I pulled out our chalkboard from the garage the other day (just a piece of plywood spray-painted with chalkboard paint, idea from here) and it has been magically keeping my kids occupied for long stretches of time. The spray bottles are key.
he was drawing a flower for me here. my heart totally melted away.
my grandma made this sweater for me when I was little

It’s around 40 degrees outside but they don’t care. They keep asking to go out on the porch and “do chalkboard.” I sit on the other side of the sliding door and watch from  inside, nice and warm. Judging from the fact that occasionally they sneak outside in their bare feet, I don’t think they even notice how cold it is. Why is that? It’s crazy!

Bunny pants blogged here.
Whale coat blogged here.

Categories: Uncategorized

20 Responses to Chalkboard!

1. Laura @ ON{thelaundry}LINE says:

hahaha, I totally watch Nicole play from the warm cozy side of glass all the time. She's addicted to the sandbox this year, it's uh-mazing. She's got to be freezing in there, I don't think it's gone over 20 degrees celcious once yet, but hey, awesome! You go girl, you get sand in your hair and mud under your nails! I'll supervise.

2. T says:

We love to host grown-up dinner parties on our back deck when it's warm: when our kids (ages 2 and 4) get restless, we let them go to town on the french doors with spray bottles of water/vinegar and old t-shirts. We get to relax with our friends and end up with sparkling clean doors to boot!

3. Emily Elizabeth says:

This is totally on my to-do list. And thanks for the spray bottles tip – that would make things ten times more fun!

4. Lisa says:

What a fantastic idea! We have a chalkboard easel inside the apartment that Peter loves, but he doesn't like having to ask me to wash it off for him. I will have to employ the spraybottle.

5. Chris says:

It is usually the simple things that work the best to keep my kiddos happy. What fun!

6. Megan says:

we LOVE chalkboards around here too! never have used spray bottles though. Going to give that a try! :)

7. zarina says:

I too can never understand. All my little people will never want to shower with warm water – even if it rains. For me, if I can brush my teeth with warm water I will.

8. Elizabeth says:

I am so doing this. We have two unused chalkboards in our basement, they will love it!

9. Grandma G says:

How fun! Lovin' that sweater… what an heirloom!

10. Bethany says:

There are few things more satisfying than "doing chalkboard." Especially when you're not a teacher who would have specific things to write on it :)
    If they had chalkboard paint when I was wee I'm pretty sure I would have made my dad paint my whole bedroom that way.

11. Machteld says:

That is so cute! I painted my coffee table with chalkboard paint, that was a great succes.. except for the mess ;)

12. luvinthemommyhood says:

That looks so fun! They are adorable and I'm totally loving that sweater that Clementine has on! I would love to find that pattern – it's so pretty! I'm going to have to try this chalkboard thing in our place :) But I'm with ya on the staying inside and supervising, sounds like a good idea.

13. Karin says:

They are having so much fun, and how cute they look!

14. :: Andrea :: says:

this is totally on my to-do list now! my twins would love it!

15. Desiree says:

They are entirely too cute :)

16. Myrnie says:

You're nicer than I am- I just send 'em out with spray bottles, to water the yard :)

17. Katie says:

That is an amazing sweater! Is there any chance you could point us in a direction of a pattern? Thanks!

king.katie.e@gmail.com

18. OneGirlCircus says:

look at those sweethearts!! Oh we miss you so much.

19. mizboo says:

I also give my son a paint brush or two and a small cup of water. He draws on the board, he "paints" with the water over it, and then he sprays it down. The three step process adds to the excitement and takes a little longer!

20. erika @ small shop says:

GREAT idea! My little one would love this!