I’ve finally gotten back my selfish-sewing mojo.  It disappears for a little while after Top Week as I tend to get completely burned out and never want to sew for myself again.  For about a month.  And then it comes back.  This time I made a knit shirt out of that recycled cotton stripe I used for the baby tights (tutorial and pattern can be found on the sidebar).

someone insisted on being part of the photo shoot
I drafted the pattern for wovens but when the sample came out a little too tight I decided to try it with knit instead.  I really will do any sort of trick to get out of hemming knits so the raw edge on the bottom just curls up, and rather than hem the arms I folded a band of fabric and half and just sewed it on.  Once that was done I felt it needed something else, so I added some pockets.  And by golly I think they’re actually slimming, with that vertical striping near the waist.
I really appreciated the posts on Sew Mama Sew this past month about sewing knits (and now of course I can’t find the category to link, sorry!); I used some “Lite Steam-a-Seam” for the edges of the placket and to hold the pockets in place while I sewed and it made sewing those edges much much easier (I think this trick came from Meg’s post?).  Another trick I’ve learned is to take a piece of paper (the thinner the better) and place it over the knit material under the presser foot; it fools your machine into thinking its sewing paper instead of knits and the whole process goes much better.  For curved seams I cut the piece of paper to match the seam and then just place it over the edge I’m sewing.  The needle creates a perforation in the paper that you can just tear away when you’re finished sewing.

What I like about the photo above is what you can’t see happening down at my feet. C discovered the kiddy pools and completely soaked herself and that cute boat dress.  Well that makes four outfits for today…

Categories: clothes for women

36 Responses to Made for ME: Red Stripey Knit Shirt

1. Karin van D. says:

Very cute Rae. I love the red and white combination, so fresh and summery.

And the scene at your feet: I recognize that. I'm changing clothes here every few hours too. Although I have to say: In the end I just let them run around without clothes. Much easier :-D

2. Julianne says:

Nice :) I am in awe of anyone who can work with knits!! I, on the other hand, am NOT experienced with knits.
    I've been looking for some women's top tutorials. I LOVE ur ruffle top! Am wondering if you know of any more?

3. Christie says:

That looks great. I love the pockets as well!

4. corinnea says:

Glad you got your mojo back. Very cute top!

5. Meg says:

So cute! I love how you make your own patterns. I'll get there one day.

6. Meg says:

Super, super cute! My favorite of yours this year!

7. Chris says:

Some great tips…I'll have to look up the sewing with knit stuff. I think I may have glossed it over because me and knit don't get along very well as of yet. :)

8. Beth says:

Wow! So beautiful!

9. A. says:

Wow – totally impressive. I love the pockets going the other direction!

10. mandiegirl says:

Way cute! I've never really sewn with a knit before…any tips?

11. Paula Kathlyn says:

ooooo la la! I love it!

12. Nikki says:

i love this top. i need to practice more with knits. someday i'll get it down.

13. savvy stitch says:

LOVE the new shirt and everything about it: sleeves, fabric, neckline, changing direction in the stripes etc.

Absolutely darling!

14. Care says:

Everything about it is so fantastic! I love the red and white, love the pockets, love the bands on the sleeves — perfection!

15. Tonia says:

Thank You for mentioning a knit sewing tutorial on the Sew Mama Sew website. I've been trying to sew on knits lately and I've been getting frustrated. I think this might be the post you were looking for: http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=8432

I went to look for it right away and I'm hopeing it will be helpful.

Thanks Again.

16. Grandma G says:

Very, very cute top! (And scene at your feet!)

I haven't sewn with knits for years, but previously used them a lot. I'll have to give it a go again. I just don't remember having much problems with them, so am wondering what all the hype is about. :)

17. ~april says:

totally cute! love the shirt! and i'm not really a fan of re, but you rock it..and even make me want one just the same!

18. Desiree says:

that looks great on you!

19. Jac says:

I definitely love this top!! Looks like something you would buy in the shops.. (only better of course!)
    Wearing red always makes me feel happier :)

20. Sabra says:

Oh I love the how the stripes contrast with themselves. Does that make any sense? Anyway, very fun shirt. So nautical, perfect with E's dress.

21. Kati says:

I LOVE the shirt! I want one, too! The red and white stripe is so cute and it definately makes it look slimming.

My blog: http://katislittlecorner.blogspot.com/

22. Julie says:

Thanks for sharing Ray. Have you tried any of the sulky products for stabilizing rather than paper. They are a little easier on your machine and needles. Great for any delicate or feisty fabric. Here is there website.

23. SummersDesigns says:

I love it, it is so cute and looks great on you!

24. K says:

Thanks for the sewing with knits tips. I'm hoping to make knit pants for my soon to arrive little one. I love the top and the contrasting directions really make it awesome. I really like the boat fabric on little one too! Did you make her top as well?

25. Joanne says:

Very cute top. Like the solution to hemming a knit, which i hate as well. I shall adopt non-hemming forthwith.

So hot here in London that the baby at my feet is mostly just in a nappy (diaper). It's easier that way.

26. LiEr says:

Very nice! And no need to fuss with set-in sleeves too! I just went and bought a whole lot of solid knits to sew stuff with. Plus matching ribbing. Ostensibly for the kids, but secretly I want to make entire dresses for myself before the snow comes. Ambitious. Also foolish. It may never happen, given the amount of playing and outdooring we've been doing. Hope your summer is going well – it looks like it! Yay!

27. Jenevieve says:

Love the top, I should try sewing something like that for myself. Good choice of fabric too, it looks great on you! :)

28. simplyval says:

Rae, I have been so inspired by your work. I would really like to try this shirt, but how do I get the bodice part "down". Are you using a certain pattern and customizing it? If so, may I ask what pattern you are using? Thanks for the placket tutorial! Thank you so much, a mom in need of inspiration
    vvkirkley@yahoo.com

29. Angie says:

I have been picking up thrifted knits in anticipation of your Big Butt Baby Pants Pattern, but maybe I'll just use a little for a top-! That is seriously cute!

30. Jenny says:

Love love love it! That shirt looks great on you… and I love the sleeves. I have never heard the trick about using paper when you're sewing knits! You're awesome Rae!

31. Marci says:

Love your use of stripes, really dramatic and so darn cute! Can't believe you can make your own patterns…amazing! I'd NEVER try that! Lovely!

32. Tauni says:

Love, love, love this top!!! Not only does it look comfortable and cute, but it is perfect for the holiday festivities this time of year…

33. The Cheap Chic Momma says:

Your top turned out crazy cute! I love the simplicity of the pattern and the timelessness of the red stripes!

34. Barbara says:

Oh! That's a really lovely top! I find it difficult with stripes but this I would definitely wear! So pretty with the red and white!

35. Tricia says:

I love the top, and thanks for sharing some tips on working with knits. I have a couple of projects that I am hesitant to start because I am pretty inexperienced with knits. I'll definitely be trying the paper trick.

Thanks!

36. Erica @ Acire Adventures says:

That is such a fantastic shirt! I love styles that play with stripes. Why do they have to be horizontal OR vertical? Why not do both? :)