This blog is proudly sponsored by

There is little else more rewarding than a quick easy sew that is at the same time not boring.
Baby pants are, in my opinion, one of those projects. I love to make colorful baby pants in fun fabrics as a respite from the bevy of pastels that inevitably dominate the newborn wardrobe.  Plus they give that baby something to wear with the drawer full of cute onesies.

This is for those of you who just need something super-duper easy and quick, a definite beginner pattern. Besides the Big Butt Baby Pants, this is my other can’t-live-without-it baby pants pattern. It’s so simple its scary, and I’m betting that many of you already have something like this in your pattern collections. If you’re just beginning to sew, it’s a great place to start. There are plenty of lovely tutorials for making baby pants out there that involve tracing (which is, of course, one of the best ways to get a good fit), but sometimes you want a pattern you can just print out and use, especially if it’s a gift and you don’t have baby pants on hand to trace. I hope you’ll find this one useful and handy.

This pattern is sized for a newborn in cloth diapers so it’s super-roomy especially for disposable-diapered babies. The finished height is about 11.5″ tall. And I’ll let you in on a little secret: it’s actually just as wide in the hip as my 6-12 month B3Ps, so these might also work as a capri for an older baby, even one in cloth diapers. Furthermore, if you want a bigger size you can always add a little length to the bottom of the pant leg (to make a taller leg) or raise the waistband an inch or so (for a higher rise).  You can see from the picture above that I sometimes vary this pant by adding contrasting trim and pockets.  I’ll show you how to do that in a subsequent post, but for now let’s just start with the basic newborn pant:

BASIC NEWBORN BABY PANT
A sewing pattern and tutorial by Rae Hoekstra

Please read this first:
I’ve made this pattern available for free with the intent that it be used for personal (not-for-profit) use and that it be accessed here at Made By Rae and not copied or distributed elsewhere.  Please link back to this post to your heart’s content, but please don’t post this pattern, the tutorial or any of the images below on your own website. If you borrow any of the images above (that’s fine), please link back and give clear and proper photo credit. Thanks!

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE PATTERN

Step-By-Step Sewing Instructions:
1. Print and cut out pattern pieces and tape together along dotted line.

2. Cut out two pant panels on the fold. Mark the leg seam and center seam edges (I cut a little tab along the edge of the leg seam as I was cutting).

3.  Open up each piece and line the two pieces up with their right sides facing:

4. Sew the pants together along just the center seams with a 1/2″ seam. Make sure you don’t sew all the way down the leg, just the center seam!

5.  Trim center seam to 1/4.” Open up pants and press seams apart.

6.  With center seams lined up and pants still inside out, sew inner leg seam from cuff to cuff with a 1/2″ seam.  Trim to 1/4″ and press seam.

7.  Fold 1/4″ over at waistband, press.

8.  Fold another 1/2″ over at waistband, press again.

9. Decide which side of the pants will be front and which will be back.  Starting at the back, sew around the folded section to form a waistband casing.  Leave a 1″ gap for elastic at the back.  I also put in a ribbon hanging tab for Mr Rae at this point to help him tell front from back, but honestly it doesn’t really matter.

10.  Cut waistband elastic from 1/4″ or 3/8″ wide elastic (Length = [waist of baby +1"] 13″ is usually fine for a newborn baby)

11. Using a safety pin or bodkin, thread elastic through waistband.

12. Overlap ends of elastic by about 1/2″ and zigzag stitch back and forth a few times to secure. Tuck elastic inside waistband and stitch waistband shut.

13. Fold under 1/4″ at bottom of cuff:

14. Fold another 1/4″ under at the bottom of cuff and sew down.  Repeat for other leg.

Put those pants on your baby and admire! As usual, if you find any mistakes here or anything that needs clarifying, will you please let me know?  Enjoy!!!

Click here for a tutorial on how make the pockets (they work on the B3Ps too as well as a boatload of other things) and add the trim at the cuff.

******

If you liked this pattern you can support my leetle pattern business by checking out the Big Butt Baby Pants Pattern or any of the other patterns and tutorials (many of them free) below:

Categories: patterns

71 Responses to Free! Rae’s Basic Newborn Pant Sewing Pattern

1. lorchick @ ON{thelaundry}LINE says:

very cute! I'll have to try some!

"I also put a little ribbon tab in for Mr Rae at this point…" that made me grin because it drives my hubby bonkers finding front to back on my handmade jammie bottoms for our DD. I'm like, "Hun, it doesn't MATTER!" but it still messes with his brain. Yesterday I made a little shirt and I made twisted rosette flowers on the front and showed him. "this is so you can find the front…"

2. Bethany says:

I love the ribbon tab idea!!

3. Admitted Fabricaholic says:

YEAH! Another Rae tutorial! I so love your stuff, thanks so much!

4. Fisker & Fernández says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :-)

5. Katie says:

Yay! These are darling! Thank you! :)

6. Tiphaine says:

great great !!!! Will do for my little new boy and for another one that just come out into the light !!!! You did it again Rae !!!

7. myblueyez says:

So adorable! Thank you for the tutorial!

8. Emily Wolfe says:

Great timing! I just received an invitation to a baby shower for a dear old friend…with such a cute, easy pattern I'm thinking she's in for a whole set of these! Thanks for the wonderful little pattern!!!

9. Hilary says:

Thank you so much for posting this! I just found out that my baby-to-be is a little boy and have been wondering what, as a not very good sewer, I might be able to make him. These are fantastic and I am so excited to make some! (And I'll definitely be buying some patterns, because this tutorial is too good for you not to be compensated!)

10. Kylie says:

Thank you!!!!!!!

11. Caroline says:

What a great Tutorial and pattern. Thanks

12. Bec says:

Thank you, thank you! I am due in 9 weeks with a little boy and have been wanting to sew some little pants to go with all of his onsies I have appliqued!!

13. Crafty Christina says:

14. Deidre E. says:

Ok, maybe a dumb question, but about how much fabric should you start with….. maybe 1/2 yard? Thanks for the pattern too!!

15. bambinosteps says:

Yippee!These are super cute and look to be on the simple side. Thanks Rae! And I'm incredibly excited about the pocket tutorial tomorrow.

16. casserole says:

Thank you for sharing your pattern!! I've been wanting to make some little bitty pants as shower gifts, but without a little bitty baby around I haven't known the size to make.

I linked to your pattern over at Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

17. ArtsyTeree says:

These are so cute!
    I make near the same for my 3-year old, but bigger :-) )

18. Anonymous says:

I cannot for the life of me get the link to the baby pants to open. Is there something I else I can try? Every time I click on the download link it just sends me back to the same page.

19. Katie says:

P.S. I LOVE how these turned out. And it was so relaxing to sew something so sweet and so simple! Thanks again for the free pattern. You can see mine here if you want:

Thanks Rae! :)

20. Bees says:

I just made these pants and added some ric rac to the bottom, and I loooove them! I made them a little shorter because my fabric was a bit short; I bought 1/3 yard for the heck of it today and then found the pattern; another inch would have done it. Here are mine:

21. Anonymous says:

Hubby got invited to a baby shower, so I whipped up 5 pairs of these pants for him to take as a gift. Thank you for such an easy pattern.

22. Mirjam says:

Thank you so much for this pattern!! It was the first piece of garment I tried and succeed! You can see mine here!

23. Mirjam says:

I made a second one (pink!), just because I liked the pattern so much!! But because I don't have or know a newborn baby girl, I decided to give it away on my blog!

24. Loni Harris says:

Rae! I love your blog so much.

I took your baby tight patterns and this basic baby pants and made a bunch as decorations for my sister's baby shower. You can see pics on my blog:

25. Katie says:

Uhh… it's me again. :) Just wanted to let you know that your pattern is still great. And I still love it. And I made some more yesterday (on my blog).

Also, I thought you had a Flickr group other than just for Spring Top Week, but if you do I can't find it. Am I just totally not seeing it?

26. Klarinettegal says:

Thanks for the tutorial!

I tried my first pair of these (shortened them slightly) and added a ruffle at the bottom. http://www.flickr.com/photos/klarinettegal/5415507463/

This was my first attempt at doing gathers and I still need to pick out that basting stitch on the left leg, but you get the idea… I'm still working on the applique so that needs work, but overall not a total bust. :)

27. Amanda @ Ninth Street Notions says:

Great project! I think I will definitely make these.

28. Micksmom2 says:

These are adorable! I just constructed my first pair for a friend who is expecting a summer baby. Instead of sewing the crotch seam like you did, I sewed the inside leg seam on each pant leg and then turned one pant leg inside out. I put one pant leg inside the other with right sides together. I stitched the crotch seams together, flipped the pants right side out and then hemmed the legs and made the waist casing. Easy, one two three! Thanks for sharing this pattern! I plan on making some out of flannel to donate to charity, too.

I just made some last night! Great little pattern, thanks Rae!

30. kerry says:

Thanks Rae. I am a beginner and have used the pattern above to make some reversible trousers for my friend's new baby. Pic on burda….

I had some trouble with working out how to get all the seams enclosed inside and at one point had a continuous trouser – with no space for baby!

Love the blog!

31. Jo says:

I just made my first baby pants ever with the help of your pattern and tutorial. I published the results on my blog, if you're curious you can go and have a peek at: http://trivialthingsbyjo.wordpress.com/
    Thank you so much for the help!!

Best wishes from the Netherlands,
    Jo

32. lynne says:

Thank you so much – I am off on holiday tomorrow for 2 weeks but will be itching to get home and start sewing. 2 little granddaughters have arrived recently.
    Thanks again. A friend of mine, Betty, showed me the itty bitty dress today – gorgeous!

33. Katie says:

Just made a pair for my 2 1/2 year old. I added an additional waistband, because I needed some extra rise and left the length alone. They are really cute toddler capri's!
    You can check them out at: http://katessewgreat.blogspot.com/2011/06/newborn-baby-pants.html

34. PurpleUberGoober says:

Thanks for this great pattern! I have three baby showers to attend this summer (PHEW, I know!), and I think this will be a great gift! I'm thinking about extending the length and offering to "unhem" the pants when the babies outgrow them! Can't wait to post my finished projects! :D

35. PurpleUberGoober says:

Okay, here's my finished project: click here! :)

36. birdandbicycle says:

Love it! I used your pattern to complete a dapper little outfit for my baby on the way: http://birdandbicycle.wordpress.com/2011/07/07/dapper/

37. Jenniffer says:

Thank you so much for this free pattern. I loved it so much and it was so fast and easy! I can't wait until my baby gets here so he can wear them.
    There are pictures of 2 pairs I made here on my blog:

38. Pasta Boat says:

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get three e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service? Many thanks!

Hi there! Oh goodness, I have no idea how to do that. I’m so sorry!!! Is it still happening now that the comments are going to the new website?

39. Rosie says:

these are really cute and easy,.. I am ready to make some for my two nieces arriving next month
    thanks !

40. Jo says:

Hi Rae, I made a pants using your tutorial again. It turned out lovely, if I may say so myself :-) Thanks a lot for the tutorial and if you wish, check out the post (cheering your abilities too!):

Best!

41. Milly says:

My hubby and I made a pair each of these wee pants for his sister’s newborn who should arrive any day now. He used two fat quarters of fabric that are a bit wild and I used some alphabet Beatrix Potter stuff. They are awesome! And Hubby didn’t do too bad for his first round. Took us about 2 hours.

42. These look fantastic Thank you for the tutorial and pattern I’m about to whip a pair up.

43. Thank you! I have a baby shower to go to next week and this will be a great gift.

44. mirjana says:

OMG im shattered i cant open the print comes up with an error with the print. do u have it else were or is this it, looks like a great pattern id love to give it a go now winter is coming up :)

45. megan says:

gave these a mention on my blog….. can’t wait to show the ones I make off!

Cheers.

46. Jenny says:

Fantastic pattern, however I didnt realise until I saw how long the completed pants should be when finished, that I need to select actual size and portrait when printing this pattern. The printer on my computer actually printed it too small. Also checking the square should have given me a clue! Just as well I hadnt cut them out yet

47. Debbie says:

Thank you for the free infant pants. I made a pair for my soon to come grandson and matched it up with the fabric appliqued on a onesie…turned out really cute! I love the Big Butt Baby Pants…bought the pattern today and can’t wait to make them :)

48. Taylor says:

Thank you so much for this pattern. I was looking for ages for a pattern for baby pants, but could only find tutorials that taught you how to trace a pair of pants you already have. I wanted to make a pair of PJ pants for a 3-6 month old as a gift and as I don’t have any children, I couldn’t trace any pants. I used your pattern and sized it up a little and they are so cute. Thanks again,

Taylor

49. Laura says:

Hi Rae, thank you so much for providing this pattern! I made my newborn a pair of adorable sweatpants out of an extra large sweatshirt I had around. I’m a complete beginner. Just got my sewing machine a month ago. This was the first article of clothing I’ve ever made and it turned out so nicely!

50. Alexis says:

Thanks for the tutorial Rae – I’m a beginner and found your instructions so clear and easy to follow! I didn’t have a printer to print the pattern, so I just traced a pair of pants that fit my bub (8 mths old) and followed your instructions – too easy! The pants look fantastic – I will definitely be making more!

51. Sarah O says:

I just made a pair for my friends’ baby and they turned out so cute! Here’s a photo. I’m new to sewing and this tut was easy enough for me. The hardest part was getting the elastic through the waist! Thanks so much for a great tut. Can’t wait to make more. :)

52. Eda Strauch says:

Thanks very much for sharing the pattern. I’ve just sewed one for and they turned out really cute… My daughter is pregnant with twins and these will really be a must in their wardrobe :-D

53. Hilary says:

Thanks for sharing they are real cute and easy and your instructions very clear.

54. stephanie says:

love these. they came out perfect.

55. Jill says:

Found you via Pinterest. Finished a pair of these last night for my little guy!

56. Anca says:

Hi Rae,

I am planning to sew these pants but have no idea what kind of cotton would be appropriate for a newborn’s skin. Is basic cotton ok? Like the ones for quilting or patchwork? Or does it HAVE to be jersey?

Thanks a lot for sharing all these amazing ideas:)
    Anca

57. Cassy says:

I am excited to try sewing these pants – so adorable – but what amount of fabric is needed?

58. photosarah says:

I just made a couple pairs of these. They were so easy, hardly took any fabric, and everyone thought they looked professional!

Thanks so much for the free pattern!

59. linda says:

This is wonderful! I’m no pro at sewing, but i enjoy quilting and other small projects. I made a baby blanket for one of my co-workers whose baby is about to be born, and i used leftovers of fabric to make these pants :)
    I’m so proud of myself, and huge thanks for your wonderful patterns. I’m going to add on those pockets and lining at the bottom of legs.
    Thank you, thank you, thaaaank you :)
    Cheers,
    Linda

60. Grandmother to the stars says:

Thought you should know this

I made some wee pants for charity using this pattern. My (size 4T) 3 year old (beautiful) granddaughter got hold of a pair and put them on. Lo and Behold – they were the cutest little long geek look urban wear fit ever. I since used this pattern to make some bloomer style shorts for her – by reducing the leg length by an inch and adding just one inch to the leg piece (which gives 4 more inches around). I also cut the center back a bit longer to give some BUTT to the fit .Too cute, too easy. As soon as I get a printer that works I will be buying patterns from YOU! You rock.

61. patty Gerlacher says:

Cool and easy! Thanks, Rae! :D

62. If you desire to take much from this post then you have to apply these strategies to your won weblog.

63. Jessica says:

Thanks so much for this great pattern :)
    Stumbled across a link to this pattern and just made a pair and they are too cute! I am very new to sewing so love that it was so easy to make something so gorgeous. Going to try another pair and have a go at adding trim and pockets.
    Will definitely be checking out your other tutorials

64. Esme Young says:

Hi this pattern is great thanks how can I use it for older children, like 2 to 3 yr old? Thanks alot :)

65. Joy Candrian says:

Thanks for the pattern! I just added a free Long-Legged Santa pattern onto my blog today.

66. [...] a pair of basic newborn pants (free pattern from Made By Rae) in cobalt teeny dots double gauze from the imagine gnats shop. i was feeling fancy, so i made them [...]