This weekend I made up a new pattern for a little backpack with a zipper. Elliot’s birthday is coming up soon, and he’s been walking around the house with my two-strap purses over both shoulders exclaiming “Elliot’s Backpack!” (I suspect this may have something to do with the shopping trip his Aunt Sara and I took with him to the Coach outlet a few weeks ago). Poor child, he has no idea people don’t (usually) wear purses like backpacks. Why else would they have two straps?

I’m really thrilled that this turned out the way I pictured it in my head. The piping is key, I think; it just snazzed it up enough to make it look like something you’d buy in a store. It took a little longer than I wanted as I thought it would be cool to line it because I am a Crazy Woman. Next time I’m going to skip the lining because it was so totally unnecessary.

: : Fabric from Superbuzzy : :

I think this is Russian? Does anyone know what this says?

So I’ll sell this pattern in my Etsy store if there’s any interest (and I am purposefully not linking to it as am too embarrassed that there’s nothing currently in there…gah!)…let me know if you think you might want it. No commitment of course.

Spring Top Week Update: I am two tops into my Spring Top invention/construction, so I’m still planning on having a showcase and/or competition in a few weeks. I’m going to move the date back to mid-April though as I’m going on vacation in the beginning of April and don’t really want to bust my butt trying to make it happen by the end of March. Stay posted!

Categories: backpack, patterns, spring top week

49 Responses to Toddler Backpack

1. Eve says:

Um, not only do I want it, I need it!

2. Jo (sparkly green knickers) says:

I’m trying to work out how many people I know Need this! Super cute!

3. Sarah C says:

if you were to sell the pattern i just might have to buy it.

It would take so much of the work out of having to try to figure out the dimensions.

I love it, it looks super cute!

4. Mandy at MaKC Creations says:

I love this! I will have to make something like if for my little girl who has discovered how fun it is to put her big sister’s back pack on and carry things around. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Emily says:

I would so buy it and make it for my almost 2 year old next month! ESPECIALLY if you included great directions for the pipeing… and mentioned that you did so b/c otherwise I might hesitate and be intimidated.

6. mama to three silly birds says:

Holy crap is this a CUTE backpack!!

7. Meg says:

That’s so cute! That’s definitely Russian printed there, but I’m not sure what it says. Really cute!

8. pungsnotded says:

You do know how amazing this is right? I mean you are amazing! Great great job!!!

9. Keri says:

I am definitely interested.

10. Wendy says:

Nice job!!! That’s a lovely backpack!

11. JenMeister says:

Oh, I just have to add my voice to those saying how cute/gorgeous it is =^^_^=

12. the five of us says:

Adorable – I’d buy the pattern!

carri

13. LiEr says:

Fab bag, Rae! I remember trying to decide if I should make a backpack for Emily when she started preschool in the fall because i just couldn’t find one in the store small enough or which didn’t have rolling wheels. Didn’t in the end, and she now carries a satchel – so English schoolgirl! Wish I’d had your pattern then – I would have sewn one!

14. coryshay says:

Definitely interested, Rae!! Do it!

minifripperyetc.blogspot.com

15. .Macri.Photography. says:

yes, please put it on etsy! i’d totally buy it too! :) glad i found your blog, its too cute.

16. Kindershop says:

This is awesome! Just like the pint size ones you can buy at the store but way cooler and nicer fabric. I have two toddlers who would die to have one.

17. RachelMM says:

Simply adorable!

18. Amy says:

It’s great! I think you are right that the piping makes it look professional. Nicely done!

19. Karin says:

What a great great bag. Not that I’m saying anything new, but just figured I’d add in my voice. Yeah, it’s amazing what piping can do to kick a project up a notch!

And the fabric — that “makes” the bag too! All in all, just super!!!

20. Cori says:

That is adorable! You are good.

21. c.Rachel says:

How neat it that!
    Isn’t it nice when the picture in your head matches the finished product? My imagination is sometimes so much better than the reality of my projects. =)

You have talent!!

22. thecherubscloset says:

That’s beautiful! I love it.

23. teresa p says:

I would buy that pattern, as well. Lovely!

24. Stephanie says:

Rae you have to sell it. I have been looking for a back pack pattern and I’m not happy with anything I have found…THIS is the one I wanted!! either way it looks fabulous girl!!!

25. Emily says:

Please sell this pattern! It’s fabulous!

26. liz says:

definitely want the pattern! too cute!

27. Heide says:

I’d be interested in the pattern… I actually have a backpack for my toddler daughter on my sewing to-do list, and this is exactly what I was hoping to find. Too cute! I have some super-cute Japanese fabric that I’m planning to use. Fun!

28. Kristy says:

that is too cute! great job.

29. Riesen Family says:

It says: “The gingerbread man is twirling or turning”
    according to my husband…

30. AnnieJackDesigns says:

I would love to purchase that pattern! Hope you do sell it!!

31. Cassandra says:

Yes. I really need this pattern for my 2 year olds upcoming bday. She would love a little backpack of her own!

32. Katie says:

I see you’re probably from the same neck of the woods, as you’ve got a link to Tree City Diapers. Been there lately? They moved to a much nicer location and have a new name.

Love the fabric and wondering if you got it locally or if you ordered it online.

33. curiositys says:

this is so incredibly cute!! such a great design!

34. Paula says:

Just wonderful! I just can’t stand the commerical characters on kids backpacks…so now I really have a reason to pull out the sewing machine and with my limited sewing skills maybe something stronger than coffee!

35. The Couey's says:

hello! I ran into your blog from Sew Mama Sew…(hope you don’t mind) as I was checking out your blog I saw your toddler bookpack which I LOVE!!! I have been looking for something like this but haven’t found the pattern that I like. I’ve gotten to fabric but no pattern I’m so excited that I found your blog! Thanks for your hard work!

36. luckycherry@me.com says:

How much might the pattern be on Etsy?

37. Jacki says:

I want one (pattern, that is) right now!!

38. Aubrey Leong says:

I love this backpack…I tried to make it for a Christmas gift and it didn't turn out as I had hoped. I think it was the sewer (me) not the pattern. I think I'll try again next month but if you had any advice I would love it!

39. Tina says:

Since my sewing skills are pretty much nonexistent, the pattern wouldn't be too much help, but I'd buy the backpack itself!

40. georgettemadak says:

Hi Rae, I just finished one of your toddler backpacks and it turned out beautifully. Is there somewhere that I can send a picture to you? I did line it because I wanted to put heavy interfacing inside the major panels. I also added to pockets. Wow, it's hard to find good fabric choices for boys, isn't it? Thanks, Georgette

41. georgettemadak says:

Hi Rae, I just finished your toddler backpack and it turned out adorably. I lined it bec I wanted to add heavy interfacing to the larger panels. I also added 2 pockets. Is there somewhere that I can send a picture? Thanks Georgette

42. vedjen says:

I used your backpack pattern and loved the results. Just wanted to thank you.

43. Tere-Tere says:

Cute backpack!
    Rae, if you are still interesting in Russian script, I can translate: “Kolobok is rolling”. (But it is written with mistake, unfortunately). Kolobok is the most famous hero of russian folktales. Actually he is round like a ball and not like gingerbread man ))) So he ROLLS.
    That`s it :)

44. NoSewMama says:

I love this backpack, but my sewing skills are just slightly beyond beginner. How hard/complicated is this?