Don’t fall out of your chairs…its a BOY POST!   Yes, it has been soooo long.  Someone even commented on my blog in May or June and pleaded “don’t forget the boys!” I haven’t forgotten, but somehow sewing for the baby girl just ended up dominating my summer.  (And pssst: for a load of other fantastic sewing projects for boys, you can also check out the Celebrate the Boy posts from February 2010).

I probably split myself about 50/50 when it comes to using a pattern or making one up.  But either way, I have always felt that it is important to have good, fail-proof patterns that you can use over and over again.  This is one of my new favorites.  I’m addicted actually.  It’s the Tee for Two from Patterns by Figgy’s.  UPDATED:  Here’s a link to the Patterns By Figgy’s shop where the patterns are sold.

This one is the third tee I’ve made with this pattern (the lion applique is my own addition), with a fourth in the works for E.  First I made a couple for C but like I said, there have been a ton of baby girl things on this blog lately so it’s time for a little break.  Plus his hair is pretty glorious right now and I had to show it off.  Let’s just be honest.

He’s going to start preschool a couple mornings a week pretty soon, and I keep going back and forth about whether to cut his hair or not.  While I am all for respecting your child’s wishes when it comes to hair (he says he doesn’t want it cut), at the very least it needs a trim.  He’s starting to look like a Wild Thing.  And he gets mistaken for a girl all the time, but we don’t get too ruffled by that sort of thing.

OK but back to the pattern.  Here’s a few things I loved about it:

• It’s simple and quick. I am all for the fast project.
  • I love the raw edges on the outside, which also makes the inside super-soft.
  • It can be dressed up with appliques or freezer-paper stencils or whatever.  Love the blank slate when it comes to kids clothing.
  • It comes with long-sleeves too.
  • No hemming on the sleeves or bottom.  What’s not to love about that?

In addition to all these things there’s a gathered version for girls, although being so versatile this version is obviously a great a gender-neutral option too.

If you’re nervous about sewing with knits, you may find this tutorial helpful.  But in fact I must admit to you that I did not use any of these things such as stabilizers and tacks and such, just put a stretch needle on my trusty Bernina and went to town.  I hate to say this because it really is the Beginner’s Dilemma (when you’re first starting you don’t want to invest much in a machine), but I have found that my Bernina can tackle knits with very few issues whilst the cheapy Singer machine I bought right after college gets all loopy and jammed.  And so it goes.

I’m a huge fan of the raglan style, especially for boys (raglans are shirts where the sleeve pieces go all the way up to the neckline instead of stopping at the shoulder). I made this one with the veggie stencils for E awhile back with this same orange fabric on the sleeves.  The one shown below I commissioned earlier this year from Karen of OneGirlCircus (she and Shelly of Figgy’s Studio co-own Patterns By Figgy’s).  I la-la-love these clouds and birds. If you want one of your very own you can also buy one ready-made here.  Heck I want one in my size.

Karen and Shelly also wrote this lovely tutorial on how to embellish knits over on Sew Mama Sew which is fantastic.  I used a slightly different double-sided interfacing but the idea is basically the same.  I also wanted the stitching to stand out, so I went with brown.  Which was ballsy I know so thank goodness it worked.

The lion looks a little tame and less ferocious than what I was going for.  To make up for it E has been roaring loudly all day.  So cute.  He’s growing up too fast.  Waaaaaah!

OK, I’m not going to dwell on that, have a Happy Monday!

UPDATED for Full Disclosure: Since meeting in “real life” earlier this year, Karen and I have become friends and now have playdates with our kids every few weeks or so.  I guess that’s just how life goes.   I actually didn’t have the full pattern when I wrote this post since Karen had given me a computer printout taped together with masking tape precut to Elliot’s size.  Since the writing of this post PBF’s has very kindly given me a Tee for Two pattern so now I can at least claim to own a real copy.  Am I biased in writing this post? Absolutely. Does that mean this pattern is any less awesome?  I sure hope not!

Categories: clothes for boys

24 Responses to Lion Raglan Tee for the Boy

1. KID, MD says:

I think our boys-about-to-start-preschool have the same "haircut"! I'm undecided about cutting it, too. My boy-o has no opinion…

2. Candy (Mama Lion) says:

i LOVE the lion pattern, but I'm partial to it :) I also LOVE the long hair but I'm also partial to that :) I think it looks great and it's different. My little guys don't cut their hair but we do it for religious reasons. I like it. I say keep it!

3. Care says:

I looooove it! :o )

And that hair really IS fantastic!

4. Will , Deborah, Catelyn & Tripp says:

Hi! First of all…I have to tell you that I LOVE your blog. I have it as a favorite on my personal blog so I can make sure not to miss any updates of the great projects you do. :) Second, I have a question. I absolutely love the post you did about the "tee for two" and I checked out the link, but how do you buy it? My email address is deborahlawler@yahoo.com. Thanks for all your craftiness…you keep me inspired!!

-Deb

5. Heather says:

Oh that drives me nuts when people assume a boy is a girl because of his hair. People did that to my son all the time. I even had a guy ask me, "Really!!!" when I told him he was a boy. Um..yeah, I think I would know.

Love Patterns by Figgy's!!! Awesome patterns and awesome ladies!

6. Ruth & Asher says:

This came out great. The appliqué is totally tame but awesome.
    I wish my hair could look that great too. My vote is to leave it.
    Hammer & Thread

7. Meg says:

Just when I thought that kid couldn't get any cuter! I love the hair! With it long, he looks remarkably like a hipster friend of mine.

Aslo, plotting the sewing of the cloud and bird shirt in my size. Seriously. I love it.

8. Tricia says:

It turned out great. I've been working a lot with knits lately and I love that you don't have to finish the edges as well. It looks great and so does the applique. I'll have to check out the pattern.

9. Vic says:

Oh, my! I am just about dying of cute right now – the shirt, the lion, the BOY! I adore his hair…!

You make me want a more $$$ sewing machine though, mine is very pernickity about knits, making me apprehensive…. but it is a bit like that with most things, to be honest, it has a (grumpy) personality all it's own…

10. KJ@letsgoflyakite says:

I don't have boys (2 girls), but I read this entire post. Absolutely love this Rae.

11. EmmyLizzy says:

Looooove the shirt! Isn't the Tee for Two such a great pattern? I just made the T-shirt dress for my little girl – it was my first time sewing with knits and I am just all aflutter at how amazing it turned out! What's funny is that I actually met you while buying this pattern at the Patterns by Figgy stand at Maker Faire Detroit. Glad to see you had fun at the Blueberry Hill workshop!

12. Jenny says:

I have this pattern but have yet to make it… I'm so glad to see the ones that you have made! it's motivating me to get to work on their fall/winter shirts! Awesome!

13. Jessica says:

I love the lion!! Adorable!

14. Ammie says:

Hooray! (I admit it. I fell out of my chair. THANKS!)

15. Mustang65 says:

I LOVE his hair!!

16. dana says:

ooooo. fun!
    I guess we had boys on our mind at the same time! :) haha.
    Love it Rae. And seriously, how cool is E's hair? That second photo is awesome.
    Okay, I'll email you back tomorrow about C. The boy stuff.
    have a good night!

17. Kimberly says:

OK, his hair is freaking fabulous – but those lips! What a darling! The lion shirt is over-the-top cute, as well as the darling clouds and birds and veggies. Dig it!

18. Ruthie says:

DONT CUT IT!!! Its waaaay more fun dealing with all the other people who seem to have an opinion about it…my son has his hair a bit shorter than yours (he is 10) – it is styled so his fringe on one side is over his mouth – he looks cool – he has a big head so looks really awful with short hair! I have had teacher's, neighbours and my MIL tell me it should be cut…he loves it! End of argument – I believe its his hair and, within reason, he can have it how he wants as long as its clean!!! Only last week we trimmed it – within two days, was talking to a neighbour and she said it looked like it was due for a cut! Sooo funny! I like kids that know what they want!

Rx

19. anilia says:

so fab. I never want to cut my little guy's hair, even if everyone is sure he is a girl forever!

20. mle says:

So cute Rae! And wow, that is some amazing blond hair! my sister was white/blond like that.

21. Laura's Loot says:

Dear Rae,
    This kid is cute. I don't know how you ever made it out of the house and to Vermont. But it was nice to meet you! – Laura

22. Janica says:

Darlingly ferocious! Rae, that applique is so FUN! And I would totally go for that cloud shirt in Misses sizes:) Perhaps for SpringTop week 2011? haha:)

23. Haylee says:

That lion shirt is soo cute! I want to make one like it for my nephew now.

24. kjansma says:

His hair is beautiful. I have two girls, but my husband and I decided last year that we will not control their hair decisions (even if we try to subtly influence them). They really have very little control over their worlds and we just decided that hair was not going to be a battleground.