Just in time to help us Celebrate the BOY, last week my cousin Sarah gave birth to one of the most precious little boys I have ever seen. Baby Micah needed a gift, so inspired by Dana’s 90 minute shirt tutorial I whipped up a little shirt along with some baby pants and a bib.  That great scooter/bike flannel is called “To the Rescue” flannel by Hoffman International, which I purchased at Pacific Fabrics in Bellevue, WA but cannot for the life of me find anywhere online though. dur…

I was under a nap crunch so instead of tracing a pattern (but do read Dana’s wonderfully easy how-to on making your own patterns if you haven’t tried it before), I dug up a commercial pattern for baby layette I already had that happened to include a lap tee. The main fabric came from a t-shirt I had in the harvest pile (where never-worn, old, or poorly-fitting clothes go to die in our house. Although lately that pile seems to have found New Life as it is currently winning the battle against my closet).

I had large enough sleeves on the tee that I could make the entire long-sleeve without a raw edge, so I skipped the cuff, but now looking at all of the adorb. pics of Owen I’m thinking the next one I make has to have those killer cuffs.

Of course, the “newborn size” came out large on Clementine (who is 6 mo!) but at least that way he can grow into it.  I don’t get it, really I don’t.  Why do I have to wear a size ginormous in a Simplicity or Butterick pattern, but when I try to make something itty bitty for babies it comes out large enough for a kindergartener?  Anyway.

Congratulations Sarah and Jeremy and big sister Sadie!!!

And don’t forget, Meg’s Belt Giveaway is open until tomorrow morning, so if you haven’t entered yet, head over right now!

Dana’s got a great place to find custom made carseat covers over at MADE:

Categories: CELEBRATE THE BOY

21 Responses to Perfect Timing: Welcome Baby M!

1. Marybeth says:

How ADORABLE!!!! You and Dana are just SOOO talented… Congratulations on the new member of your family!

2. Gina says:

You can get the "To the Rescue" flannel at Hawthorne Threads online. Such a cute outfit and adorable fabric.

3. Kylie says:

Congratulations on the new addition to your extended family. I am with you on the sizing – wish thepattern companies would get it right:(

4. lelah says:

I love those cute pants!! Would you mind sharing the pattern?

5. Anna says:

ugh, that is way too cute! i love babies!

6. Andrea says:

SO cute!
    I bought some of that flannel from Hawthorne Threads (formerly Fabric Supplies on Etsy) around Christmas. It was on sale and I got the brown background to make E some PJ pants. That was going to happen for his birthday, but since the quit overtook my life :) I have decided to make them for an Easter present.

7. nopinkhere says:

That drives me nuts about most commercial patterns too. For my son, now almost 4, I also have to make everything skinnier too. Love the cute duds!

8. naomi says:

VERY cute!
    Its always better to get bigger clothes when having a new bub. My baby boy got given all newborn sizes, and now we are out of clothes! Better get sewing.

9. AdronsCatherine says:

What a darling outfit! Congratulations on the new little cousin :o )

I gave up on the mainstream patterns when I discovered Ottobre Design magazine. Granted, I do have to modify their pants b/c it appears that European kids (and adults) are inclined to be very short waisted, and that doesn't work with a cloth diapered booty!

10. Lettie says:

Very cute – and I am laughing about the pattern size thing. I hate to have to buy the envelope with just "big" sizes for me and am baffled when a pattern for 3T set of PJs could fit a 6 year old!

11. Jacki says:

too cute!!! get new conceptions baby essentials, or kwik sew patterns, or Kwik Sew's SEwing for Babies, Sewing for Toddlers, or Sewing for Children. They have good basic pattern pieces that all you to invent anything. I rarely sew anything for my boys w/ out reaching for one of those books. oh, yeah, and the sizing is accurate.
    Congrats to your family!!

12. dana says:

Oh Rae, I want you to make me a baby outfit! haha.
    Very very cute. And perfect with the sleeves. Hey, if you don't need to make a cuff, don't do it.
    (but it is sorta cute :) )

13. laura says:

that bike fabric is some of the cutest i've ever seen! what a lucky little boy :)

14. Susan says:

so cute! i have to get my surger fixed so i can make one of those 90 min shirts…like now

15. laura may says:

adorable!! lovely fabric.

Congratulations on the arrival of your little one!

lm.x

16. Anisa says:

Just wanted to let you know I highlighted your blog on my blog.

Check it out at http://www.twiddle-thumbs.com

anisa

17. Andrea says:

So cute! I hear you about sizes! My 5 year old wears a size 3 when I sew, but I have to wear a few sizes larger for me! No fair!

18. Kestlyn says:

So adorable. Great work on what I'm sure will be a treasured gift :)

19. Emma says:

I'm really enjoying boy month and I'm going to have to make that 90 min shirt. Thanks for the link to it. Lucky little baby getting that cute outfit!

20. amummy says:

That is a gorgeous outfit and I love the name.
    From another mummy with a Micah