I’ve been reading Joanna’s blog, stardustshoes, longer than any other I can remember (seriously!), so I feel like we go “waaaay back.” When I started putting together a roster of guest bloggers for the Month of the Boy I immediately thought of her; she’s written so many fantastic tutorials, many of which are boy-friendly as she has three boys of her own, ages 8, 6, and 3.5.  She is married to a software engineer and in a former life taught ESL in Taiwan.  She’s currently obsessed with sewing leather and has an Etsy shop in the works!  Joanna just so happens to go to the same church in Bellevue, Washington that my parents attend (it’s really such a small world, isn’t it?) so she had Elliot in her Little Lambs class (Sunday School for toddlers) a couple weeks ago when we visited.  I was so happy to get the chance to meet her briefly and she’s every bit as down to earth and funny in real life as she is on her blog!  Today she’s here to show us a few of her wonderful tutorials using another great line of boy fabrics, Bot Camp by Michael Miller. Here’s Joanna:

*****

Hi, readers of Made by Rae! I’m Joanna and am so happy to have been asked to participate in Celebrate the Boy month. I am mom to three rambunctious (and loud) boys, which fits my personality well. As a child, I was a tree-climbing, rope-swinging, straggly-haired tomboy who, when given the choice, would choose jeans over pink and frilly any day. When I first started sewing and needed inspiration to sew boyish things, I was a bit disappointed in the slim pickings, so I started the flickr group Handmade Crafts for Boys. I’m happy to say that the group is over 900 members strong, and the inspiration is plentiful.

From time to time I write tutorials for Making it Fun, Kathy Miller’s blog for Michael Miller Fabrics. I recently wrote tutorials using Bot Camp fabric that are perfect for a boy’s room. Click on the links for a further description and for access to the tutorials.

Tab Top Curtains:

Pillowcase with Inner Flap:

pillowcase

Pleated Bedskirt:

bedskirt

Round Cushion w/Piped Edging:

robot cushion

The Miniquilt:

rocketship

Happy sewing to all of you, and thanks again, Rae, for inviting me to the boy celebration! :)

*****
Thank you so much Joanna!  What a great line-up of tutorials with a great fabric line!  Those mini-quilts are such a fantastic idea for a boy’s room decoration. I love it!
Dana’s got a great boy’s jeans review, so make sure you check it out and the latest over at MADE:
Categories: CELEBRATE THE BOY, tutorial

20 Responses to GUEST POST: Bot Camp Tutorials from Stardustshoes

1. Kestlyn says:

Those are adorable and totally up my LO's alley! Thank you!

2. Sarah says:

Wow! Fantastic! I really like it.

3. Wulan says:

Lovely stuffs!!… encourage me to make them for my little one..
    Thanks!!

4. Very Verdant says:

Such cuteness!!! We are hoping to buy a new house within the next month or two and I can not wait to decorate the kids new rooms. Thanks for sharing all this boy friendly inspiration!

5. Maggie says:

Those items are adorable. Now, if I could only get my girls into robots…

6. CraftCrave says:

Thank you! This blog post will be advertised on CraftCrave in the Handcraft category today (look for timestamp: [19 Feb 01:00pm GMT]).

7. Anna says:

I wish they wouldve had this when my boys were young! They are now 16 and 20. I did make them jeans and the cutest gym pants. Remember the 80's and early 90's? Elastic waist and cuff…..Right now I am knitting them sweaters. ;)

8. famr_4evr says:

I love this. Makes me antsy to start my sweet boys' quilts.

9. Knittymama says:

Great inspiration, thanks! I'm planning on making the giant rocket pillow from One Yard Wonders for my middle son's b-day next month. These all would be great additions!

10. Katie B. says:

I"m making some mini quilts for sure. Thanks!

11. Meg says:

Okay, now I want a robot themed bedroom. For me. Is that wrong?

12. RheLynn says:

I love those fabrics and such good ideas for making a whole set!

13. moncherry says:

Wow, amazing colours and great fabrics. You should be in a home decoration magazine!
    I love the round pillow a lot!
    Monique

14. Tao Of Craft says:

Thanks for all of the creativity and effort that you ladies are putting out with this project!
    I am LOOVING it… So many great ideas!
    I am completely inspired!

Carrie

15. Aunt LoLo says:

Oooh…I want to make that mini quilt!

16. Jenny says:

That quilt is great! I love it.

17. Rachel says:

i love these prints. anyone know where i can find these?

18. sally says:

Everything about this post is awesome. What fun things to make for a boy. I've been needing to make my little buddy a quilt for his toddler bed, I think I just found the one he'll want. He loves rockets.

19. Wendy says:

Anyone else having trouble getting the tab top curtain tutorial to come up? I tried it through here and also thru the MakingItFun site, Michael Miller's site, and Stardust Shoes.

Maybe it is just overloaded?

20. Shawn says:

ugh, i can't seem to figure out how to buy that great fabric…