** Disclaimer: I have actually started sewing a leetle-leetle bit, but I would like to stress that these past couple of projects were sewn BEFORE Clementine arrived a couple weeks ago. Please know that I spend most of my time nursing and napping. And then maybe eating ice cream. OK, and reading blogs. The last thing I want to do is give any new mothers (or anyone, for that matter) out there a complex about their lack of productivity. I also should mention that Mr Rae is on like a month of paternity leave/vacation, which is totally wonderful and a luxury not all new moms have for which I am very very thankful. Right now he is downstairs playing video games while Clementine sleeps on his chest. And I just came back to this post after a starting it a couple days ago and realized that last sentence was still true. Hee. **

This was Clementine’s coming-home outfit:

I made the hat and pants from an old JCrew shirt that was too short and tight and had a white collar too nasty to thrift. I keep forgetting to take before pics of my refurb projects. Here’s a pic of the shirt after I cut the arms off for the pant legs:

I really just guessed at the length of the pants and it turns out they’re too long, but whatevs, it’s not like she’s walking yet, right? Hahaheehee, all of the sudden that struck me as really funny. (Hormones.)

The hat was made with this pattern from Martha Stewart.

I enlarged the pattern so that it was 7 inches across, and made two, one for the lining and one for the outside, adding a 1/4″ seam allowance to the bottom edge. The flower on top is just a circle that I serged all around and then pulled it’s center through the top of the hat seam and sewed in place. Easy peasy!

I love this expression. So funny. That’s how I looked most of my teen years. She seemed peeved that she had to leave the hospital. And who could blame her?

Categories: baby, baby pants

65 Responses to My old JCrew shirt = Newborn Hat and Pants!

1. Meg says:

The grumpy face is hilarious! You're so lucky to have Mr Rae home!

I always love reading your posts about turning a pice of clothing into another different piece of clothing.

2. Kelly says:

so cute, i love that last pic, the hat is great, x

3. Ashley says:

She's absolutely adorable, and so is that outfit!

4. smallgrapes says:

What an awesome idea! And that expression…adorable!!!! Congratulations on such a sweet wee babe.

5. lapetitevie says:

Could she be any cuter? The outfit is sweet. Thanks for the disclaimer about the mama to a newborn productivity. Some of the blogs I read make me wonder. I'm glad you're taking care of yourself and napping!

6. Myrnie says:

Enjoy this sweet time with Mr. Rae home, and a baby that would like nothing better than to eat, and then sleep. (*sniffle*…I miss my baby, she's 11 months already!) She's absolutely adorable, but then you hardly need US to tell you that :)

I LOVE this outfit, it's fantastic! I don't buy enough clothing to have a HUGE pile of cut-able shirts…I think I see a thrift shop run in my near future :)

7. Deb says:

that's so funny! Looking at your wee bubba shows me how quickly mine is growing… she's 4 1/2 months, I can't believe how time flies. Can we slow it down??

8. roseylittlethings says:

Super cute outfit! Great way to reuse a tshirt! You are indeed very lucky to have your hubby home, mine took two days off while I was at the hospital and then 2 half days and he was back to work! I am still trying to find sewing time.:)

9. sewtakeahike says:

nice refashion Rae! love those expressions on her face, especially that last one, it almost made me blow my drink across the room!

10. e.c says:

This is so adorable. And it's so perfect on your daughter…LOVE!

Can I say again that it's too cute? CUTE!

11. Amanda M. says:

Love it all – the outfit, the face on that darling girl, and the fact that Mr. Rae plays videogames with a baby on his chest. What a life – sounds great!

12. Julianne says:

Just wanted to let you know that I love your itty bitty dress pattern and I finished my first one up a couple weeks ago. We are expecting baby number 3, a girl, and I have one of each already. :) I found the pattern for the toddler version but it was too big to fit my daughter so I made my own pattern to fit a size 24m-2T. So, I made matching dresses and hats (from the Little Stitches book) for my little girls to wear to their first day of church TOGETHER. Ours is due in a couple weeks. If you thought anyone would be interested in the 2T dress pattern, I'd be happy to try and post it in PDF format. I love checking out your blog btw! Started my own up in June…

Your baby girl is gorgeous!
    b2j2fitz@gmail.com
    Julie

13. curiositys says:

I love her facial expressions…she is so cute!!

14. Emma says:

Oh, she's beautiful! I love her outfit. I wish I had the skills to make my son's coming home outfit (he turned 1 month yesterday… it's flying!). I managed a pretty warm blanket though! I still haven't found time for sewing with all the breastfeeding and chasing after my 2 1/2 year old. Starting to find little pockets of time though…

Once again… gorgeous work – both the outfit and the cute little Clementine (love the name by the way… and Sawyer's daughter on Lost has the same name!)

15. Andrea says:

I love it Rae! That face is too much and the re-purposed shirt, totally sweet. Love the pants (too long or not :) . Glad you're soaking in the newness and not trying to do to much, feeding, changing and sleeping is plenty!! Oh and hopefully a bit of trashy t.v. too ;) .

16. gtm says:

Love your upcycling project. She's adorable! =)

I made pants for my little one too out of old shirts…

17. Olya says:

did my comment get eaten? just wanted to say that I really love the outfit and I'm going to try making that hat for my friend's newborn (born today!) :)

and since you're having trouble with ads on MS's site, you should try using Firefox browser with AdBlock Plus added to it. I rarely see ads on the sites I visit, and I certainly didn't see any ads on MS's site :)

18. jessbcuz says:

Cutey baby!
    Thanks for the ms link. I find lots of good stuff there, but sometimes find it difficult to find what i'm looking for even when i know exactly what it is! Way too much going on there!

19. j.g.photography says:

Your baby girl is adorable! I too was blessed to have my hubby home on "paternity leave". And funny… He spent his "baby time" playing video games with her on his chest. Congratulations! and thanks for you blog, LOOVVEE it!

20. RosaMaría says:

very ingenius! love the pics, the baby is so cute!!!

21. Tee says:

Those are great pics and that is just day one of her being home….you are in for and adventure mama :) The outfit is so sweet and only made cuter by your little one.

22. Su says:

Heh! Love the expression, and a delightful refashion.

23. CuteStuffInside says:

What a doll!

S.W.A.K.

24. withoutenvy says:

So adorable! Congratulations on your precious little bundle.

LOVE the disclaimer by the way.

25. Emily says:

Love the contrasting stripes on the hat! Adorable… oh yeah, and the baby isn't bad either! No, for real, Congratulations! She is beautiful!!

26. Gumbo Lily says:

Cutest refurb ever! And the cutest lil Clementine too!

Jody

27. Sew Useful Designs says:

Hi Rae!

Thank you for your thoughtfulness in describing your current situation so us other crafters do not get left wondering where our failings are!!! You're a sweetie!

Clementine is an absolute cutie… totally adorable!!! :-) I love her expressions! The yawn is priceless! :-)

Warm wishes!
    Vikki x

28. dana says:

Ha-HAH! Love every little bit of it. Brilliant!

29. Danielle says:

I love that facial expression! She is precious, and the outfit is darling, too!

30. Jenny says:

So so sweet!

31. Ammie says:

She looks stunning in peach! I love the hat and adorable pants!

32. schrodinger says:

such cuteness! do you use firefox? if so then I would highly recommend Ad Block Plus as an add-on, it works and makes all browsing much more tolerable on sites like martha's. Congrats on getting her home.

33. addmama says:

This totally catered to my 9 month pregnant obsessive need to sew things for the baby late at night. That hat is adorable! I wouldn't have thought to use a knit if I had seen the original pattern but it works so well! I made a few of these last night and they are great :) I need to stop reading your blog until after I have my baby, I think I am driving my hubby nuts with the sewing haha :)

34. Yara says:

oh man! that is SO cute! That face…oh wow : ) or should I say -_-
    So cool Mr Rae is home for so long!

35. luvinthemommyhood says:

Too cute!!! Love that little face! That first paragraph was fantastic – so true!

36. Frostedbetty says:

AHHHhhh!! That is soooo cute :)

37. Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

Love that last photo with the perfect expression!! She is adorable – enjoy every minute.

38. ArtsyTeree says:

Oh that´s beutiful, I love this set.

39. Hoot Couture says:

Congratulations- she is beautiful! (and her outfit is cute too :-) )

40. frogginette says:

She is SO cute, I can't get over the dimple in her chin =)
    That outfit is to die for.

41. Beth says:

I remember well that expression from your teen years. So glad you grew out of it.
    Love, Mum

42. shawn & bekah says:

adorable!

43. Kari says:

So incredibly adorable! Most impressed with your craftiness on the outfit. Nice work, yet again.

44. Alisa says:

That's great. I just love thrift sewing! I think our grandmothers would be proud. I'm wishing you well. You will get back into sewing slowly but surely. I have 5 children (8yrs and under) and still find (make) time to sew.

45. Ellen says:

oh cute! That was a pretty cute expression. I'm 13, but when I'm in my twenties or thirties or whenever it happens, I want to sew for my baby too!

46. Amanda says:

Love it! Thanks for the link!

47. Mariama says:

Great! I like the idea of "recycling" clothes! And your baby is lovely!

48. Whosies says:

too cute. love the expressions and the clothes.

49. em.s says:

really cute outfit!!! thanks for being honest about the productivity thing. As the mum of a 7 month old I know how easy it is to compare yourself to other mums. Congrats on bubs!!!

50. Krystal Hosmer of Solsisters says:

Congrats, Rae! What a cutie!

51. Karin says:

Ofcourse the hat and pants are cute. But that little face. Those expressions. Precious!

52. A Big Bowl Of Cherries says:

I had to stop and tell you how sweet your baby girl looks in these pics. And what a great outfit! Makes me miss those days dressing up my girls!
    Jen

53. liz says:

love the outfit -and that hat – too cute! the grump is the best… welcome to mothering a girl ;)

54. Visty says:

I love that last picture, and that Clementine's car seat is orange, of course!

55. K says:

Thanks so much for that disclaimer. I don't have a newborn, and I'm still not very productive. That last picture is too cute and funny. She looks really alert for just a few days old.

56. mary says:

I love that last pic! She is so adorable even when pulling a grumpy face!

57. Emily says:

Oh my cuteness!

58. Mel says:

This looks like a great, comfy go-to outfit for her. Love the hat. Love the last expression, too funny.

59. Susan says:

oh. my. gosh. i want to comment on each of your posts! you are so talented. i love your daughter's facial expression, too cute.

60. Erin says:

I must comment to say this is the cutest outfit that I ever did see. I love it!! You're blog is wonderfully inspirational. I will be coming back forever and ever.

61. Alison says:

So cute! Congratulations!

62. 6 Berries says:

This is so awesome! It's the cutest, the model may have something to do with it. I love that hat, what a great idea for shirts with stains on the front.

63. Heidi says:

Thank you for posting this! I’ve been trying to sew a coming home outfit for my bun in the oven, and I looked all over for a newborn hat pattern with some kind of measurements. Most of the tutorials out there say to measure the baby’s head, which is a little hard before she’s born :-) This worked perfectly for me. Thanks!

64. Rebecca says:

I know this is a few years old now but I found this post via Pinterest and couldn’t leave without commenting on her sweetness. Totally adorable.