’ve turned the laser-eye on all of the plastics in our house to try and get rid of ones that leach plasticizers, but it’s difficult when things aren’t labeled. I know it’s probably best just to toss them and buy BPA-free trays like these. Sigh. Another issue: Is it safe to wash baby food jars and use them to store frozen purees in? As I currently have a readership of zero, I’m guessing my comments section won’t fill up with answers and suggestions. Oh well.

In other get-excited-about-puree news, I’m really looking forward to reading this recipe book by Jessica Seinfeld:
It’s on my Christmas list.

Made: Nursery Mobile

It took all of 5 minutes to construct this mobile for Elliot’s nursery. I purchased a photo mobile from Urban Outfitters (which unfortunately, does not seem to be available on their website) and used the clips on the mobile to attach a set of IKEA fingerpuppets. Easy and cute. Ta-da!


Total cost: $18

Sewed: Baby Dress

I’m sure it’s just me, but it seems like everyone I know is having babies. The craftblogosphere in particular seems to be saturated with women producing offspring. I am taking advantage of friends who are having girls however and am using the opportunity to create adorable teeny-tiny sized girl frocks, such as the one shown here:

It annoys me that nothing actually fits babies when they’re born unless they’re 9 or 10 pounds. So this dress was actually designed to fit a newborn (7-8 pounds) right at birth. I will post a pattern and how-to soon!