How exciting is this? Today the amazingly talented Liesl Gibson (sewing pattern and fabric designer, blogger, and creator of Oliver+S) has agreed to talk to us about sewing for boys and how details can really make boys’ clothing special! Liesl will also be giving away a set of three boys patterns from the the Oliver + S collection!

I had the pleasure of meeting Liesl last summer at the Weekend Sewing Workshop in Vermont and it was so much fun watching her work and learning from her! Turns out we went to the same college and her parents knew my aunt and uncle in grad school once upon a time. Small world! I hope you all have the chance to meet her someday; in addition to being a fantastic designer she is one of the sweetest human beings on the planet.

photo by NoodlesHandmade

In her post today, Liesl’s going to show us some adorable boy clothes that customers have sewn from her patterns. Liesl’s upcoming book, Oliver+S Little Things to Sew, also features many patterns that are perfect for boys. I am SO excited for this book (and as of yesterday: it’s now available)!!!

Here’s Liesl:

“Sometimes it seems like girls have all the fun when it comes to clothing and sewing. After all, we can wear dresses and skirts, and that means we have twice as many clothing options as the boys, who get stuck with just shirts and pants. But as a former menswear designer, I know that guys’ clothing can be just as interesting and attractive as what the girls wear. It’s all about the attention to detail. You can include little surprises and special elements in your sewing that will make boys’ clothing just as fun make and to wear as girls’ clothing, and once you get going you’ll find that your creative options are endless. I hope we’ll inspire you to try a few ideas by showing you some of the clothing our customers have sewn.”
If you’d like to peruse more Oliver + S goodness, you can check out the links below:

Read more posts about her upcoming book
Watch a video trailer for the book
See more of the Oliver+S patterns for boys
Take a look at the Schooldays Coat Sewing Pattern (another fabulous sewing pattern for boys, shown below)
See Liesl’s fabric collection, City Weekend for Moda (which has several fantastic boy-friendly prints)
Preview her upcoming fabric collection, Modern Workshop (coming to stores this April!)

Thanks so much for joining us for Celebrate the Boy, Liesl!

Categories: guest posts

7 Responses to Guest post: Liesl Gibson of Oliver+S

1. Cathy says:

I got her book delivered from Amazon yesterday. I've thumbed through it and can't wait to get started!

2. Rachel says:

What a wonderful giveaway! I'm going to have to order myself a copy of the book.

3. Rachel Le Grand says:

i look forward to seeing her book !!!

4. Rosalie says:

Fantastic, I've been waiting for the book, off to order a copy now!

5. Karen says:

time to order the book, you know I'm addicted to craft books!!

6. ~Beth D. says:

another book to add to my list! Thanks for sharing.

7. Cristin says:

By chance did you go to Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI? I thought I read in the Spark that Liesl Gibson was a Calvin Grad… hmmm. I graduated from there in '03 and my husband in '04!