Here’s a quick peak at the dress I made to wear to the wedding (pictures of the little blighter in his bowtie will be forthcoming):
I bought the yellow raw silk at Haberman’s of Royal Oak…I think it was in the Home Dec area and perhaps others would look at this and think “drapes!” I looked at it and thought “dress!” I actually made another version of the dress for seester Krick’s wedding a couple years ago, but it was too low-cut to be bending over and chasing a toddler in. And also I might just weigh an eensy weensy bit more than I did then…ahem. So it needed modification.
As usual there is no pattern for this, although I will say that the skirt is just a big gathered rectangle and the waist band was a 4″ strip I cut to my chest measurement + 2″. The top though…hrmmm…I have to admit I didn’t really take notes as I went along so I’m not sure I could actually reproduce the bodice again if I had to. I know it started out as a rectangle that I gathered along the bottom and then hand-sewed over the top of the lining, which was loosely based on a McCall’s dress pattern…*too lazy to shuffle through pattern box right now*.
The “flowers” are yo’s! For directions, see Heather Bailey’s nifty tutorial. To make the middles furry, I zigzigged the edges and left the circles unfolded before basting.
Just for kicks, here’s version one of the dress:
Sign up for my newsletter!
- ▼2013 (61)
- ▶2012 (169)
- ▶2011 (173)
- ▶2010 (130)
- ▶2009 (74)
- ▶2008 (59)
- ▶2007 (6)