We had family pics a few weeks ago, and, feeling inspired, I started making shirts for the boys ahead of time. This peach shirt for Elliot was one of them. Because I generally want everyone to coordinate (but not match) in family pics so that the clothing won’t distract the eye but rather fade into the background, I went with this lovely soft shot cotton in a pale peach hue. I made sure he approved the fabric ahead of time so that it had a chance of being worn again.
He didn’t end up wearing this shirt for the pics (which is fine!), but I love how it turned out anyway. I think the color is amazing with his hair.
I’ve been wanting to design some boys’ sewing patterns for a while, but other projects have always gotten in the way. With this shirt, I wanted to keep the pattern as simple as possible yet still make it distinct and easy to get on and off. First, there’s no collar, an addition to most “dressier” boys’ patterns that ends up being a bit time-consuming; instead, I used bias binding. Second, no button placket or sleeve facing pieces; the cuffs and plackets are all built into the main pieces. And yet, there are still details like pockets and shoulder epaulets that make it look professional.
I’m not going to promise this will turn into a sewing pattern, but I am interested in knowing if there’s interest for a boys’ summer pattern capsule. Let me know if you think this is something you would like to see developed, or if you think there are already enough patterns for boys’ shirts out there!
One last note: the shorts are also handmade; I used my Parsley Pants pattern (shortened to a 4″ inseam) and added square patch pockets to the sides.