This top was the “test run” for the Polka-dot top posted earlier this week. I wasn’t sure I would have enough time to pull together a second version so I made sure I liked the fabric and that it would work if it had to be the only one that was made. It was made from a vintage sheet from my grandmother and the same pattern as the Polka Dot Top (and Ric Rac Baby Dress), just with sleeves and that little notch at the top (which I’ve been seeing all over the place for the last couple of years, in Amy Butler’s Little Stitches book and the Oliver+S Ice Cream Social top, just to name a few). It ended up being a runner-up for that post as I think this one is just as Gyo-Fujikawa-esque as the first (hmm..I don’t think that adjective will catch on). Bonus: it works great with the blue capris too!

You should probably start to worry that you’ll see that daisy headband in every post from here on out.

Categories: Uncategorized

50 Responses to Daisy Queen strikes again

1. Bethany says:

I HOPE I see that daisy headband in every post–too cute!
    And what a pretty top!

2. Wendi says:

So sweet!

3. Emily says:

So pretty and perfect for spring/summer!

4. Julie says:

How cute! Did you make the headband too? (probably a rhetorical question)

5. Laura @ ON{thelaundry}LINE says:

I am madly in love with that notch in the neckline. MADLY. I haven't really noticed it on anything previously enough that it really struck me, but here it did, even before you mentioned it.

6. Peggy says:

She looks absolutely adorable! And I LOVE the fabric… (sigh) We have the same exact sheet set in our closet awaiting a new life. In fact my husband and I grew up sleeping on those sheets at our grandparents houses. The memories!

Another great pattern! Great job! :)

7. Jodi says:

I love the shirt and the headband!

8. Chris says:

This top is adorable. What are you going to do without your great turquoise backdrop???

9. ~Beth D. says:

Beautiful! Great job!

10. Cathy says:

Another adorable creation! I love the ease of snaps in the store bought clothing for my daughter, and I noticed in this top you used snaps in the back. You may have answered this question in a previous post, but, do you have a snap setter that you like to use?

11. ZiaMaria says:

Beautiful!

12. Rae says:

Chris: I don't know, but I am taking my extra paint with me!!! Maybe a giant piece of plywood?

Cathy: Good question! I use a Dritz snap press, and yup you're right I did talk about it a little in the Baby Sunsuit post (you can find it on the left sidebar, sorry I'm a little link-lazy right now).

Back to packing!!

13. vonFRINKenhagen says:

Cute.

I totally thought it said "Dairy Queen" and kept wondering when you were going to start talking about Blizzard-y goodness. :)

14. beth lehman says:

So adorable – but shouldn't you be packing, dear?? Hard to find a procrastinator that is so much like me!

15. Jolene says:

You put off packing as much as I do! :) LOVE this top. When I first saw it I was thinking, I think I have a thrifted sheet in my stash that looks an awful lot like that. hee-hee I can't believe how big C is; and all of a sudden it seems like! I really need baby #3 to be a girl so I can make all these cuties you've been creating for yours!

16. Charlotte says:

When I saw the first photo, I was taken back to my grandma's house. Oh, I remember a sheet set of the same print, I would always insist that those went onto my bed. Its makes me smile when I see dresses made out of vintage sheets, almost all of my dresses growing up were once sheets.
    By the way I love seeing the things you make though I am only blessed with boys I like to imagine.

17. dana says:

love it! so very cute! and I just love seeing more pics of Clementine. I still remember the post you did the day you announced she was born and what her name was. Has it been that long?
    Sorry to get all sentimental here. haha

18. Linda says:

The top is adorable. I love it with the vintage sheet fabric. The showstopper is your little model!

19. Medrie says:

It's TOTALLY Gyo-Fujikawa-esque.

20. nest full of eggs says:

sweet :)

21. Lise says:

Oh I wish I had a little girl to make this for!

From a boy heavy household..

22. beaniekid19 says:

This is super cute!

but I feel like you should be packing….

23. Cerise says:

SO beautiful! Love the daisy headband too!!

24. Ooty says:

So cute!

25. Jessica Sorensen says:

I LOVE this one. I liked your polka dot one too but I really love this one and it goes perfect with the daisy crown.

26. hungiegungie says:

i REALLY love this top. the notch is perfecttion. :) -Erin

27. Erin says:

The fact that you're blogging so faithfully AND moving this week is starting to stress ME out. :) It's very impressive. I absolutely love this outfit (and the polka dot one before). The capri pants are just killing me. The single pintucks in front is so cute!

28. Emily Elizabeth says:

Isn't it funny that us sewists can get so my joy over a notch in a neckline? We are a special breed of people :)

29. Liz says:

Love that headband. It's adorable – just like your little girl.

30. Chase says:

Sweet dress.. Wondering what fabric line you have for the top~

31. Jacqueline says:

that top is super sweet. love the fabric and the little one wearing it is too cute. my girls always pair longish shirts/summer dresses with jeans, too. love it!

32. feelincrafty says:

This is adorable. The first thing I thought was wondering if it was a vintage sheet. And it is! I love the fabric from the vinstgae sheets.

33. Kristy says:

Sew adorable! And I love the headband on her, just precious! (hey! at least she is willing to wear it! I say soak it for all it's worth!) :)

34. Alli (One Pearl Button) says:

How sweet! I love the fabric and the daisy headband – could it be more perfect for spring?

Also, I'm pretty sure we had pillowcases in that pattern when I was growing up!

35. sew grown says:

I'm IN LOVE! The polka dot one was way cute but this one is my fav!

36. katiexreyes says:

Awesome! Just bought a few sheets from the thrift store I fell in love with the vintage pattern. I was looking a few days for the perfect dress, or shirt pattern that wouldn't look too much like jammies. And this is the one! Would LOVE a tutorial, thanks!

37. JKWright says:

I would TOTALLY buy this pattern in a heartbeat if you were to offer it for sale! Beautiful! ha ha – my husband just said I would probably buy the little girl too if you offered her for sale. Hmmmm… that's weird…. but she's beautiful too :)

38. Michelle's Style File says:

Beautiful blog.

x
    Michelle

39. TheBlackForrist says:

Very "Gyo"… that's the first thing I thought when I saw it actually, AND "retro sheets". Doesn't get any more darling, the whole package deal!

40. DeltaJoy says:

What a sweet, adorable face! The fabric is totally lovely and the notch is going to catch on!!

41. tamdoll says:

This top is really precious!!! I'm starting to wish my girls were little again to make them some cute clothing.

42. SueMurph says:

So sweet…the top, Little Ms. C and the headband. I can see this pattern in so many different fabrics and adaptable too. Good luck on your move…enjoy the sunset side of our beautiful state:)for the spring and summer!

43. Mama Bear says:

I'm so glad that others adore Gyo Fujikawa also! Let's start a movement to get that adjective to catch on. That top is SO darling!

44. RachelDenbow says:

Oh, that top is lovely and I think we have the same chairs!

Good luck with the moving. It can be so fun to decorate but having to pack up and unpack and then again…I hope it goes as smoothly as possible!

45. Tracy M says:

I love love love that floral fabric on her cute little shirt! So pretty:)

46. Deborah Raymond says:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words… the first one in this post truly is.
    Adorable
    Darling
    Fabulous
    Sweet
    Tender
    Soft
    etc…

47. lili ash says:

SO CUTE. I love this top, it is perfectly sweet. And I think Gyo-Fujikawa-esque might stick… perhaps it should be a reoccurring theme?

48. MB says:

I adore that top and the neckline detail. Please please please include that detail in the pattern– cannot wait to buy it! :)

49. amandajean says:

i misread the title…i thought it said "dairy queen strikes again"…i kept reading the post wondering when the ice cream came in. HA! you have a cutie pie there! love her outfit!

50. Stitchbird says:

I love this dress, the wee notch in the top and the sleeves. Plus the headband is too cute why wouldn't you have her wear it every moment you can!