I meant to have a nice roundup post yesterday to end our Boy Month here (it was March 15 yesterday), but I got crazy sick and haven’t been able to hold myself upright for the last couple of days. I’m feeling a little better today, but MAN. I know this is just going to sound redundant but it seems like when your kid is in preschool the whole family is sick all. the. time. Like every day we send him is like pushing him into a germ factory and saying “Best of luck with that immune system, little dude! Try not to bring anything home with you!” I think of all those little puzzle pieces and bingo markers and play foods covered with microorganisms. How often do you think they clean that stuff? Probably never. Typical week: he gets sick on Tuesday because he caught something at preschool on Monday and then can’t go on Wednesday because he’s still recovering from whatever it was he caught on Monday. Then I get sick a few days later. I stick with it because I think wow by kindergarten he’s going to have Superhuman Antibodies and never ever get sick again. Does that sound as idiotic as I think it does? OK, enough whimpering about being sick, Rae! MOVE ON!

I have a few extra boy projects of my own that didn’t quite make the cut this month when it came to posting but I thought this orange tie-dye shirt was worth showing. I made it for one of Elliot’s little friends whose favorite color happens to be orange. I made a similar one for E last summer, there’s a brief how-to on that post if you’d like to make one too.

And I just wanted to show you guys a couple more tutorials that showed up in the pool. First, here’s how to make a stuffed Bullseye from Toy Story by Jessica of Running with Scissors:

Handmade Bullseye Toy Softie

And Jessica’s got a bunch of other fantastic stuff for boys over at her blog.  I love these little dino tails (click on the pictures for the tutorial link)!

Dino Tails

Categories: CELEBRATE THE BOY 2011

30 Responses to Wrapping up Boy Month

1. Kimberly says:

Thanks for all the hard work on CTB…I am sure that contributed to your bug catching as well…you and Dana had some fab, fab stuff as always.
    In regards to how often stuff in preschools gets cleaned I can't speak for in the US but in Canada all daycares and preschools are regulated by the government. I used to be a teacher in a daycare and we cleaned all the toys weekly (diluted bleach and water) and we also washed them in addition to that if a child came down with something really contagious like strep or chicken pox. Lots of work! Trust me they do not pay preschool and daycare staff nearly enough!
    And no you aren't crazy…he will be less susceptible to stuff when he goes to Kindergarten.

Hope you all feel better very soon!

2. Rae says:

K: Thanks! Yes, I'm sure you're right that overworking myself a little here probably has more to do with it than anything else.

And you are totally right, I'm sure they do clean the toys frequently, and yes E's wonderful preschool teachers are definitely paid less than they deserve…thanks for that reminder!

My apologies to the hard-working preschool and daycare folks out there. That's what happens when I grumpy-post, haha!

3. Sheri says:

I have worked in preschool for 21 years. My secret germ fighter? A little neosporin wiped around his nostrils each morning in the car. Anything we can breath in will get trapped in the antibacterial. A simple precaution! :)

4. Twins Squared says:

Thanks for such a super fun month of "boy stuff". I am sad to see it end. Thanks for all of the inspiration.
    P.S. I taught Kindergarten for 8 years and you could tell which children hadn't gone to preschool because they were the ones who where sick ALL the time. See, your theory isn't crazy!

5. bdaiss says:

I am so making some dinosaur tails this weekend – those are so adorable!

And you're so right – your little guy will be much tougher come kindergarten. One advantage to daycare – you get all the crud out of the way when they're young enough not to be hit too hard.

Here's hoping you can rebound soon!

6. Brittany says:

Everything K said is how we were told to do it in the MI preschool I worked at. So hopefully your son's school follows that too. :)

-Brittany

7. Kristy says:

Cute! Thanks for the links, love that snake!!

8. Tiphaine says:

Hey Rae, that really was an incredible boys month !!! so much ideas, great projects, thank you so much to Dana and you and all the guests !!!

I don't know by which one to start….

I can't get through to funkyfriends…

Wishing you to gt well very quick !!!

from here to you !!!

9. Jessica says:

I love that orange tie-dye, I might have to try it.

Thanks for all your work for boy month!

10. Jodi says:

My eldest is in preschool this year and we are having the same problems! UGH! I'm so sick of being sick.

11. OneGirlCircus says:

You did such a wonderful job corraling all the beautiful tutorials and fabulous tips and tricks. Again, a wealth of boy-themed beauty to last for years to come, thanks to your nifty archives!

Feel better soon!

Karen

12. Clover says:

I here you we have been sick so much this year from preschoo first my 4 yr old then the baby then me.

I am a horrible sick person so complain away I get it.

Your CTB has been awesome. THANKS for all the hard work. I wish I had half your creativity and sewing skills!

13. Pink Stitches says:

I don't want Boy Month to be over!! :( I loved everything that was featured. Wish I had the time to make everything!! Lovin those dino tails… another one added to the evergrowing list!

14. Amber says:

Loving the dino tails too! My son's preschool teacher asked me to make up some dress up items for the little boys she has; all the boys have is one or two cowboy hats! With the dino tails and Dana's vest pattern, I'm thinking I can make up several different things for them!

15. Bianca says:

haha, sounds like if you skip Monday, the germs will take out all the weak kids, and by Wednesday, there'll be no bugs left!

Hows that for a plan of action.

16. Bree says:

Just jumping in to reassure you that this will pass. My daughter started daycare at 3 months and was sick off and on for the better part of two years. Cut to her first year of preschool and, BOOM, barely any sickness. It finally paid off! Now my youngest is home with me so what will this mean when it's time for her to go to school? I can only hope her sister passes on some of those preschool germs now or we're going to be in a heap of trouble.

Feel better!

Bree

17. Vanessa/NessieNoodle says:

I am in love with those tails!

thanks again for boy month- it has been so fun, once again.

18. Emily Elizabeth says:

Booo! Sorry to hear that you were sick. But just wanted to say that you and Dana did an amazing job on Boy Month – now take a break! (And hire movers :)

19. Lizzy says:

Aw–boy month is over already? Thanks for doing that–it is awesome to get so many great ideas for our sweet little boys in one place! I totally sympathize with you about catching EVERYTHING in the preschool set. We are in the same boat! Here's to hoping those little immune systems are like a brick wall by kinder! =)

20. Sascha says:

Sorry to hear you are sick, but it's proof! Proof that you are indeed a human and not a robot like I had feared. Thanks for letting me share my tutorial. I've already heard one of my readers has purchased Lego base plates and has all the wood ready for a Lego table. I can't wait to see pictures.

p.s. Have a safe move.

21. Rae says:

Thanks guys for all the well-wishes and appreciation for Boy Month!

Tiphaine: Thanks for bringing that first link issue to my attention; I think I'm just going to take it down for now since it looks like there isn't a free pattern there after all.

22. gret says:

Yep. We get it. Totally. They say "ten colds a year" when they're in preschool/daycare, but I'm certain it's more for us! Our local doctor thinks that my daughter has surely now developed immunity to every last common virus out there in the community because we've been sick so often!! At least you're heading into summer…not so with us.. I'm sure this will mean a more solid immunity come 'big school'.

23. Maggie says:

I adore the tie dye shirt! Great for boys and girls. Sorry you are sick, something is sweeping through our family too. You are not off base with the building the immune system, though. My 9 year old RARELY gets anything, probably because she had EVERYTHING as a preschooler in day care. Hope you feel better soon.

24. Sarah says:

Even though I have no boys, I have really enjoyed the month and have my eye on one or two things that I think would work well for my girls. We have lego which may need a sack not to mention all the tiny Polly Pocket/Peppa Pig/dolly bits around my house! I wanted to thank you for the fun posts and also for a post which I now can't find my way back to! The wee post you did on photographing your work was really helpful to me – thanks!
    Sarah
    x

25. Rae says:

Hi Sarah:

I feel the same way, the boy stuff translates pretty easily to girls :)

The link you're looking for is here: http://www.made-by-rae.com/2010/09/rae-shows-you-how-she-takes-pictures.html

26. Christie @ A Lemon Squeezy Home says:

Love your comments on sending off to get killer immune systems. So true. That's what I keep thinking and I can so relate! I feel like my kids are sick all the time!

Feel better!

27. Carolyn says:

Dear Rae,

Thanks so much for an awesome CTB month. I can't believe it is over so soon, now you can get some much needed rest! Thanks for letting me participate, get in touch for next year :)

A friend of mine kept her son home with her until kindergarten then got her first job in a while. Well, she was out for at least a month b/c her son brought everything home with him everytime he went to school, which wasn't very often! She still doesn't know how she didn't get fired. They say that the more stuff they get before 5 the less likely they will be to get asthma and a whole host of other immune stuff later in life, so definitely worth it! Best to you and your family!!! Carolyn

28. K n N says:

I have been loving all the crafts for boys, especially since I thought I could never make anything for my son. You have given me much inspiration!

29. bethanndodd says:

I simply LOVED CTB!!! Thank you SO much for all of your time that was put into creating this fun and inspirational 30 days! Hope you and the rest of the family feels better soon!!

30. Clodagh a.k.a. Isra says:

thank you for such wonderful inspiration and all your hard work, both you and Dana rock!