This tutorial shows you how to make the custom-sized fleece hat featured in this post for any size head (adult, baby, or child). The tutorial shows you how to make the hat with flowers but you could easily modify it for a more gender-neutral hat. It can also be reversed if the top of the hat is undone!

SNOWBLOSSOM HAT TUTORIAL

All text and photos are the intellectual property of Rae Hoekstra; you may link to this tutorial as long as you give proper credit, but please do not copy content for distribution or use on your own website.  Thanks!

A note about sewing fleece: I always use a stretch needle with a slightly longer stitch length (3.5-4) on a regular sewing machine when sewing with fleece. Sometimes use my serger as you can see in a few of the pictures, but I don’t really recommend it for the curved seams and overall it certainly is not necessary.

Step 1:  Measure head circumference
Take a tape measure and measure in inches the head for which this hat will be fashioned.

Step 2: Cut out fabric
Cut two rectangles out of two different colors of fleece as follows: the width of each rectangle should be the head circumference plus 1″ (for seam allowances) divided by 2.  The height of the rectangle should be the width plus 3″ (see picture above). Before cutting, make sure that you orient your fabric so that it will stretch more when you pull across the width of the rectangle than when you pull across the length.

Step 3: Cut earflap
The extra 3″ you added to the height of the hat was for an earflap. Starting 3″ from the bottom edge on one of the long sides, cut across the hat, curving downward to the bottom edge and then back up, ending 3″ from the bottom at the other side. You’ll notice in the photograph that I cut the earflaps slightly off center. If you move the earflaps away from the front edge by an inch or two, there will be more room for the face at the front of the hat.  Repeat for the other pieces, being careful to trace the exact curve you made for the first earflap.

Step 4: Sew center seams
With the right sides facing each other, sew the two matching pieces together just along their straight sides (leave the top open) with 1/4″ seams.  The seam closest to the earflap will be center back, and the other will be center front.  Repeat for the other two matching pieces so you have a hat inside and a hat outside.  Turn one right-side out.

Step 5: Sew inside and outside together
With the right sides facing eachother, sew the inside and outside of the hat together along the bottom (curved) edge.  Make sure that the center seams are lined up with eachother before sewing together.

Optional: At this point you can also sew on a couple straps if your child won’t keep the hat on unless it’s tied. Just cut a couple of 1″-2″ strips of fleece and sandwich them between the two layers of the hat with the end of the strap positioned over the earflap.

Step 6: Turn hat right-side out
I find that fleece is stretchy enough that I don’t really need to clip the curved seams before I turn it right-side out, but if you find that the seam doesn’t sit flat, you may want to clip seams first and then turn it right-side out.

Step 7: Embellish if desired
Cut a few flowers from 2″ squares of fleece. If you wanted a different look you could also cut polka dots or cars or mushrooms or whatever, or just leave this off altogether.  I originally intended to hand-stitch the flowers on with yarn, but I found that the weave of the fleece was too tight for my needle to get through, so I ended up machine stitching the flowers on with a few stitches back and forth in an X pattern. I only sew through one layer of fleece here so it wouldn’t be visible on the other side.  You can also see that I originally intended to put more flowers on, but after sewing on three flowers I decided that was enough.

Step 8: Cinch the top and trim if necessary
Cut a 1″ strip of fleece and use it to tie the top about 3″ from the top.  It may help to try the hat on and see where the best place to tie it will be.  The beauty here is that if the hat is too big you can just cinch it lower and trim more off the top.

Here’s a closeup of the top:

Step 9: Cut top of hat into sections (or strips)
To get the flower-like top you’ll need to cut each color at the top of the hat into about 8 sections. Take the scissors and starting from the top of the hat, cut towards the tie as close as you can without cutting it. The more strips you cut here, the more the top of the hat will resemble a pompom (and when I’ve made these for my son, that’s what I usually do).

Step 10: Clip off corners
Now take the scissors and clip the corners of each section so that they are rounded like flower petals.

Congratulations, you’re finished! Put that hat on and take some pictures! Then go make another one!!!

Categories: tutorial

56 Responses to Snowblossom Hat Tutorial by Rae

1. Chris says:

Adorable, Rae. Thanks for another great tutorial! :)

2. Janna says:

My kids need hats! Thank-you so much.

3. Jessica says:

Great tutorial. I will make one tomorrow. And perhaps some more.

Thanks very much.

4. Marisa says:

This is so cute! And so easy. Love fleece. Thanks Rae!

5. Admitted Fabricaholic says:

I love fabric that you don't need to worry about fraying hems…fleece rocks!

6. Emily says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was hoping for a tutorial after you posted pics of your cutie last week. :) I love thicker (ie two layered) hats.

7. Anshu says:

You're just so wow! This is so original and creative. I was going to beg you for a tutorial after you'd posted the pictures in your last post. So glad that you did it already!

8. Katrine says:

I love it! I am going to make it masculine for my boys and nephews!

9. Myrnie says:

Adorable! haha- makes me wish I hadn't just spent a week of evenings using an old "knifty knitter" to make much-needed hats for the girls ;) I think they probably need more than one hat each….

10. Kristin says:

thanks! great Christmas gifts for little nieces and nephews. :)

11. Melissa says:

Cute Cute! And so easy. Thanks!

12. Made For F and E says:

Yay! I can't wait to make it!!

13. Valerie says:

Just a question on figuring the width of the hat. The picture shows the width is equal to [HC + 1"] / 2. But, the text says it's the HC divided by 2 [first] with 1" added to that number. Curious which way is correct??

14. mel says:

Hooray! Hoped there'd be a tute for this one! Thanks!!

15. Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

Aww, way cute and WAY giftable! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

16. Emily Elizabeth says:

I love it! I think the top looks like one of those big flowering cabbages :)

17. La Chili says:

It's increadibly cute, thanks for the tutorial.

18. Maris says:

Very cute hat, and great tutorial. Thanks!

SewMaris

19. Kourtney says:

So great! Thank you for sharing… now I have a good idea for basic construction… just need to "boy" mine up a bit.

20. Grandma G says:

Thanks for the tutorial! It is definitely on my to-do list!

21. Su says:

Oh, this is Cute!! I think I'll have to make some. Gotta get some fleece…

22. Mrs. Rogers says:

Thank you! I'm so happy you made a tutorial on this hat because I was sooooo excited when I saw the original post but then had a tear go down my cheek when I realized there wasn't a tutorial with it!

23. Miss Pelicano says:

So cute!

24. Meg says:

ADORABLE! I found this blog a few weeks ago and am in love. I made the big butt baby pants yesterday for my cloth diapered twin girls now can not wait to make these too I need fleece and the fabric store is an hour away:( I live in MI too so happy to find this fun blog thanks for the tutorial!

25. Rae says:

Valerie:
    Thanks for pointing that out — I forgot that I actually used a smaller (1/4") SA for the sides originally. It's been corrected now! :)

26. Texana says:

Thanks for the tutorial…I am so gonna make this for my granddaughter!I just got a couple remnants at JoAnn's that will be perfect for this!

27. Zaaberry says:

Another great tutorial Rae! I made a boy version blogged here: http://zaaberry.blogspot.com/2010/11/polka-dot-boy.html

28. Emily says:

I just made one- SO CUTE! Thank you!

29. Miss Crafty says:

I love everything you do! keep up with the great stuff ;) cheers from Guatemala City :)

30. Diana says:

Thanks for the awesome and easy tutorial! Here's my version (well, one of them at least!)

31. Roselee says:

Thank you for sharing – check out how happy my little one is with hers: http://roseleej.blogspot.com/2010/12/crafting-for-holidays.html

32. nicky says:

I have been searching for a feminine fleece hat tutorial…thank you!

I made mine, and linked back to your blog…

Thanks again!

33. Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont says:

Hi Rae! Happy New Year!
    I wanted to let you know I used your pattern (with Zaaberry's no-front-seam solution) for hats for all my nieces and nephew this Christmas. You can see how they turned out here:
    Thanks so much for this tutorial! The kids loved their new hats. :)

34. Karine says:

Wonderful. I just made it !!!

35. Kate I. says:

I just made of these hats for each of my girls and they turned out so cute. Thanks for the tutorial!

36. Angee says:

I'd like to make this with longer earflaps and braids. Do you have any suggestions on how to adjust your pattern?

37. Matt & Kristin says:

I was definitely eying my daughter's hat like this the other day thinking I could totally duplicate it. Now you've taken the hard work out of it for me by writing this tute!

38. Karina says:

I just finished making this and it took maybe 40 minutes! And for once I didn't even need my seam ripper, like usual! LOL Great hat. Super cute…just waiting for my little one to wake from her nap to try it on!

39. subha says:

can't wait to make this!! thanks!

40. Sabine says:

Very cute!! I am just starting out with sewing, and have to find a 'stretch' needle, but love this pattern!!

41. haathse says:

you are officially my sewing guru. although you dont know it!

i love this hat – it is awesome and quick! I turned it into an elmo hat for my daughter who is OBSESSED with him (funny fact: i started out knitting her an elmo hat, and was too lazy to swatch it out first – ended up with something 3-4 times the size of her head! sewing the fleece was so much better and faster!!)

here is my elmo version of the hat:

42. Melissa says:

You're a genius! Super cute hat. Thanks you so very much for the tutorial.

43. Lora Martin says:

I can’t wait to try this out! My daughter lovs dinosaurs so I am going to try going for a dinosaur theme. Cutout dino shapes to sew on and maybe make the top strips pointed like teeth! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

44. Dakota says:

Now that its cooling down a bit in southern california, ( i had to put TWO layers on my toddler and THREE on my 8 month old when we went to the park this late afternoon and it was 61 degrees farenheit) I need had for my girlies to play and stare at other children in. Making SOOON,

45. Cindy says:

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing this great tutorial. The hat is adorable. I just finished making one and it turned out great!!

46. crafty beth says:

I just love your tutorials,and this is no exception–these are so quick, cute, and cuddly! I made some for my son’s preschool winter hat drive, and now I’m going to make some for my own kids–and possibly Christmas gifts too! You can see my version here–

47. Nic says:

Fabulous hat, really easy to make, which is bonus for me as baby girl doesn’t give me much time to do anything in.

I made this version for my god daughter

48. eleftheria says:

I have already made four different hats!!!!!Two for my twin girls and two for my friends kids!!!It is amazing how easy and wonderful they are!!!
    Thanks for the idea!!!

49. Zonya says:

Just finished my first hat. What a wonderful tutorial. Check mine out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/74024107@N02/sets/72157629275128265/

50. Hello! Thank you for this nice tutorial! I did a hat yesterday you can see some picture on my blog (sorry it’s in french!):

51. luciana says:

I love your work.
    thanks for sharing w/us.
    Lu

52. Thanks so much for this! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

53. Kristal says:

I made three of these hats today. Your tutorial was amazing! Thank you. I wanted to add, though, that I discovered, if you fold the fabric over and cut with it with the earflap closer to the fold, the front seam can be eliminated. This looks much better, especially if using a patterned fabric.

54. Kristal says:

It’s late. I was up late sewing, and I’m obviously a little tired… and I forgot to proofread before clicking “post.” What I meant to say was cut the hats out with the earflap FARTHER AWAY FROM the fold, the front seam can be eliminated.

55. becky says:

just featured this on my blog– with other winter hat tutorials! thanks for sharing it. http://www.patchworkposse.com/blog/2012/12/11-winter-hat-tutorials/

56. Nic says:

I love this pattern, I just made another without the seam down the front and a lovely plush lining – so cozy