So a few hours ago I hopped online to post about these pants. I made the fatal mistake of first checking comments on that last post, and subsequently lost at least an hour watching Y0uTube Muppet video clips. What a time sink!!! I have a similar problem with Etsy, Facebook, and Flickr (which I am intentionally NOT linking…I will not be the one who causes another to stumble). But if you haven’t seen the hilarious St. Patrick’s Day Muppet clip left by “J” yesterday, take a look (thanks J and it’s YOUR FAULT I have a sideache and haven’t taken a shower yet).
Anyway, about those pants…they are finally finished. Taah-dahhh:
: : Pattern: Emerald Isle Pants from Candy Babies by Candi Jenssen : :
: : Yarn: Lion Cotton-Ease in maize and taupe : :
: : Enjoying the sunny day : :
The fit is a little baggy for my taste — the 12-18 month size is definitely larger than any other 12-18 mo pants we own, so either my gauge was off or the pattern runs large. Luckily they are cotton, so hopefully he’ll be able to wear them at least a few times this spring and summer, since I doubt they will fit by fall.
I was a bit bummed that I ended up purchasing 4 skeins of yarn instead of the 2 called for by the pattern. If I had made the top of the pants shorter (and as you can see that wouldn’t have been a problem fit-wise) I wouldn’t have had to start another skein of each color, but of course I didn’t know that until I actually stitched them up and realized there was room for an extra couple of cloth-diaper butts in there.
My other criticism of this pattern is that they really should be crocheted in the round. All of the seaming is completely unnecessary and actually ended up looking pretty bad. Next time I want to try the Ladybugz pattern (thanks for the heads up on this, Kelley!).
Overall though, I love the colors and I think they’re pretty cute. Not bad for a first effort at making baby clothing out of yarn. Next up: I want to knit something!
I also spent a little time this week refurbishing an old set of green napkins:
I used my new Bernina Activa 220 (Christmas prezzie from Mr Rae) to put a blanket stitch around the edges and add some appliques. My fav is the squirrel.
A bit of wool felt, some sewing, and this little porker was born:
: : Pattern free from Wee Wonderfuls : :
: : Cute curly pink piggy tail : :
: : Shown with cell phone for size reference : :
Modifications: I enlarged the pattern about 150% so that it would be large enough for a toy (instead of an ornament as I believe it was intended) and I didn’t make the wagon that was supposed to go underneath, even though that was pretty cute. Voila!
These are for my friend Elizabeth’s baby who is due in just a few weeks. I didn’t know if it was a boy or a girl so I went with gender-neutral colors. I find I usually like gender-neutral baby clothes better than the traditional blue or pink baby stuff anyway. These two designs are a couple of my favorites so there are alot of other babies out there wearing others just like these already. You’ll be in good company, Baby F.
– Have finished striped baby pants. Stay tuned for pictures soon!
– I am working on putting a couple of my patterns in pdf format. It’s not that hard, just time-consuming. My goal is to have at least one up by the end of the week, so check back!
Yarn : Lion Brand Suede Yarn in taupe and coffee, Paton’s Divine in white
Hook : Sizes G and H
As I was making these I would keep setting them down just to stare at them because they were so cute. It’s like when you get a new haircut and you can’t stop looking at yourself in the mirror because you’re so enthralled with how you look. Maybe that’s just self-absorbed little me….
Unfortunately, the first pair I made with the size H hook (12-18 months) were so large they only stayed on Elliot’s feet if I put them over another pair of shoes. So…I HAD TO make another pair a size smaller (G hook/6-12 months).
The picture below shows a little better the size difference between the two pairs. In addition to the smaller hook, I used a different hdc decrease on the second pair to tighten up the fit.
So now I’ve got TWO pairs of baby UGGs, only one of which will fit Elliot, and even even then not for long as I think (hope?) the weather will be warming up soon. I’m thinking the other one will probably need to be a gift for some other lucky baby.
: : Modeled by their fetching owner : :
Although these stay on much better than the first pair, in the end these fall off his feet too, making it hard to show them off in public. They almost always end up in the diaper bag which is so sad. So I’m going to try and add elastic ties inside and see if that helps. If not, I can always just put them on a shelf and stare at them…
I finally found some of the Michael Miller cotton laminate online that was reasonably priced AND in the prints I wanted. The great thing about this stuff is that it’s waterproof but not stretchy like diaper PUL or thick like oilcloth so it’s easy to sew. The not-so-great thing about it is that it is not machine washable. In the end though, cuteness trumped cleaning issues for me. Anyway, you wouldn’t put an oilcloth tablecloth in the washing machine. You’d just wipe it off, which is exactly what we do with these:
: : Pocket bibs : :
: : Reversible Splat Mat for Elliot’s high chair : :
: : Other side : :
: : Corner View : :
I was inspired to make the Splat Mat by this post on Kathy Miller’s blog. I only had 1 yard of each of the fabrics so I couldn’t make the full sized square mat. Since we really don’t have that much room in the kitchen the rounder shape works better anyway.
Also from the Waterproof Baby Stuff Dept, I wanted to show off this awesome bib that Kricket embroidered for Elliot (pattern: Sublime Stitching):
I backed it with diaper PUL so it would be waterproof. I love being able to toss it in the wash. I also love the cute dancing veggies. Hilarious.