Clementine’s quilt is finished…got the last of the binding put on the other day, by machine of course and then handstitching all the places I missed. I am such a campy quilter it’s not even funny. Having never had any formal training in the quilting dept, I cheat in every way imaginable. Although I found a very helpful tutorial on applying binding in a recent issue of Sew Hip, which I purchased at JoAnn (of all places) a couple of weeks ago. When I got home I sat for a good half hour reading it going, “Oh…oh!” as I discovered how Real Quilters apply binding. Enlightening. Which brings me to question number one: what other sewing magazines do you guys like?

The blocks for this quilt are unbelievably easy…there’s a trick to doing them quickly so you don’t have to cut any triangles. Which I don’t have time to show you right now. I will say though that I started with 42 seven inch squares, half of which are white, and made two blocks at a time. The final size of each square is 6″ so you can use a yard of fabric to back it. The finished size is 36″x42.”

The bow-tie design happened accidentally; I was trying to do a pinwheel quilt but got confused and ended up with bow-ties. Then I thought I was being pretty original until I saw this cute pattern from Sometimes Crafter and realized (duh) that there’s really nothing new here. I still like it.

Fabrics I used: Lizzy House’s Red Letter Day, Anna Griffin’s Riley Bunnies, and Alexander Henry mushrooms and numbers.

I used a triple row of stitching along the vertical and horizontal lines mainly so I could use my presser foot to quilt it but maybe also so they would cover up those seams which may not have landed exactly where they were supposed to…*ahem*.

This quilt has alot of WHITE. Perhaps the reason this is now so clear to me is that I accidentally got chocolate on it. In more than one place. Hmm. I’m pretty sure this is a Quilting No-No, and I do not recommend. In my defense, immediately prior to the commencement of quilting I took a trip to the Holland Peanut Store (was visiting West MI for T-day) to procure seafoam, which apparently does not exist on my side of the state. Enough said. So that brings me to question number two: are there other places where seafoam can be purchased besides Holland, Michigan? And if not, has anyone ever made it successfully?

Here’s Sporty Spice With The Hair taking it out for a spin:

Now I need to go throw it in the wash.

Categories: quilting

42 Responses to Bowtie Baby Quilt

1. Cassie@You Go Girl says:

LOVE! That quilt is so cute, almost as cute as Sporty Spice, but not quite. LOL! I struggled with binding for a long time. I finally realized that if I moved my needle to the right place, the binding went on like magic. Check out my No Snit Binding tutorial at yougogirl.typepad.com, if you want. It works. It really does.

Merry! Merry!
    Cassie

2. Karin says:

I think the quilt looks wonderful. Hope the chocolate will wash out of it! And that little punk girl of yours is adorable :-)

3. CitricSugar says:

The quilt turned out wonderfully. Personally, I think if a quilt gets to the end of its life without any stains, it wasn't loved. Chocolate is okay. :-)

And try looking for it as "Sponge Toffee" instead of 'seafoam'. I had never heard of it as such until today but it's quite common in Canada.

4. Virginia says:

I love the quilt too! Would love it if you shared what else you learned. I grew up in Grand Haven ~ school rivals! ;-) This may be what I'll do with the fabric I'm hoarding!

5. Kaye Prince says:

Absolutely gorgeous Rae – you did a great job!

My favourite sewing magazines are Stitch, and Quilts and More. I also really love Fresh Vintage from Fig Tree Quilts, which is a little bit less less like a magazine and more like an extended pattern. It usually includes two patterns, a recipe, a story or two, and a couple of tips.

6. Meg says:

Cute quilt! I've never heard of seafoam candy but I think I might need to make it.

7. Lise says:

Beautiful quilt! I love it.

My family vacationed in Holland, MI, and I spent 2 weeks of every childhood summer there on the lake. Never heard of seafoam, though!

8. Sarah says:

Very nice. If you get the time please share how you quickly made the blocks :)

9. seemommysew says:

I don't think I need to tell you how cute that last pic is! Beautiful quilt!

10. Christa says:

Love the quilt! Call me crazy, but putting on the binding is my favorite part. I do it by hand and find it very relaxing.
    Keep quilting. It's a fun and addictive hobby and I wouldn't live without!

11. Andrea says:

:D Love it … her and the hair!! :D

I don't think I've read the magazine you mentioned … I'll have to look next time I'm forced to go into JoAnn's. The only "sewing mags" I have bought are "Stitch" and sometimes the quarterly quilting one by BH&G. I *hear* Stitch.

Guess who hasn't made any progress on my E's quilt! Gggrrr … it's going on the must be done in 2010 (preferably by February 20 :D ).

Happy Day!

12. why not sew? says:

Your quilt turned out great! Such a cute pic with sporty spice. I think she likes it! I've heard of seafoam but don't know how to make it. Good luck with that.

13. Kent and Katie says:

Love this. And you made me giggle because apparently we both quilt similarly…with a lot of oops' along the way:)

14. Lois Grebowski says:

Love the pic with Sporty Spice… Too cute. May have to play with that seafoam recipe. Good activity for me and my oldest Stepdaughter. She's a senior culinary student.

15. Alisa says:

It's gorgeous. Perfect for a cutie pie little girl! My favourite magazine is Quilts and More.

16. A. says:

It's beautiful! And I think that imperfect seams are what handmade quilts are all about.

17. Chocolate on my Cranium says:

Turned out darling! Sometimes mistakes turn out for the better, no?

18. Shannon says:

So cute! The quilt and the munchkin on top of it!!

19. Kelly says:

i love it, i'm just the same, i kind of make my quilt up as i go along & just seem to get lucky most of the time!

20. Shannon says:

Ha!Ha! I got wine on my latest sewing project for baby…her stocking! Ack! Why did I decide to do a white background? Hope things are going well!

21. Shannon says:

22. Sarah Seitz says:

Clementine is stinkin' cute! Love the quilt, and I'm all about making quilts small enough that you can back them with 1 yard! Genious!

Sarah @ http://comeandseetheseitz.com

23. Aunt LoLo says:

Quilt = ADORABLE
    Baby = (see above)

I have actually seen seafoam…in Shari's Sweet Shop, in Winthrop, WA. ;-) Doesn't help you much. (Doesn't help ANYONE much. Winthrop – pop. 342, plus 2,000 tourists.)

I wonder if See's delivers…I think they have seafoam. Chocolate covered, right?

24. Valerie says:

We're in Grand Rapids and you can buy sea foam at Sweetland's Candies. I've also made it at home successfully — my recipe is similar to this one: http://www.cooksrecipes.com/candy/old-fashioned-sea-foam-candy-recipe.html

I like the hourglass/bow ties, especially the quilting!

25. Deb says:

You make me laugh! I agree about faking it… the other day I got so desparate to get my pile of quilts bound that I've resorted to zig zagging down the binding! I love your quilt its great :)

26. Myrnie says:

Cute quilt :) There's a tiny candy shop called Shari's in Winthrop, Washington that sells seafoam- my grandpa has a cabin there, we visit every year :) They have it dipped in chocolate too…wonder if it would ship well? :)

27. Leslie & Erik says:

I'm from Michigan as well….. although up north. WAY up north. This may sound weird but the only place I can find seafoam in my little town is the co-op where I buy my dog food. Weird I know… but it's surprisingly good!

28. SurrealDesign says:

Clementine is getting so big, she's gorgeous, and I love the quilt, I think you did fantastically.

I machine sewed my binding on till just recently, and found that the hand stitching really doesn't take very long and it looks so nice! :)

29. Diane says:

So, so, so ,so, so cute! this is darling!

30. FlippyTWS says:

It's a bit of a drive for you, but Horrocks in Lansing sells it in bulk. Yummy. It's a great family owned place with lots of goodies and great fresh fruit.

31. Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

Adorable baby on adorable quilt! You did an awesome job on both!!!

32. Mrs. Fix says:

Just adorable! I love the use of white!

33. Emily says:

Love it!

34. Rose and Leah says:

I'm checking in on past posts and I ran across this one. Very nice quilt – and the chocolate marks only serve as something to make it unique. I live WAY up north in MI (think, Keweenaw), but my in-laws are from MI's west side. And my sister-in-law makes sea foam all the time (it's her favorite treat – that and Divinity). She also dips it in chocolate occasionally. If you'd like the recipe just email me and I can send it you.

Leah

35. Tiffany says:

That quilt is lovely. I have just started learning to quilt this year and have done a total of 4 – 3 were crib-size and one was slightly bigger, like a lap quilt. I've only done blocks, as I have been afraid to try "patterns". I like this one, though – maybe you've inspired me to try it! (hee hee) Your designs are beautiful. I can't wait to see more.

36. Barb and Cody Schultz says:

Hello, fellow Michigander here!

Kilwin's has chocolate covered seafoam & they have quite a few locations throughout the state.

Best of luck, have a very Merry Christmas!

37. dana says:

totally cute. totally love it.

38. I am Arizona; a person, not a place. says:

If you ever feel like driving to the other side of the pond (Chicago), Seafoam is in almost every candy shop I've been in.

I love your bowtie quilt! Very cute!

39. kermiefrg says:

This quilt is gorgeous! Amazing job!

40. Helen190390 says:

I really love finding fabrics to quilt with but i cant seem to get the technique right. yours is beautiful :)

41. mrspelly says:

St. Laurent Bros. in Bay City has excellent Seafoam!

42. Christina says:

I LOVE this in these fabrics! I always love happy accidents…which I seem to have a lot of. :)