I wanted to see if I could make a short-sleeved version of the Charlie tunic (which is at the top of My List right now, really want to get this out there before Spring Tops take over my life next week). I honestly wondered if it would look alright with short sleeves or just be kind of weird. You can be the judge I suppose but I think this is pretty fantastic. I love the retroish look of the sleeve facings and this froggy print is really really cute (Rachel of Retrolabs brought this to last summers’ Weekend Sewing workshop and she gave me a piece, thank you Rachel!!!). The goal for today is to put a short-sleeved cutting line onto the pattern pieces, the other versions I’ve made have all been long-sleeved.

pretty sure this fabric is out of print

In case you can’t tell, this shirt is meant to be a shirt for a boy (although in the back of my head I am always thinking gender-neutral so Ms C can wear it too in a few years). The question now is if he will wear it? Elliot pre-approved the froggy print, but then took one look at the finished top and said (and this is in his words) “I want you to cut off the red and orange parts. I want JUST the green frogs, Mama.” Waaaaaaaah? Seriously child? You are killing me here! Worry not, you shall see a picture of a child in this shirt, even if it takes an entire Hershey bar.

Categories: patterns

23 Responses to Charlie with short sleeves!

1. Clodagh a.k.a. Isra says:

I love it! Great fabric.

I have a question as I have wanted to refashion a LS blouse of my daughters and put little cuffs on the sleeves as short sleeve. BUT I am not sure do you cut straight or on an angle? Do you measure from the wrist up or from the shoulder down? any help will be appreciated. thanks

2. Tammy says:

"Even if it takes an entire Hershey Bar". LOL

Cute shirt!

3. Mylinh says:

LOL. It can really be a nuisance when they start to have opinions of their own. I love the shirt, though!!

4. ifonlytheywouldnap says:

LOVE it with the short sleeves! i'll have to give it a try too. :)
    jess

5. Clover says:

This looks great in short sleeve. I keep thinking about your other posts on this shirt. I cant wait til you are done with the pattern. Isnt it funny how the kids are with fabric. My dtr is the same way. I made her a button down shirt with a fabric that has little red riding hood and the wolf on it and she says its a boy shirt cause it has the boy wolf on it…??? Luckily I made a skirt that goes with it so now it is a "girls" Funny little minds.

6. Sabra says:

ha ha ha! See, therein lies the problem with creating for your children. They begin to think you can do ANYTHING. And they demand anything, too. Love it, though! The short sleeves look great.

7. Dolores says:

Cute shirt but it looks feminine to me too!

8. Sascha says:

I LOVE IT!!! I can't judge if it's too feminine, you've seen what I dress Vinny in.

9. outrosretalhos says:

I love it!!!!! Can't wait for the pattern!

10. Inge's Gift says:

Boys will be boys :) I love the shirt and will try to make my boys one "with green frogs". :)

11. carey says:

I love it!

12. Rachel says:

Love the shirt. That sounds like something my son would say!! Too bad cutting out the icky colored parts isn't as easy as your son makes it sound! :)

Cheers!
    Rachel

13. GroovyMoments says:

What a great top!

14. Rachel says:

I LOVE what you did with this froggie fabric! Fantastic shirt! And thanks for the link! :)

15. OneGirlCircus says:

Our kids crack me up, but it is quite an honor to think that they believe we can make anything!!!

love the shirt!

16. hungiegungie says:

i love this oh so much.

17. Anonymous says:

I really, really, really want this adorable pattern my my little boy…

18. chris says:

I love the shirt and think it is definitely boy. Question do you know where I might be able to get that fabric? I am working on a baby quilt using woodland characters, orange, green and brown and this would be a perfect addition. Thanks.

19. Anonymous says:

Love it. Wanted to make a Charlie since Celebrate the Boy month (thank you btw)and have been also thinking that I really need to make some summer pjs for my Bean Boy. This short sleeved version is perfect! Even have a light tshirt of mine I will use (something in my washer's been poking holes in my clothes dammit). Now I just need the contrast material – guess I'll have to go fabric shopping. Oh darn.

20. Ixchelle says:

Can't wait for the pattern for this shirt! I love them all. I think this shirt can be boy or girl. I have 2 boys I want to make it for, but I bet my niece would like one too.

21. erika @ small shop says:

Oh my this is absolutely adorable! You are so talented!

22. Claudia says:

The Charly tunic is so absolutely cute I am at loss for words! And I am so looking forward to the pattern just as many others obviously! Thank you so much Rae for sharing your phantastic ideas with us. Greetings from Germany

23. Astrid says:

Rae, this is gorgeous! I love, love, love it! Beautiful fabric combo! :)