Happy Monday! Our final week of Boy Posts has begun. Today’s guest blogger is Kristena Derrick, creator of the beautiful blog Thimbly Things. Her blog is filled with stunning light-filled vintagey photos that make me want to hop over to Oklahoma and hang out in her house. I began reading Thimbly Things last summer, attracted by her wardrobe refashions, but have since found her blog has just a little of everything: kids clothes, toys, recipes, crochet, and so on. She recently opened an Etsy shop where she sells prints and handmade items. She’s currently obsessed with patternmaking, papercutting, sewing patchwork potholders and reading dottie angel. Kristena is married to her college sweetheart Evan (they just celebrated their 5-year anniversary on Friday) and has two toddlers Emily (3) and Jacob (almost 2). Today she’s here to share a beautiful soft baby book tutorial with us. Here’s Kristena:

Giving birth to my son, Jacob, may have been the greatest challenge of my life, but designing an original soft toy for him was, hands-down, the greatest challenge of my crafting life.

Jacob is so basic–so easy-going–that he doesn’t need much to be happy. One yellow car, Elmo, Emily’s babydoll (it’s true), Thomas the Tank Engine, hugs, kisses, and some boardbooks: that’s all it takes. Oh, and an open space in which he can run, do flips, sing, roar, dance, and hop-hop. Let’s not forget all that.

He is just uncomplicated.

So what does a crafty mommy make for such a content little heart?

Well, a book of course!

One that cannot be (easily) destroyed by tiny teeth, drool, or inquisitive little fingers.

One that is colorful and personal.

One that is washable.

And one that has many of Jacob’s favorite things.

Thus, I present to you the Soft Baby Book. Made from Mommy’s old jeans. ;)

Simple and perfect for the boy. Come see the tutorial and template at Thimbly Things!

Enjoy, dear friends!

:) Kristena

P.S. Thanks for hosting me, Rae! You’re awesome. :)

*****

Thanks so much Kristena for sharing such a fabulous tutorial! That would be perfect for a shower gift. I love it! I know one little baby girl who would love to have one of those too (and I’m sure I have at least one pair of jeans on “the pile”)…

Dana always has something amazing going on at MADE; hop on over:
And be sure to come back tomorrow for a double giveaway right here on Made By Rae!

Categories: CELEBRATE THE BOY, baby, tutorial

10 Responses to GUEST POST: Soft Baby Book by Kristena

1. laura may says:

That is just gorgeous. And, what makes it better, is that I know I could easily make that!! I love it.

lm.x

2. minivanlife says:

Wonderful! Loving all these ideas for boys.

3. Wendy says:

very cool, and what a lovely blog she has! Her printmaking is very, very neat.

Also wanted to let you know that the link is broken to the tutorial.

4. CraftCrave says:

Thank you! This blog post will be advertised on CraftCrave in the Handcraft category today (look for timestamp: [22 Feb 01:00pm GMT]).

5. Annette says:

I was planning to make a baby book for my boy this week, en was thinking how to do it, thanks so mucht for the idea…
    Cute boy Jacob is…

6. Kestlyn says:

I love this! Thank you so much for posting this great blogger and project! Here's one more great gift for baby boys :)

7. Ana says:

I think I'm entering "boy craft overload": so many projects I want to start that I'm paralized!

8. Mary says:

This is awesome! I have some of my sister's old jeans, so I might have to make a book for her daughter.

9. sharla@mylittlegems says:

Adorable! I love it!

10. liz stanley says:

these are so great. lovely