Just popping in between school project deadlines to show off another FO. Remember this? Well that little pleated pocket turned into this:

It’s a reversible tote which started as an attempt to make the Taxi Tote from Seams to Me. But I didn’t have enough of the fuschia Mendocino for the outside, so I had to change the pattern around a bit (I maintained the overall look but I had to heavily modify the pattern piece to get two sides cut from the fabric I had). Then on the other side (made with Legacy Studio cotton from JoAnn), I decided to go for a seam in the middle to add interest, basically the same design as this bag, but quite alot smaller (this bag is about 15″ wide and 24″ tall).

Then I decided it would be reversible, so I added ties and sewed the two right sides together with a gap at the top which got top-stitched shut later. And there are some little pleats thrown in there that gives it a really poofy look.

The pockets are pleated pockets which are SO EASY and a tutorial is on My List so stay tuned (but don’t hold your breath. That List is long.) I also put those pockets on this top and this one last summer. Since I put the pockets on both the inside and outside and lined the whole thing with flannel, it practically stands up on its own. Here’s the full view:

I honestly have no idea who this purse is headed to; I just have fun trying new shapes and techniques so for now it will hang in the sewing room reminding me that beach weather is just around the corner. Meanwhile I am ignoring the sound of rain on the roof…

Categories: Heather Ross, Mendocino, bags

21 Responses to Oceana Reversible Shoulder Tote

1. Anna S. says:

That looks really nice!

2. Melanie says:

SO cute!! I have really tried to replicate your pleated pockets, but I just don't get how you did the tops, and how you don't have them topstitched tp the bag? or maybe you do? I'm baffled. Do you have a sec to describe how you made those cute things?? I know you're a busy girl!

3. Myrnie says:

Fabulous! (And are those walls really aqua? So lovely!)

4. Mirre says:

Very sweet bag and those pleated pockets are a cute detail!

5. Mommafo says:

A) I love all the fabric.
    B) That bag is frickin awesome!
    C) Can I have it?
    D) I second the "gorgeous walls" comment.

6. Meg says:

Amazing. Impressive! As usual!

7. Suzi says:

A-DOR-A-BLE!

8. Andrea says:

That is SO fun Rae! Love the colors, very summery indeed. I could have used it pool side today (that wasn't nice to add in was it ;) ). The pockets at the perfect touch to make it fabulous!

Sending sunshine your way! Happy Day!

9. littlecumulus says:

That Mendocino print is one of my favorite fabrics of ALL TIME. Lovely, beautiful, fabulous use for it!

10. Brandislee says:

I am so in love with that fabric- I have been eyeing it for a while, but I've done enough impulse fabric buying and I have NO idea what I would do with it. But now you've given me a little inspiration:)

11. jaybird says:

i love the pleated pockets and cute little tie at the top! i may have to try and make something like this!

12. Pinktulip says:

Really great bag! I have also made the Taxi Tote a few times and this looks like a great improvement!

13. Nicole says:

Since you have no idea where the bag is heading I have an idea….UTAH!! Yay! :) Really adorable. I miss customizing patterns and making my own things. I have got to free up time for a few more purses. Thanks for the eye candy! (and really, that bag would live a happy life with me!) LOL

14. Diane says:

As always, super-cute stuff Made By Rae!

I've been reading your blog for a while but I don't think I've ever gotten around to commenting which I apologise for – now that I've started by own blog I realise how important comments are!

I'm delurking now to tag you for 6 unimportant things you love: http://monkey-magic-blog.blogspot.com/2009/06/six-unimportant-things-you-love.html

I know you're a busy gal, but have a go if you have time, I'd love to hear what you come up with.

15. handmadebyheidi says:

I love that bag. Like others have said you could always send it up here to Alberta, Canada.

16. frogginette says:

Oh my, this is adorable, I totally want it!

17. paperseed says:

Dang, girl. You are so talented! I love seeing the stuff you make.

18. Cori says:

I love it! I wish I had your ability to draft/modify patterns.

19. Shannon says:

Fab girl! As always. Can't wait for the pleated pocket tutorial! No rush, I know you are busy with other things at the moment:)

20. Varenia says:

the bag is gorgeous!

21. brodiefiles says:

Please do a tutorial for the pockets! I saw it awhile back and tried to duplicate it, with not very attractive results. I did try though!