Sometimes a work in progress sits for so long unfinished that I don’t even see it anymore. This patchwork shower curtain has been sitting in a pile for a couple of months (I gave a guess-what-this-is preview here, and a bunch of you guessed correctly, nice!). I finally focused in on it the other day and the only thing I had left to do was add the buttonholes on top. Seriously? So I spent a half hour sewing those on and it was finished. Do you ever finish something and then want to punch yourself for how long it took you to get to that last little thing? That is exactly what was going on here I tell you. Ridonkulous.
This project is a pretty simple sew-it-up, just squares of patchwork sewn together (this fabric is all from the Good Folks line by Anna Maria Horner, who I met last weekend!!). Off the top of my head I don’t even remember how big the squares were (10″? 9.5″) but I have it written down in a notebook somewhere and will probably talk myself into writing a tutorial for this at some point. The only thing about making a shower curtain out of patchwork is that you have to decide what to do with the raw edges on the back. Do you leave them unfinished and assume you’ll never wash the thing? Do you trim them with a pinking shears? I supposed you could fold under and sew down all the raw edges if you were really super anal.
I opted to sew the entire thing up with my serger. I didn’t sew the seams with a machine first, I just sewed all the pieces together with the serger, which also has a little pair of knives that trim the seam allowances as you sew, so for a project of this size it was definitely faster. I finished the edges and hem and added the buttonholes with my machine and it was done.
I already want to make another one. Yes, that is insane, seeing as I only have one shower in my house. I’m envisioning the next one in solids, with grey, goldenrod yellow, and navy as the base colors. It wouldn’t match my crazy rhubarb pink towels though. For now I’m just enjoying this one. Yippee!