{new Top Week blog header, y’all}
MAY 1-7, 2010 = Spring Top Week

March 30 = FIRST DAY to enter your tops
April 30 = LAST DAY to enter your tops

We’ve got a couple months to go until Spring Top Week, but I want to give you plenty of warning so that you can start scheming about your creations now.  Spring Top Week is by far one of the campiest operations I manage to scrape together, but I know if you’re still reading my blog that doesn’t really matter to you (I *heart* my hard core fans…you don’t just breeze in for the free patterns and leave, you stick around for the good stuff).  Last year was a blast and we had around 100 tops entered. And for good reason: not many of us “selfish sew” often enough but that happens to be one of the requirements of this particular challenge, so it gives us a nice excuse. So what’s this all about, you ask?  Here’s how you can participate:

1.  Make a TOP for YOURSELF for SPRINGOr fall, for you Southern Hemisphere folks, it’s really all the same at the equinox, anyway.  I’ll accept any top started after March 1 for this challenge.  I’ll be making tops for myself as well.  Last year I made five, some self-designed, others from patterns.  You may submit up to FIVE tops total.

2.  Take a PICTURE of your top (pick your best/clear/well-lit photo and crop it to a square if possible)

3.  POST it to the Spring Top Week 2010 Flickr Pool (the pool will be open for submissions on April 1-30, 2010).  Post about it on your blog if you’ve got one. You’ll need to provide some other information (more on that later) in order to be officially entered.

4.  Hope you WIN.  For the week of May 1-7 we’ll post tops, tops, and more tops.  Last year I posted one of mine for every weekday and most likely will do something similar again.  We’ll have some sort of vote or judging and select a winner.  More on prizes later.

So off you go!  Get sewing!  And take a button with you to help us promote this thing (see sidebar for codes).  It will make you look ambitious and if even you don’t get your top made you can surreptitiously take it off in the dead of night when no one’s reading your blog.

GET MORE INFO ON SPRING TOP WEEK HERE…

Categories: info, spring top week 2010

49 Responses to Ladies and Gentlemen, start your sewing machines

1. Anna says:

yippee! (didn't see the code for the button on your sidebar – maybe I'm blind). :)

2. dana says:

Okay, love the header, LOVE the buttons, LOVE IT ALL! I'm glad you're doing it.
    And I can't wait to see what YOU make as well!

3. OneGirlCircus says:

I agree, great work on the header!

I am INSPIRED now to get on my "selfish sew." My fabulous friend Astrid had a gorgeous top in your contest last year (I think she even won?) and I swore then I'd participate the next time around.

4. 9crafty11 says:

i can't believe it's been a year already! Last year was so much fun! Love the buttons, wish I had a blog to place it on!

5. Annette says:

Good luck with it, I will follow it, have the button on my blog!!!

6. Millie says:

How exciting..last year was so much fun.

7. by night says:

I love the header design!! And as I am in a top mood (I just made 3 last week), I am very excited to join!

8. Max California says:

Oh how exciting, but I have goosebumps just thinking about it.

Right now it's been raining for two weeks straight, and the thought of a 'spring' top makes me shiver!

Nevertheless I am so in this! I'll be the one with chattering teeth and a frozen smile in the photos :D

9. Karin says:

Yea!

I really need some new tops for myself… this is a good nudge in the right direction. It will also be good to see what other people are making for inspiration.

10. Elvina says:

This sounds so much fun! I really need five moore tops after third baby…

11. Karen says:

Yes! I needed a reason to start thinking about spring sewing–my friend and I just both picked up some fabric from Mood in NYC (didn't run into Tim Gunn, unfortunately) and I'm getting to work on it!

12. Ana says:

Alright! I just found two patterns I bought last spring, so there we go.

13. Care says:

Can't wait!!!

I'm loving the header and buttons!

14. Andréann says:

I missed last year's but I'll be in for this one :) I NEED new tops as I'm gonna have a huge belly for spring!

15. ~Beth D. says:

on word: Yeah!

16. Helen190390 says:

wow! i can't wait to do something for myself! although i sew for my daughter, its really for me to aww at! im mostly looking forward to seeing what everyone else makes!

hollie-in-bloom.blogspot.com

Helenx

17. Kylie says:

Count me in – I'll grab the button and blog about it in the next few days.
    I came for the boys week and have stayed. Love our blog. Love K

18. Karin says:

What a fun idea, Rae, I'll be in!

19. Kari says:

Yeah! I loved Spring Top Week last year! Can't wait to start sewing something for myself…just have to decide on a pattern and fabric. Thanks for hosting this again!

20. lpquilts says:

Spring Top Week is how I first found your blog!

Are there rules? Do these have to be self-designed, or can they be made from a commercial pattern?

21. Philip, Melissa, & Summer says:

I don't make much for myself, so this should be interesting. I am looking forward to entering.

22. Andrea says:

Adorable … the 'sew yourself to the top' button … love it!
    I'll be sure to add it to my blog and I think I'll even go ahead and mark out a week or two of no custom orders just so I can work on a top or two for myself. I haven't made any for two years now … boo!

23. Sarah says:

Yahoo! I'm in!

24. Jemimah says:

yea! i am so excited! i just started reading your blog a few weeks ago and i'm hooked! got a badge and now i'm *sew* ready to go! thanks :o )

25. Mel says:

Yay, maybe I'll get done on time this year! =)

26. Lien says:

Sounds like fun. And I will certainly try to find some time for selfish sewing. (I m sewing 20 outfits for the preformance of my daugthers dance group right now).
    I live in Belgium so I m also wondering if I can enter the competition? (Otherwise I just sew a top for fun)

27. Sabra says:

WAHOOOO!! I've been sketching and collecting patterns already. Now to get to work.

28. wan says:

how funny – i guess i jumped the gun, because i made last year's spring ruffle top just this weekend!

29. Aunt LoLo says:

Heh. I'll try!!

30. Lynn says:

I'm so excited. There are a couple tops that I've been meaning to make for YEARS now (most notably, that built by wendy pattern 3835…)

31. the momma says:

This is so hard for me. I NEVER EVER EVER EVER sew for my TOP! (I on occasion make a skirt) Can I do it???….I still have time to decide. Maybe I'll be inspired….

32. katieg07 says:

i'm excited! I've been reading your blogs for a few months now, and I'm just so excited about this…i have no idea what I'm going to make yet, but me and my 11 month old will figure something out!

33. lorna says:

Oh, I was just wondering if you would host another Spring Top Week. I've needed motivation (and a deadline) to get started on some tops. Thanks!!

34. Christina Davis says:

I'm excited!! I've been reading your blog for about 1/2 a year now, and I love it! I made the Spring Ruffle Top recently (it was my first top ever!) I started a blog to showcase my sewing projects, but right now it's mostly Buttercup Bags and Lickety Split Bags that I have made as gifts. Thanks for sharing such great patterns and tutorials with us! I'm super excited about Spring Top week. I hope to get started on mine soon!!

35. Edris says:

I grabbed the button and now it's time to plan. Had fun making my one lonely top last year. I'm still wearing it so it's all good!

36. Jenny says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your new header! So excited about this since I wasn't even sewing last year at this time! I'm going to have to join in on the fun. I'll grab your button and start thinking about what to make.

37. Jenny says:

How fun! I would love to join in the challenge. I have really been enjoying your blog! I loved celebrate the boy!

38. Heather says:

I can't wait! Last year I voted but this year I'm entering with at least three tops that are already on the planning table. Two vintage patterns, a Japanese sewing book pattern, and a commercial pattern. Oh, wait, that's four! Yikes, there may be five.

Thanks for feeding my problem.

Heather

39. meganmini says:

I've had the fabric and I've had the patterns and this is finally the incentive to get going. So excited to sew for myself and see what others are doing. Also, I love the graphics.

40. Sew Chic says:

YES! i am so excited about this and look forward to sewing my way to the top! LOL

Love the new header and the colours they are so FRESH!

I took part last year and it was so much fun :)

Thanks Rae

41. Gottfredsen says:

I am excited to try and make my own tops. I try making things for other people all the time, but never myself. I really could use the new tops. FYI if any one is looking to pick up some patterns Joanns is having a Sale March 18th-20th, McCall patterns 1.99.

42. Melanie Bendis says:

I'm willing to give this a try! I've only made bags for myself, but if I can make a 3mo onesie, I can do anything ;)

43. Berry says:

Gulp! I've never made myself a top-I'm more of a cloth diaper/zippered bag/toddler clothes kind of person, but it's never too late to start, right? I think it's time I made something for ME!

I'm starting with the ruffle top tutorial!

44. Genevieve says:

yay! i love the header and the buttons- adorable! i've added a button over at my craft blog-

i never selfish sew! i do plenty for my daughter but never… well, rarely! do i make something just for me and just because! now, do they have to be tops or could i make a dress/cover-up and have it included? thanks! and i can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!!

genevievecurtis at gmail dot com

45. Lovely Lizzy says:

Yeah! My husband just bought me a Bernina this week and I would love to use it to make me a top!

46. hausmausblog says:

Yay! It was great fun last year and I just entered my first two spring tops for 2010! Thank your, Rae!

47. Cook Clean Craft says:

OK, I've officially committed to giving this a go (although it's an autumn top for this Aussie!). I'm looking forward to submitting my entry – time to hit the sewing machine.

48. Denise says:

oh boy! um I guess I better crank up the sewing a bit to get my top done by the 30th! eeks!

49. I have been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or blog posts in this kind of area .
    Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this site. Studying this info
    So i am happy to show that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what
    I needed. I most for sure will make sure to do not overlook this web site and give it a look on a relentless basis.