Alright, here’s another spring top by moi…made with the same striped knit as Elliot’s tee (posted last week, see that link for fabric source), and yes, he asks me to wear it every time he wears his so we can match. And do I? OH YES I DO. Do not think me so short-sighted as to believe that this will last forever. The things you do that you said you’d never do…*sigh*

I think it looks good with this red skirt and my bright pink skinnies. Woot!

The pattern came from a trace of a stretch tee that fits well. I plan to teach a class on how to do this in Ann Arbor this summer for all you SE Michigan folks, so that should be fun. The sleeves aren’t quite where I want them to be, fit-wise (do you see the creases under the arm? those need to be corrected), but otherwise am very happy with the fit. One hint: when using a pattern traced from a t-shirt, be sure to use the same type of knit as the original tee to make sure you get a good fit. The tee I traced was rib knit, and so is this, so the fit was almost exactly the same.

Our Spring Top Sewalong is drawing to a close; today the judges make their final selections and we’ll have this week’s “Top Tops” up on the blog on Wednesday, so be sure to come back and vote. KCWC is going on over at Elsie Marley, and Ruffles 2012 is going strong at See Kate Sew, so there’s plenty to do to keep you busy. And keep selfish-sewing, y’all — if you missed the deadline for this year, it’s OK. The pool will re-open on Wednesday so you can continue to add your top creations for fun!

What’s on your sewing radar this week?

Categories: Homepage Slider, Spring Top Sewalong 2012, clothes for women

19 Responses to Striped Knit Top (for me!)

1. Jill says:

I love this top! Favorite!

2. Nina says:

Ooh, nice! I didn’t manage to do anything with it in time for Spring Top Sewalong, but I have a piece of lovely Gossypium organic striped single jersey in my stash which really needs to be worn this year!

3. Karen says:

OOoh I love it. I want to make that knit a chevron front top (since horizontal stripes on me are a Very Bad Thing) from this awesome pattern. Can’t wait for your class!

4. Kris says:

I’ve been reading your blog for a long time now (though rarely a commenter, sorry!), but I’m moving to Ann Arbor this summer and hope I’ll be there in time for your class! :)

5. Kristin says:

I love it with the pink!!!

6. larissa says:

What a great eye you have. Love that the neck has such a neatly turned line around it. It fits you so well. Sigh. I will get unafraid of knits. I will get unafraid of knits.

7. Erin says:

Love this top! That neckline is fabulous! Looks great on you.

8. kate says:

Thanks for the shout-out Rae!! I need to stop planning ruffles while the spring top sew-a-long is going on so I can focus on making tops!

You look so cute in your striped shirt and high waisted skirt! Thanks for the great series.

9. sascha says:

Oh that’s funny… when you posted E’s shirt I thought to myself, “now I’ma have to get some of that for a stripe t for me”. This is pretty close to what I pictured. Thanks for the motivation. Wish I could have at least posted one shirt for Spring Top Sewalong. I did manage to cut one out and half sew it together!

10. Lisa says:

here I thought we were going to be treated to a Mamma and her boy picture!

11. Anshu says:

It looks gorgeous with the red skirt. I would totally wear a matching one with my daughter.

12. anna says:

drop dead lovely rae. you look so pretty. and the tee, yummy perfection. I would love to join in on a class, hopefully you’ll fill us in on the details and maybe I can make it work!

13. Monica says:

That neckline is so impressive. Really adorable outfit.

14. Amber H says:

Very cute top!! I especially love it with the red skirt.

15. Janica says:

Super cute Rae!

16. lindsay says:

Woot, indeed! Love this top- so perfectly versatile and stylish. Cute, cute, cute.