With Spring and Easter on the brain lately (by the way, our spring snow has all melted!), I had this idea (which seemed absolutely brilliant in my head at the time) to put bunny kneepads on the Big Butt Baby pants. Then realized that white kneepads wouldn’t exactly be the most practical. Then I realized I didn’t care.

These were made with the cuffed version of the Big Butt Baby Pants and I added piping to the cuff as this keeps the fold nice and stiff and prevents it from unfolding while they are worn (and if you add an inch to the leg using the cuffed version instructions, it turns a 18-24 month size pair of pants into a 2T when unfolded). Maybe a tutorial on how to “pipe up” the B3Ps soon.
blurry, but at least it gives you a full length shot

The result is this little pair of pants for Ms C made with the same pale pink baby wale corduroy as the Bear Hat. The bunnies are the same french terry used for the lining of the hat. I used a picture that I found online of Miffy by Dick Bruna (anyone else a fan?) and just traced the outline right onto the interfacing I used to attach them to the pants. You could definitely throw this onto any old pair of pants.

Want to make your own Bunny Pants? A quick how-to:

1. Construct your pants or buy a pair plain.

2. Print out or draw your bunny. I searched images for “Dick Bruna Miffy” and used the first image there, printing it directly from Chrome (my web browser). You may have to go to “View” in your browser and “Zoom in” to get the image large enough on the page. Check how big it is on the Print Preview before you print it out. You could also literally hold your interfacing (see next step) right up over your computer screen, zoom in on the image until it’s large enough, and trace it from there.

3. Trace the bunny twice onto Heat n’ Bond or another double-sided fusible interfacing. Iron the interfacing to the back side of the fabric you are using for the bunnies.

5. Cut out your bunnies and iron them to the pants. Mark the eyes and nose locations with disappearing marking pen.

6. Machine stitch all the way around the outside of the bunnies, about 1/8″-1/4″ away from the edge. I know in this picture there’s all sorts of little white pieces of fuzz, but trust me, after washing those bits of fuzz disappear. The interfacing prevents it from fraying so you don’t have to worry about finishing the edges.

7.  Sew nose by making an “X” with embroidery floss and knotting the ends on the inside of the pants. You can also sew the eyes on with embroidery floss by stitching short lines in a row across the width of the eye.

Alternatively (and less safely, please use common sense when attaching buttons to ANY childrenswear, children who put things in their mouths should not have accessible buttons on any of their clothing), you could use buttons for the eyes. Do remember that children are apt to fall, and buttons with this particular shape might not be particularly comfortable to land on as well. ** End Public Safety Announcement**

Voila! Bunny pants!

If you do make a pair, be sure to add them to the Rae Made Me Do It pool so we can all enjoy them!

Categories: Homepage Slider, clothes for girls, tutorial

36 Responses to Bunny Pants! (with a little tutorial)

1. Maggie says:

These are super adorable! You could use the same idea to applique a shirt! Not that I have the time AT ALL to do that before Sunday, but that doesn't mean I won't try!

2. boomie says:

I'm a HUGE fan of Nijntje, that's how Miffy is called in the original language (Dutch). When I was little, my dad used to read for me from the Nijntjes-books.
    Love the pants by the way!

3. crafterhours says:

Aw, I love Miffy! I think it has something to do with the eyes being located on the lower third of the head – it results in immediate cuteness.

cute pants too, btw :)

4. Christina says:

Super-cute!

5. Kimberly says:

So freakin' cute!

6. Bless by Tone says:

super cute!!!

7. meg says:

adorable!

8. Jessica says:

Would it be as adorable and well received to put bunnies on the knees of my sweatpants? I'll be in the hospital on Easter after having a baby, so maybe that's how I can get my Easter dress-up on :)

9. Christie @ A Lemon Squeezy Home says:

So adorable, Rae!

Oh my gosh, these are way too cute. If I were you and little C was toddling around my house wearing those, I'd start giggling every time I saw her. Fantastic.

11. Deborah says:

You are KILLING ME with these pants!!! To die. Love.

12. Jolene says:

Oh I am sooo putting bunnies on my boys pants. Yes, I'm going to make my boy wear bunnies. *big grin* BTW, that Scout phone in one of the photos is also a fav over here as well. Especially number 3; gets a big laugh every time :)

13. Care says:

Aaah! I adore me a good bunny, and a good pair of dusty pink pants!

14. carey says:

so cute!

15. EHC says:

A tutorial on piping B3 pants would be lovely, as I've just purchased your pattern and am about to use it for the 1st time.

If you felt so inclined, a few general tips or tricks thrown in about using piping would be fabulous too. I've been sewing up some Itty Bitty dresses for our upcoming baby girl and realized when I got to that step in the pattern that I've never used piping before. Not rocket science, obviously, but it would be nice to know the correct way to use piping!

16. Wieke says:

I grew up with Nijntje! My family in Holland sends us Nijntje books and I have been making my 16 month old daughter all kinds of things 'Nijntje'!

17. Kristy says:

Oh! I'm with you…who cares about practical, those are stinkin' ADORABLE!!!

18. SewTara says:

Too cute! My son is always wearing through one knee on his pants. This is a good patch idea!
    I'll have to go find a pair to repair tomorrow!

19. Cerise says:

Ahh! Love Miffy! So cute.

20. CraftCrave says:

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [21 Apr 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

21. Katie says:

Haha! (delighted laugh) Super cute. :)

22. ~ Kim ~ says:

Gorgeous. I have a book at home with Miffy pics too I saved for the right project. Adorable! Thanks!

23. Conny's Cottage says:

hello,

that is so lovly.

I like it…

24. bethanndodd says:

too cute!

25. Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com says:

Very sweet little pants!

26. Rachel says:

Those are super cute! I love the bunny patches.

27. PearlsForMyGirls says:

Too cute (and so is C!)

28. Bevin says:

Oh my gosh, these are so stinkin' cute. I cannot wait to get home and whip up a pair!

29. Cassie says:

i'm a huge fan of dick bruna so i had to make these immediately, easter or not. however after i stitched them up all neatly just now i realised that my son is at the age where he is constantly falling on his knees so maybe not the best idea. i had to settle for one stitched on a top instead and so now i have one left over for my eldest son too. perfect!

30. Seamingly Smitten says:

absolutely precious!

31. Esther says:

Nijntje is great! I use a lot of Dick Bruma images for painting, sewing or whatever needs a fun image. Like this (on Flickr).
    Using Nijntje as knee pads is new, but I'll definitely keep it in mind, since my daughter just started to crawl outside!

32. Okie Okasan says:

Ack! I LOVE Miffy and all things Dick Bruna! What a wonderful way to use her likeness. These pants are simply adorable!

33. Faye says:

serious… this is not right. your page and danas stuff is going to make my computer crash! i have to have like.. 40 windows and tabs open right now and i cant save them fast enough without clicking something else! im pregnant with twin boys and they are due feb. this would be perfect for me to make them a set of matching bunny pants to wear for easter that will be right around the corner. love this and just about EVERYTHING else on this site as well. bravo and i hate you for your creative genius/ability. the best kind of hate i can muster :)

34. Sally says:

LOVE THE BUNNIES!!! :-) So cute :-) And your blog is so fun to read- I’ll add it to my bloglist

35. Lily says: