I just finished a set of valances for my kitchen out of Melody Miller’s “Happy Dishes” print from her latest line for Kokka. As we are currently renting, I have very little control over the fact that my kitchen, with its dark countertops and horrid cement-hued-blah wall, is a bit drab. The cheery colorful dishes in this print are just what the doctor ordered.

I put up a pompom garland (you might remember the pompoms in their earlier stages here) over the kid’s table. This has been up since before Christmas, but now that we’re well into the winter months, I think I’ll just keep it up to add a little bit of happy to our days.

{I purchased this particular Melody Miller print at Pink Castle (who currently just has the pink dishes print but has others in that line) but a quick search shows that Pink Chalk has it, Dry Goods Design as well as Fabricworm. I’m sure others carry it as well; search for “Happy Dishes” by Melody Miller}

Don’t you enjoy peeking in other people’s houses? You can see more of mine in this post and this one.

Categories: at home, garland

21 Responses to Happy Kitchen

1. Karen says:

Looks like you need to make some tea and have a seat! I love your new valances!!

2. Annie says:

Oh, gosh, I’m so glad I’m not the only person who likes to peek at other peoples’ homes! Thanks for the mini-tour.

3. erin says:

love these happy colors. i need some of that garland!

4. Katie says:

Cute! What a cheery little kitchen! I always love a good peek into someone’s happy (and pretty) home. :)

5. Oh, the joys of renting! Our kitchen is a crazy aubergine colour. Your valences look fabulous, and have persuaded me that perhaps I could think about removing the (clashing) purple valances left for us by the landlord and put up something a little prettier….

6. Oh, how beautiful! I love the happy colours. And you might now like your kitchen as is right now, but I have to say that in these pictures it looks very sunny and like a warm and comfortable spot.

7. Lise says:

Yes, I LOVE seeing into other people’s houses! Your kitchen is so cheerful. That fabric would be perfect in my kitchen, too! You’ve inspired me…

8. Rachel says:

Yes – I love looking at other people’s houses. It’s just so fun, I think. And that is one lovely, happy kitchen. I am quite smitten with the pom pom garland.

I’d take your kitchen over my white-vinyl-floor-white-melamine-cabinet-gray-formica 90s kitchen any day of the week, especially with that fun valance and pom pom garland! I’m a big fan of blog house tours too. :)

also: bruce vilanch

10. abby says:

So cute and happy! We are moving in 3 weeks into our own home. After renting for 10 years it will be exciting to be able to attach things to the walls and paint something if I think it’s ugly.

11. subha says:

love it – super cute! i especially love the garlands!

12. Julia says:

cute!
    could you tell me about that little village over the door?

Hi Julia,
      So I bought those at a garage sale for $1 a few years back. Later I saw them online and realized they are a specific german brand of toy and actually worth a bit…but of course I can’t remember what they were called. Anyway, not much help there, eh?

13. Sarah says:

I love the light above your kitchen sink! x

14. DivaMomCarol says:

Oh Rae! I can’t help myself in saying this:
    That fabric is SOOOOOOOOOO adorable you must back it with some lining or that Michigan Sunshine will eat right through it…DivaMomCarol

15. Susan says:

If my kitchen looked like this, I might learn to cook ;)

16. Rochelle says:

Where did you get the cute kids table?

17. Larissa says:

I love your new valances! I’m still struggling mightily with my kitchen curtains and seat cushions, unable to make a decision I can live with. Those IKEA curtains? Loved them but could not make them work with the rest of the kitchen, so sold them. Now I have bare windows yet again. Can you fly down and just fix this for me? Also you could sew me a dress while you are here. Seems a shame not to get a dress out of it too. ;-)