The Big Butt Baby Pants Sewing Pattern is a digital PDF sewing pattern for baby girls or boys. The pants feature a rear panel that adds plenty of room for diapered babies. They are designed to fit over cloth diapers but work great over disposable diapers too. The options are endless; you can add ruffles, pockets, fold-over cuffs or shorten them into bloomers, capris or shorts. Instructions include directions for ruffled rear panel and fold-over cuff. With so many possibilities for variation, this is the only baby pants pattern you will ever need!
0-3 months / 3-6 months / 6-12 months / 12-18 months / 18-24 months / 2T
PATTERN FILE INCLUDES
Detailed step-by-step instructions for basic pant
Additional instructions for fold-over cuff and ruffled rear panel
Full color diagrams and photos illustrating each step
Complete set of full-sized pattern pieces in six sizes (attach together before cutting)
Suggestions on how to get the right fit for babies of all sizes/diaper types
Hints on how to adjust the pants as your baby grows
License page with information for handmade sellers (see below)
Please note: You can make shorts by cutting the leg portion of the pant roughly halfway between the cuff and crotch and hemming them to the desired length. See how to make the pockets in this post. Instructions for shorts/pockets are not included in PDF.
YOU WILL NEED
- 3/4 yard woven fabric such as quilting cotton, linen, flannel, corduroy, lawn, twill (2/3 yard needed for 6-12 months, 1/2 yard needed for 0-3 and 3-6 month sizes)
- 1/2″ elastic for waistband
- marking pen
- safety pin or bodkin for threading elastic
- (Optional) 1/4 yard of contrasting fabric for rear panel and cuff
Remember to prewash your fabric!
HOW DOES INSTANT DOWNLOAD WORK?
This sewing pattern comes to you as a PDF that you download instantly after payment and print from your computer. A color printer is recommended, but not required.
When you click on the “Buy Now” button, you will be brought to a payment page so you can pay with Paypal or a credit/debit card through Paypal. Once you make your payment, click on the incredibly tiny “complete your purchase” link to download the pattern. You will also receive an email with a download link. These links expire, so make sure you download your pattern right away! The links are sent to your Paypal email, so make sure that is up-to-date before you purchase.
Please note: If you pay by eCheck your payment does not go through for 5-7 business days, which means you will not get your pattern instantly. Choose another payment method than eCheck if you want your pattern right away. If you don’t mind waiting, then eCheck is fine!
For those with little experience downloading and printing PDF files, I would suggest a test download with one of the free patterns on my blog (see left sidebar) before purchase to make sure you have the correct software. A recent version of Adobe Reader is recommended.
SELLING BIG BUTT BABY PANTS
Home sewists who purchase this pattern may sell handmade baby pants made with this pattern provided they give design credit on tags or listings and register their shop or business once ready to sell. More details can be found on the license page included in the PDF.
In the past I have offered licensed copies of a pattern (with permission to sell) separately from personal-use-only versions of the pattern. I am finding this to be a little too confusing. From here on out I plan to offer my new patterns with permission to sell included with purchase. Free patterns will still be intended for personal use only.
WANT TO SEE MORE B3Ps?
Big Butt Baby Pants were also featured on the following posts:
Hope you don’t mind if I babble
Best in Show
Bunny Ruffle Capris
Gifts for Little Boys
Big Butt Baby Pants Trickiness (A post on how to fix puckering on the pants)
And see what others have made in the Big Butt Baby Pants Flickr Pool (submit your pictures here!)
*HELP KEEP RAE FROM GOING INSANE
You guys, it is seriously making me crazy how many of these patterns I have had to resend. So please read these through before making your purchase. Otherwise you risk not receiving your pattern right away or a canceled transaction. Thanks y’all!!!
1. Click on the teeny tiny”complete your purchase” link immediately after you pay. After you pay in Paypal, keep your eyes peeled for the amazingly small “complete your purchase” link. If you click through you’ll go directly to your pattern download link. I know, right? They could have made it easier. But they didn’t. So let’s just move on.
2. Log into PayPal and check that your primary email address is correct. Since instant download pattern links are also sent automatically by my computer to your email address, if your paypal email is outdated or incorrect you won’t receive your pattern. So make sure it’s right!
3. Add Made By Rae as an email contact. Log into your email account, go to your address book or contacts and add rae DOT made AT gmail DOT com as a contact. This prevents my emails from going to SPAM purgatory.
4. And then don’t feel bad if you need some help. Of course the system isn’t perfect; since the entire pattern-sending process is automated I occasionally get emails from people who didn’t get the automatically generated email. If you’ve checked everything above and still haven’t received your pattern, please don’t hesitate to email me (left sidebar) so I can get it all sorted out for you.
A huge thank you to all of my pattern testers (Karen, Beth, Carolina, Selina, Cerise, Becky and Summer) for helping me try these out and for your fantastic suggestions.
As this is the first released version of the pattern, there are bound to be mistakes. Thanks in advance for your patience, and please email me if you find any errors or need assistance!
Sign up for my newsletter!
- ▼2014 (84)
- ▶2013 (149)
- ▶2012 (169)
- ▶2011 (173)
- ▶2010 (130)
- ▶2009 (74)
- ▶2008 (59)
- ▶2007 (6)