I made these little flags a couple weeks ago as cupcake toppers for Clementine’s 2nd birthday. They were a real hit with the kids and the other day when she found a flag that had been dropped in the lawn and forgotten, she picked it up and said “Happy birthday to me?” Yes, yes.

They’re very simple to make; I used origami paper but any printed stationery or wrapping paper would work too. Super-easy, super-quick! Here’s how:

A note about the Xyron: Purchasing this gadget was a little silly (as I’ve mentioned above, a glue stick works just fine for this project), but it comes in handy every once in awhile for making stickers or sticky things like labels and so I used it here to present myself with the illusion that I am getting my money’s worth. If you really want one you can find them for about $15 at craft stores with a coupon or when they go on sale. This one makes a sticker that is 2.5″ wide max, but there’s also a smaller one that is even cheaper.

If you’re curious as to how it works, basically you just shove your paper into one side…

turn the crank, and they come out on the other side as stickers:

Yum!

Categories: Homepage Slider, tutorial

10 Responses to Tutorial: Make Cupcake Flags!

1. Jackie says:

I love them! I know that I’ll forget by the time the December birthday season rolls around, so I’m off to ‘pin’ the idea…

2. Louisa says:

What a cool idea! I think I need to make cupcakes just so I can decorate them.

3. Maggie says:

cute idea and easy! My daughter’s birthday is next week, so I think I will have to make some of these.

4. dana says:

I love making these! I’ve done mine with file labels…but your tricky sticky tape machine is really cool. Gotta get me one of those! Cute cute.

5. Molly says:

These are so cute! I love that paper you used, too. Lovely.

6. Ohhhhh…great job Rae! Love them! I’m on my way over to eat some cupcakes :P

7. i am totally into that sticker gadget. so many cool stickers! very cute topper- simple, pretty and not too complicated. Just right!

8. Very cute! I hadn’t thought about using the xyron sticker maker! Dur. But maybe, I could keep the paper, long and use it like the decorative, sticky tape. Cute!

9. joquena says:

What a fun way to customize birthday cupcakes and make them look cooler! I’ve considered buying cheap toys and jewelry to put on top of my cupcakes so they’re like the one from the deli!

10. Tamara says:

So glad I found your tutorial. I need to make some flags for my event next week and couldn’t find any cupcake flags I like. I’m not crafty, but I really think I can make these! :-)