Thanks for all of the great comments on my first Charlie Pullover Tunic (posted here)! It sounds like some of you are going to attempt something similar for your own boys, which is very cool! For those of you who might not know where to start, I’m almost finished with a pattern for this (in sizes 12 months – 5T for now). I know I’m usually pretty slow at this stuff, but I really am very nearly there. Those of you who are waiting for other patterns (Pierrot and that piped sunbonnet, to name just two) are probably going to scream at me for having to wait even longer, but I swear they are next on The List. After I move in a couple weeks. Hee! Am not stressing, am not stressing.

pointed placket
flat placket
another version, cuffs folded up

I fiddled around with that placket a little and decided the flat bottom looks nice too. After I unloaded all my photos I realized I kindof forgot to take pictures of Elliot wearing the blue one (oops!). It’s made of a sturdier cotton (Kona quilting cotton) and the green one was made with a super-cheap broadcloth which means neither has the same nice easy flow that the linen one does. But I figured you never know until you try! It doesn’t matter since both of these will still get plenty of wear.

original Charlie

OK, so now you’ve seen them all. Which one do we like the best?

Categories: CELEBRATE THE BOY 2011

31 Responses to More Charlie Tunics!

1. sew grown says:

I love these tunics. It's a refreshing change in the boy wardrobe! That ruler fabric is too cute. You have the best taste in fabrics!

2. Libby says:

Really loving the original Charlie!

3. Bethany says:

I'm partial to the original because of that yum ruler fabric. But I dig the look of the others–it almost looks like he's wearing a tie!

4. lizajane says:

They are all very cool. I like that it is not a traditional boy shirt, but still a boy shirt nonetheless. Very nice!

5. Sarah says:

I love this tunic top so much, I wish you would make a grown up pattern too, but my boys are going to be showered in these! I can't wait. Thank-you thank-you thank-you!
    Sarah

6. Karen says:

The problem with picking a favorite is that not only do they all look awesome on your blog, but he looks *great* in every single one of them!

7. Clover says:

Love.

The overall look of the original is great but I love the cuffs and the flat bottom of the plackard.

make one with linen, flat bottom plackard and rolled cuff. Hee Hee that would be my favorite.

8. Cerise says:

Love them all. I'm kinda loving that green with the flat plackard.
    Can't wait for the pattern! I think you need to make one for Mama's too!

9. Bonney says:

I love the pointed placket but they're all cute. Now, where's the patterns!!!?

10. Jo @ a life in lists says:

My favourite is definitely the Original Charlie – love the natural looking fabric with the cool placket. Can't wait for the pattern!

11. Julie says:

oh I was hoping you would make this into a pattern.
    I love the green one.
    thanks julie

12. Kelly Irene says:

They are all so cute! My favorite is the green with the pointed placket.

13. Jo (@ boogaloo) says:

super cute. love the last one!

14. Cindy says:

please, oh please, make one more Mamas, too?!? My first and favorite item of clothing that I made for myself was your spring ruffle top, so I know you could put together an excellent pattern inspired by this!

15. Hi, I'm Hannah. says:

Green one is my favorite followed by the ruler one…love them all really. Good work!

16. Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

Love the natural color one with the tape measure trim!

17. littlebitty says:

I really like all of them, they are so cute!

18. Jenny says:

I love the green one best.

19. Ana e os Vira Ventos says:

As a mother of two boys (5 and 2 years old) I am delighted to find your work. I will want your pattern, that is for sure, I just need to know where to buy it. Congratulations on your taste, skills and work! Ana

20. Amy says:

Pointed with cuffs folded up!!! Can't wait to get the pattern!!!

-Amy
    Crafting by candlelight

21. Laura McGee says:

i want to make one for my boy!! i like the flat placket the best, its a bit more boyish to me i guess, but they are all awesome!! :) id love to make one for my son with that ruler fabric! awesome

22. Margaret says:

¡¡¡¡YAY!!!!
    I am so excited to try making this.
    Thank you for creating a pattern.

I think the original tunic is the loveliest with its pointy placket and fabric choices.

23. Christina says:

Definitely loving the sage green! I'm looking forward to the pattern. Usually I don't make clothes for my boys because they'll just stain them, and I can get nice used clothes so cheaply, that it feels kinda pointless. However, these look like they'd come together quickly enough to be worth it!

24. Anna says:

love these rae, they're just so cool! so many patterns on your list. :) and happy moving, wish I could help ya!

25. Ellen says:

These are so wonderful – I'd like one for myself! :)
    btw – I just joined the Celebrate The Boy flickr group – I made checkers & checkerboard for my son.

26. AMY says:

I love these tunics. They are just perfect such a great idea. Awesome job coming up with these.

27. hungiegungie says:

i love these tunics. but, i don't know what's cuter- the shirt or that darling boy! can't wait to make one (a shirt that is…)!

28. Kia says:

Finally – something cute for my boy. I'm anxiously awaiting the pattern…please, hurry, my boy is rapidly growing out of his current clothes and since I found this, I'm not buying anything until this pattern comes out. Also, are you doing a zebra shirt pattern? I loved that one too…

29. Kimberly says:

I am finally, FINALLY getting around to reading all of your wonderful Celebrate the Boy posts and I'm totally nerding out over this tunic. It's super, super cute! Can't wait 'till the pattern comes out.

30. Pamela says:

Anxiously awaiting pattern…

31. smilingwoman says:

I love the Original Charlie because of the nod to natural fabric… but I also love the blue tunic because of the fun color and accent colors! Awesome projects!