It’s time to reveal my next Spring Top! Thanks for all the top love yesterday by the way! I’m so glad you all liked it so much! Maybe you’ll like this one too:

In keeping with my “Keep It Simple” theme this year, I wanted to have a top that would go with more of the skirts and shorts (many of which are patterned) in my closet. With this design I decided to go even MORE basic than a two-piece top (like yesterday’s) and cut this top from a single piece of fabric. I folded the fabric in half where the shoulders are, then folded it down the center and cut out the basic shape, which you can see is really just a curve under the arms and then goes straight down.
There’s some gathering at the neckline in a few places and a neckband, but that’s basically it! This knit fabric is fabulously soft and really stretchy and flowy. I think this top is going to be one of my favorites. It needs to be ironed a bit so it doesn’t look so wrinkly. Oops…noticed that after I took the pictures. I don’t actually remember where the fabric came from but I’m pretty sure it’s a bamboo blend (thanks Rae, really helpful. *rolls eyes*). Can’t wait to make more clothes from the rest of it, maybe PJs or clothes for the kids.
I originally intended for the top to have a waistband and once it was on I thought it looked pretty good without. But then I took a few pictures….

…and I thought it looked nice with the waistband too. With? Without? This is my problem, I’m a terrible decision maker when it comes to clothing.  I’m leaning one way more than the other right now though, just looking at these. What do you think?
Oh wait! I almost forgot to show you my favorite necklace which looks really great with this top….
 *puts down computer and goes to take a few pictures*
OK I’m back. Sorry, no tripod for these, but in a rare moment of solidarity my hair is actually looking good today to make up for it (thanks to Mr Rae’s Mother’s Day prezzie of a family photoshoot this morning!):

I bought the necklace back in December at the Detroit Urban Craft Fair when I was supposed to be Christmas shopping for my family (hee, oops). And now I’ve totally forgotten what the shop was called…think it’s on Etsy. Can anyone help? Anyway she had the cutest fabrics mounted on necklaces, perfect present for a fabric-lover I say!

UPDATED: Found fabric necklace seller’s name: Christine Edwards, still haven’t found shop online…perhaps she just sells in person?

Don’t forget to VOTE today and every day this week for your favorite tops! You can access the current vote from the left sidebar of my blog!
Categories: spring tops 2011

79 Responses to Rae’s Spring Top: Ivory Knit V-neck

1. Cerise says:

Such a nice top! I like it with the waistband, but it does look nice without too. I think the waistband does something to dress it up a little more.

2. Mrs. 13 Stoploss says:

Love this top! Hope you don't mind if I try to replicate it… although, I'm terrible at neckbands, necklines, whatever, I pretty much stink at them all. Any advice?

3. Elizabeth says:

SOO cute… and definitely with the waistband!

4. Scarlet says:

I really think that the waistband is a nice touch. I think it is more flattering.

5. Jennifer says:

Cute top! I like the waistband. Love the necklace and the leaf earrings too!

6. tracy_a says:

Whoa – fantastic! I would love to make something like this – if you ever write a pattern, let me know! I like the waistband – but I think it looks fine without. Depends on if you wear with a bottom is flowy or fitted, I think.

7. Maggie says:

I LOVE your knit shirt! It's my favorite top so far this year. Any chance you'll share a tutorial on it? And this should make you laugh: the first couple pictures I saw, I was like, "Oh my goodness. SO CUTE! I have to figure out how to make one for myself. Only, I'll add a waistband." Ha! You did! And I love it!

8. Ashe Family says:

So cute!!! I think the waistband is SOOOO cute!!!

9. Bethany says:

Awesome necklace!! You should give it to me. Y'know–just because :)
    And I vote for the waistband.It makes it a little more finished or fitted or something–I'm not sure which word is eluding me right now…

10. Meg says:

Waistband! Gives it a nice touch! Love it!

11. Aly says:

very pretty. another vote for the waistband from me.

12. Jolene says:

Definitely keep the band! It looks more finished. LOVING this top, and I might have to try it myself. I'm afraid of buying knits online though, I never seem to get what I think I'm getting. Might have to start asking for some swatches…

13. Twins Squared says:

I love this top! I was totally digging it in the first couple of pictures and then when I saw it with the waistband I liked it even more! I agree with other commenters that a tutorial would be awesome! Because I'm sure you don't have anything else to do! :) I just feel like this is such a universal top that would look great on many body types.

14. venus says:

Soooo cute, Rae! I like it with the waistband…

15. sarah says:

i love the waistband, but i put them on nearly every top i make because i like them so much. :) also, adorable necklace. a fabric pendant is such a good idea.

16. Jodi says:

What does the back look like?

17. Can't Believe I'm Sewing says:

Cute top! I really like it with the waistband!

18. Nicole says:

Definitely with the waistband–much more modern looking. Great job! I hear ya with the ironing of the shirt thing–I'm appalled when I look at the top I submitted because all I can see are the wrinkles!

19. Jessica says:

love it with the waistband! itching to try one!

20. Anna says:

ooo, I love it with the band and without, why not make another one? :) love the necklace, I've been meaning to make one forever but haven't gotten to it (just like most things these days).

21. April @ Sewing Novice says:

I also like it with the waistband. It's a cute and stylish shirt!

22. Em says:

Put the waistband on. :-)

23. Mary says:

It looks good without the band, but I REALLY like it with the band. :)

24. Clover says:

Your tops are so current. There are only a few patterns for women out there I have seen that I would even consider buying. Both of yours are awesome. I would buy both patterns.

25. Cinnamon says:

The top looks so comfy, something I'd totally wear. My vote is for the waistband. I think it finishes the shirt nicely.

26. Amy says:

That is a very pretty necklace…goes great with the simplicity of the top. I prefer it with the waistband, but it's not bad without. Good job, chica! :)

27. crafterhours says:

let me just sum up all the comments for you: keep that waistband! (though Anna had a good idea – why not one of each?) this top (and yesterdays!) is fabulous. Been wanting to try that v-neck binding for awhile. You make everything look so easy :)

28. Karen says:

Wow, Rae! That looks fantastic! Will you make one for me?

29. Sarah says:

another for the waistband! Though it really does look nice without it too… it just adds a nice little touch. And I also would love a tutorial for this! it's so cute!

30. luvinthemommyhood says:

Foxy momma!!! You look sooo pretty!!!! Love your hair like that! And the top? I need about 10 of those in all sorts of colors! A staple. I love it with and without so I'm not much help. I think it looks fab either way. The one without the band would look cute with a belt too to dress it up or change the look so that's a perk to that one. You could also make either a bit longer and throw on some leggings! LOVE!!!

31. Lorena O'Neal says:

tough decision but I like it with the waist band. It'll give your hips some nice definition.
    I really like how you did the neckline. Was that just some folded knit?

32. Belinda says:

I like it better with the waist band, but would it be more versatile if you left the waistband off so you could wear it with a belt if you wanted too?
    Depends on how you think you will wear it the most.

33. Beth says:

I like the waistband. Beautiful necklace, too!

34. anne says:

oh, i love this top! i just bought a knit top with a waistband and love it so much i've been trying to figure out how to replicate it. i'm a total newbie at both knits and clothing. can you care your waistband technique?

35. anne says:

ha! i meant share, not care. can you *share* your waistband technique. :)

36. Our Busy Little Bunch says:

LOVE the waistband! Great top!

37. PearlsForMyGirls says:

I love it with the waistband, too!

38. Christie @ A Lemon Squeezy Home says:

Such a great top! I love the waistband, but if you ever belt it, without the waistband would be better:). They both look great!

39. KellyLeaSews says:

I love this one too! I am going to have to go against the majority here and say I like it without the waistband, but both ways it is very cool :)

40. Kim says:

Cute top! I need something like this :) With the waistband is much more flattering I think!

41. Susan says:

Cute top! You did a super job on the neckline and gathers; they look great. And I like it better without the waistband, but that's only cuz I'd never wear a waistband!

42. Cheryl says:

With! Definitely with! Very cute, Rae.

LOVE the top, and would love to see a pattern/tutorial someday (add it to the list, right?). WITH waistband.

You are so pretty, by the way. Bloggers tend to hang out behind the camera, but it's nice to put a face with the words every so often!

44. carol says:

Love the top, I'm gonna draft my own. I would make one with the waistband and one without. I don't like waistbands, because I'm not skinny like you. hahaha I really like the idea of making it longer to wear with skinny jeans and a belt.

45. the shark says:

Really, really cute.

I think if you were only going to wear it with jeans, or form fitting shorts you could leave the band off, but if you are planning on wearing it with skirts, or anything "fuller" you'll like the waistband to give it more shape.

When are you posting the tutorial? :)

46. Emily Elizabeth says:

Oooo, I love this one even more than yesterdays! This would be a top that I actually might sew for myself if there was a pattern available – I'm not talented at winging it when it comes to apparel sewing.
    And I vote "yes" for waistband!

47. fern says:

this is fantastic! looks deliciously soft and comfy! I love the waistband. I have a very similar shirt that has the waistband and I love it! I think it depends on if you want it for comfy dress down, or comfy able to dress up or down!

48. Emily says:

Love this top too! I like it both ways on you. Waistbands like that are a no go on me. ha. You look so pretty in your headshot (or whatever you wanna call it).

49. nopinkhere says:

That is currently my favorite neckline style. I love that it's just one piece of fabric. I may have to try something similar (after working through a giant backlog). It looks better on you with the waistband, but I know I wouldn't make it with one for myself. Why not make another similar one with a waistband and leave this one without?

50. Anonymous says:

What kind of fabric did you make this top? I love it. I vote for the waistband,but then I seldom tuck in any of my shirts!I love this top!Please write a pattern for it!!!!!

51. Three Lads and a Lis says:

Wow – I really love that top! Beautifully done Rae and it looks so comfy yet classy all at the same time. And I am not a jewelry person but I LOVE that necklace as well!!!

52. cateoh says:

I really love this top. I like it with and without the waistband, so think you should make another! As someone who entered a badly ironed top in to spring top week, (and also only noticed post photograph) I thank you for keeping it real!

53. Janica says:

So cute! I would've never thought to cut it from one piece of lovely knit:) And I totally dig the necklace w/it! Way to go.

54. Ruthy says:

Totally with the waistband!

55. Erica @ Acire Adventures says:

I love this top! It looks like something that would be flattering for so many body types!

56. JennaRuth says:

I like the waistband. And check out Making it Lovely- She designed an entire outfit around your shirt!

57. Suzanne says:

I think maybe you should have one each – one with a waistband and another colour without! By the way, I'm going to make myself one of these as soon as I find the right colour. I need more t-shirts that don't accentuate my muffin top.

58. Stacey says:

Another winner! I like it best with the waist band but both are great!

59. Nancy says:

I love this top Rae! I like it without the waistband (I always seem to cheer on the under dog) but to be honest both styles look great. You should make another one so that you have one with a band and one without:)

60. Crystal - crafty ave says:

I really like this top. I thought it looked perfect but then with the waist band it looks even better. It looks so comfy and flowy :)

61. smilingwoman says:

Definitely keep the waistband! It makes is one step above the ordinary… great look!

62. Lee Ann says:

Love this! Cute both ways, but the waistband is def my fav. Very classy.

63. Katie says:

I LOVE this top. Especially with the waistband.

64. grace says:

the top is wonderful. i'd buy those off the reack in a heartbeat. and love the waistband look but totally echo the sentiment of making it a bit longer and wear over leggins or skinny jeans (though the waistband with skinny jeans would be adorable too).

and can i lend another voice to a tutorial on how to do the v neck binding and waistband? you make things look good!

65. Beth- the mama bee says:

I love it. Sounds easy enough. Would like to hear more about the neckline though.

66. neubiewaters says:

Love this top as well…I prefer it with the waistband. Has better shape to it.

67. dana says:

Oh it's gorgeous! And I especially love the band at the bottom. cute design! Um…where's the tutorial?

68. Lise says:

I just love that top. Sadly I would never in a million years be able to figure out how to make it. I do like it even better with the waistband – looks a bit more 'finished'.

69. Nicole, Billy, Timothy and Lyla says:

I love this top! I hope you'll write up a tutorial for it! :)

70. Devin says:

A perfect example of when simple really is best! LOVE the top! That shape is so in right now, and so flattering! If you wrote this into a pattern I would by it in a heartbeat, and round up a serger ( which I don't have but assume you need to work with knits like this.) I've been following your blog for a while now and LOVE it! keep it up!

71. Alala says:

I love this top. I would wear it with or without the band. I want a tutorial of this, pretty please!! I would make one in every color!

72. Steven and MindyLee says:

here here! would love a tute on how to make this cute top!!! totally love it with the waist band. love it love it love it!

73. jenn says:

would LOVE to see a tutorial about this shirt, i NEED to make one but have clue how to do the neckline!

74. kelly says:

love this shirt! and would LOVE a tutorial on it!! :) please?! with a waistband?! please?! :)

75. Jennifer says:

The waistband is perfect… and a tutorial would leave me indebted!

76. Christy, Home-Mom says:

This is pretty much my ideal dressy not so dressy shirt. I LOVE IT, no really I love it and want one in every print and color.

I'll join the census and make one request…
    TUTORIAL Please .) Great job!

77. Liz says:

I would love to see a tutorial for this shirt! It looks so simple and I am new to sewing, this is one of my favorite types of tops and would love to learn it! Great Job! :-)

78. Vicki says:

I love this top. Is there a pattern for it?

79. Lizzie says:

I would love to learn how to make this neckline. Are there any tutorials out there for it? Could you do one (pretty please)?