It’s been great having this month of posts just for boys because it’s forced me to dig out all of the projects for Elliot I had set aside so I could sew other things.  One of them was this fleece jacket, which really came in handy this past week as we visited my parents in the Pacific Northwest, where it was a balmy 40-60 degrees all week and trees were budding way ahead of schedule.  So this was the perfect weight for playing outside, visiting the zoo, and pruning the shrubs for Grandpa:

and riding the escalator with Grandma:

The pattern is Kwik Sew 2911, and I really like it.  Enough to make more.  It went together very quickly and had a clever pocket design that was so easy it had me feeling clever.  It took me a few thinks to figure out how to hide the zipper tails, but in the end it worked out fine.  A serger isn’t necessary but I used it to finish the seams anyway.

Modifications: I chose to use regular fleece instead of swimwear fabric (as the pattern called for) for the edging.  I really have a tough time making swim fabric look good and didn’t want to risk it.  The fleece worked great, although you do need to make sure to cut the pieces along the stretch of the fabric as indicated in the pattern.  I also threw in a little folded piece of fleece across the front there as a faux piping.

I’d also like to say a few things about fleece:  I caved and purchased this novelty fleece from Joann, and, as a person who loves prints (maybe a little more than I should, as I often leave the house in 4 prints that clash) I couldn’t resist this nautical pattern, but immediately after it was worn I started to notice that the quality is not-so-hot.  So I’d like to offer some advice here:  I know it’s very, very tempting to buy fleece at your local craft superstore, but let’s just say you get what you pay for.  ‘Nuf said.

UPDATE:  I just realized (after the first comment) that many of you would like to know where to get good fleece.  Field’s in West Michigan is my closest source for good fleece, but I’m sure there’s got to be others, including online.  Weigh in if you’ve had good experiences.

Today Dana’s got a tutorial for an adorable little Hobo Sack (and pictures of an adorable little Hobo) over at MADE.  Check it out:

Categories: CELEBRATE THE BOY, clothes for boys, patterns

24 Responses to Kwik Sew Fleece for Elliot

1. vanessa/NessieNoodle says:

Can you share where you would find better quality fleece?

this is pretty dern cute! I am lovin' boy month and have been faving so many of these posts to come back to in the future.

2. Heather says:

I will have to keep this in mind for next year. I usually disregard Winter since I live in TX, but this year the fleece would have helped.
    Thanks for Boys Month!

3. erin says:

so cute! I'll have to make my boys these for spring. Thanks!

4. Helen190390 says:

although i dont have a little boy, i think this is amazingly cute! may have to make one for my little girl :) i love that fleece!
    i know what you mean by some being bad quality, i made a dressing gown from some pretty fleece i found on a market near me, and it looked like it was wearing out!

5. Cheryl says:

I love Kwik Sew too – their pattern books are my fave. That fleece is a very cute print. I've had great experience with Joann's fleece, but you have to stick with the anti-pill, not the blizzard, because there's a huge difference in how they hold up over time.

6. Kent and Katie says:

That is so sweet! I love those little people in fleece-y things, but they can be pricey in stores…I may have to try this one. Thank you!!

7. Megan says:

Love the jacket, I have had good results from the anti-pill fleece from JoAnns. I have never bought any of the blizzard fleece because I am too cheap. In the twin cities area(MN), SR Harris has Malden Mills fleece for half price with lots of great colors and patterns.

8. Shannon says:

This is adorable! I am about to deliver my first child (a boy!) in two weeks, and I am so going to sew this fleece. Quick question – what sort of material did you use for the piping and the cuffs? I saw the pattern recommended swimsuit material, but it looks like you may have used flannel. Is that right?

9. Rae says:

Shannon: Oops! Thanks for reminding me; I will add that to the post ASAP. I actually used fleece for the edging as well…it worked fine and I avoided the usual swimwear fabric related mishaps!

10. Bellgirl says:

hat a gorgeous hoodie! I love the design of the fleece, even if the feel is not what you'd like. I love your theme, I'm celebrating my boy too!

11. Bellgirl says:

actually I probably should mention that I'm celebrating my boy by posting about the toddler backpack I made him using your pattern!: http://bellgirl.com.au/2010/02/bugpack.html

12. dana says:

GREAT fleece! Way cooler than stuff I've seen in the stores! And I'm even more happy that it was something you already had sewn, that just needed the finishing touches. Very cute pic of Elliott and his Grandma. I love the personal pics like that.

13. shawn & bekah says:

SO cute! Now I'm thinking of running out to buy that pattern. Thanks for adding to my "to-do" list. Thankfully though it's one of those "to-do's" that will get done fast than the laundry. Thanks for sharing.

14. marisa says:

very cute! i bought the same pattern for my son's blanket and I agree you get what you pay for!

15. Inge says:

Love it! Thanks so much!

16. Mary says:

Adorable!So is the fleece!

I would always recommend Malden Mills; great quality,and a responsible company.

17. Pippi creates says:

What a gorgeous jumper! It a fine line when buying novelty prints for kids, between cute and geeky. But I think your choice was great. Pity about the quality. Great boys month.

18. Jennifer says:

I made this jacket for my little boy last year. I used fold-over-elastic instead of the swimwear elastic. I thought that part turned out pretty well. My only regret is that I bought fleece from Hancock fabrics to make this jacket. I would have been happier with the final product if I had used a better quality fleece. My son has really enjoyed wearing the jacket – the fact that it is camouflage doesn't hurt a bit.

19. rmeyfe says:

That is an adorable fleece jumper!! I love that!! Thanks for boy month!! I would be voting for making 2010 the year of the boy if we could!!

20. ForeverYou says:

Looks soo cozzzzyyy!!

21. Aunt LoLo says:

First of all, CA-YUTE. Second, I'm so jealous of your PNW trip. *grin* All my family is there…and I'm not!

22. Myrnie says:

Cute jacket! Whenever we travel, I realize how much fleece we wear here! It's not as common in other places- I thought everyone had 2 or 3 fleece jackets?

You caught some of our best weather! It's back to cold and rainy now :)

23. Tina says:

I have good luck with joann fleece but i also don't dry it in the dryer. could that be why mine hold up pretty well?

24. CraftCrave says:

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave.com in the Handcraft category today [03 Mar 01:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria