I’m still working to fulfill my goal of making more outfits than Baby C will be able to wear this summer, haha. My latest effort from the baby-sewing dept, Bunny Capris:

I know they practically look like shorts here but try and remember that C is a cloth diaper baby.  The fabric is Riley Bunnies by Anna Griffin (and hey look it’s ON SALE at Fabricworm right now…full disclosure: FW was one of my STW sponsors but I do not receive any sort of compensation for mentioning the shop, just trying to provide you with a place to get it).

The pattern is my Big Butt Baby Pants pattern (not yet published, that’s just another picture) for cloth diaper babes which I chopped off to make capris.  Oh so clever.  Those of you who have been begging me since forever to make it available will be happy to know that these capris put it one step closer to publication.  Still, tweaking that panel on the back so it’s just right is proving to be a bit of a challenge.  When the panel gets wider, the legs have to get narrower, blah blah.  These are size 12-18 months so they’re a little big on C, who will be a year old end of July.

Since the top I made these to go with had a nice demure ruffle over the sleeve, I decided to add them to the bottom of the leg…and then, well, I went a little crazy:

The result is a little over-the-top, even for me, but it’s cute and hilarious so we’re keeping it.  I’m still waiting to see how these wash up; knit ruffles definitely shrink up when they are washed so I’ll keep you posted.

Categories: baby pants, cloth diapers, clothes for girls

48 Responses to Bunny Ruffle Capris

1. Andrea says:

Love that ruffled big bum :D . Not often does a girl get to sport ruffles on her backside and actually pull it off … Miss C is doing is splendidly :D .

2. Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com says:

So cute! And it is tough making pants (or buying them) to fit all the way over the big diaper bum! Can't wait for your pattern!

3. Shannon says:

Hey Rae- Shannon that swapped you the NB diaper covers here! I posted a good tute on making oversized bloomers for CD babies on my blog:
    Concidence that they also have ruffles! And they're made from an old shirt- bonus! Cheers- Shannon

4. Keriann says:

they are adorable! And props to your for using cloth diapers! I think my husband would have a heart attack if I told him I was using those! I remember doing it for my siblings though….so not fun!

P.S. my baby boy is gonna be one end of July also the 21st to be exact. Do we have twin bday babies?

5. KID, MD says:

ADORABLE!!! Nothing is cuter than a ruffly bum crawling around. I love it!!

6. Katie says:

Haha! I love it. :)

7. Delia says:

The butt ruffles are too fun!

8. Melissa says:

Just the cutest! Both baby and babys ruffled butt! All my kids were cloth diapered and had the 'big baby butt' going on. And way back when my daughter sported her ruffles, they were called rumba pants. I like the big butt ruffles title better!!! Love them, good job!!

9. funplayroom says:

It is so cute!!!! Love it!

10. Myrnie says:

This is why we used to call my baby sister Ruffle Butt on Sunday mornings- Mom would put those frilly little panties on over her tights, to be fancy for church :) (Gosh, siblings can be rude!) Love it!

11. Bethany says:

Love the bum!!!
    And I have a question–what does her being a cloth diaper baby have to do with the size/fit of the capris? I've only experienced disposable diaper babies so I have no idea what you meant there….

12. Amber H. says:

Cloth diapers are a bit bulkier than disposables, so if you're sewing for a cloth diapered baby, you need to make more room in the back end and the seams in the crotch have to be adjusted accordingly.

With that said, these would also make cute and functional capris for little boys, minus the ruffles of course!

13. QuiltyGirl says:

Adorable!

My very least favorite part about ready made baby clothes is that they are all cut for disposable diapers! :(

14. mel says:

That is pretty funny. I have the same issue with clothies…big bum, frustating getting pants to fit. I have found that Oliver + S Sandbox pants are PERFECT! And you can easily make them shorts! Hooray!

15. Kestlyn says:

How adorable! Now my daughter wants ruffled bunny pants too…allow I may need to adjust the pattern since she is out of diapers ;) Great job and I can't wait to see the pattern!

16. Jo - To a Pretty Life says:

Ok, those are just adorable! Too bad my girl is too old (3) for bum ruffles. I don't think my husband would be too pleased if I put them on the baby boy.

17. Chris says:

The ruffles are a little over the top…but adorable nonetheless. Good luck with the pattern drafting.

18. Monique says:

At what age does a big ruffly butt stop being attractive? I ask because my baby always gets compliments on her meaty thighs, but I don't remember anybody complimented me on mine recently … This is sad, as I believe that the world would be a better place if big ruffly butts and meaty thighs were found worthy of compliments all ages. Don’t you think?

19. Sabra says:

Those are so stinkin' cute. The ruffled bum kills me! my mom gave me some old patterns that belonged to her mother, and I'm hoping to use those to help with making more cloth-diaper-friendly pants. Well, I'm assuming patterns from the 40s would be for CD babies anyway…

20. Christie says:

I LOVE these! They are so cute. Can't wait for the pattern!

21. Desiree says:

Love them. I just made shorts last week for my little one… also a cloth diaper wearer – they turned out a bit too snug, might have to up the size. These are way cute.

22. Jamie says:

So adorable!

23. Clare says:

How do you do it??
    Everything you make looks so beautiful!

24. Paula Kathlyn says:

These are absolutely adorable! Great job :)

25. Farah says:

It is hilarious. Ruffles and bunnies, Oh My! She can only pull that off at that age, so enjoy it.

26. Lynsee says:

So excited for these pants!! My daughter is a cloth diaper baby too and I hate trying to squeeze her fluffy butt into regular pants!

27. Melanie says:

Too cute! It does get frustrating squeezing a cloth tooshie into regular size pants!

28. Selina says:

So ridiculously sweet!

29. Christina Davis says:

I think every little girl needs a pair of ruffle butt pants!

30. OneGirlCircus says:

I don't know how these could be any cuter. They're already practically making me cry with their utter "adorableness" and cheeky ruffles.

Great work (and that baby C is one absolute beauty, that's for sure!)

31. Anna says:

the cutest pants EVER!! they're so so great, gotta love the bunnies. I definitely need to make a few for my youngest, all the stuff I have for her falls right off she's so skinny! kids – i tell ya!

32. Leslie says:

Rae- Please get that pattern out, and pretty please make it a free pattern.(I know I'm asking a lot). All my daughters pants are too tight since they are hand me downs from her siblings that I used disposables with. First I saved up for the cost of cloth diapers and now I can't afford bigger butt pants. I've love to sew some though. Please help!

33. Cerise says:

So so cute!! Love the bunny fabric!

34. Yolanda says:

Your fabric choices are always fabulous! That ruffled rear end is both cute and hilarious. A keeper for sure. And it will cushion her when she falls down, so practical too :) .

35. Pixiepurls says:

My girl will be a year in early August, hurry up and finish that pattern please so I can sew some for my fluffy butt girl! I can't buy any store pants for the poor thing! In the summer I like her in thin cotton pants because it protects her new walking legs from scratches etc! THose are SOOO cute in that pic. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

36. Lynds says:

Oh man that ruffle on the bum is way too precious!! I do declare that I need some of that fabric, thanks for sharing the link.

37. dana says:

oh my gosh. not over the top at all. Just amazingly cute. the bum ruffles?? oh MAN. LOVE. And I'm so glad you saved them for last and didn't give them away in the first pic. Well done miss Rae!

38. wan says:

i personally love the zillion ruffles :) i'm girly like that.

almost makes me wish the bean were still little enough to rock those.

39. Tara says:

Love the ruffles…and love that you're posting lots of ideas for little girls!!

40. Dottie says:

I can't wait for the pattern since my little girl is a cloth diaper wearer and must have her little legs covered since she's a bit of a scratcher.

41. Lynn says:

Please,please, please publish the pattern soon!My grand-daughter has to wear trousers that are a size too big to fit over the cloth diaper. Can't wait to make her some that will fit!

42. Angie says:

Oh I can't wait for that pattern! My little one is 5 weeks old and his little pants, oh dear! That little ruffled bum is too cute!

43. Brittany says:

Oh my stars… I cannot get over how adorable these are!

44. mushbelly says:

I love that fabric! I made my daughter a bubble skirt out of it, and we get compliments on it all the time. Love the ruffle butt!

45. Canning Tomatoes says:

I LOVE This!!! I used cloth diapers for both of my children and was always very frusterated that I had to keep numerous sizes of pants around for their big diaper butts! :)

Love the site, my neighbor Bev told me about you and I can't wait to do some of your adorable patterns.

46. mo says:

I adore the ruffled bum! My little girl has grown so far out of anything that sweet it gets me all nostalgic!

47. savvy stitch says:

Ok, those bunny capris are ADRORABLE and your baby is darling, too!)

48. Adri says:

Oh, I love this!! All these adorable girl outfits make me wish I had a girl to dress up!