Clementine got an awesome package in the mail a couple days ago from Karen. Karen is like our fairy godmother, she’s constantly showering my kids with handmade clothing. This time she made the Charlie tunic for Clementine as a dress!!! I’m calling it “Charlize”…does that work or is it totally cheezy? Anyway, I died at the cuteness. And then put it right on her.

Karen has used this lovely fabric combination before (Anna Maria Horner‘s Drawing Room) on her One Girl Circus Talia Tunic, a tunic of similar design which she sometimes sells in her handmade children’s clothing shop. I’ve made other “Charlies” for Clementine as tops and swim coverups before, but this is the first dress variation I’ve seen. I can’t stop looking at it. The colors are just gorgeous and the sewing (french seams!) is impeccable in typical Karen form. The major “girl” changes here include angling the sides out for more of an A-line shape, lengthening the hem, and narrowing the neck facings just a bit. Then of course there are outside facings on the sleeves and bottom. That at least gives you a place to start if you want to make your own. Thank you Karen!!!
photo via Noodlehead, used with permission
And did you see Anna’s Charlie Apple tunic that she made for her daughter over on Noodlehead? So cute! And oh my goodness, just clicked over to get Anna’s link and found that SHE’S just made a Charlie dress too(shown above)! My goodness, so much Charlie-girl-awesomeness lately!!

{And if you’ve made a Charlie (or a variation) please share it in the Rae Made Me Do It photo pool!}

Categories: clothes for girls

19 Responses to Charlie Dress for Clementine

1. Kristy says:

so sweet!!! loving the charlie dresses!

2. JenniferO says:

Very cute! You should check out Noodlehead – http://www.noodle-head.com/ she just posted Charlie dresses made for her daughters.

3. The Cottage Mama says:

SO adorable – love the fabric choices!!

4. Lea-Ann says:

I think this works so much better as a dress than a shirt! Soooo cute!!

5. Meg says:

Super cute! I love how Clementine is busily occupied with a squirt gun while wearing such a lovely outfit. Haha.

6. Emily says:

LOVE the dress version. And, that AMH fabric is my kitchen valance, so I obviously <3 it!

p.s. got my whales this week! they are just as adorable in person! ;)

7. K says:

I had already seen Noodlehead's version and loved it! The hand stitching on the collar is the icing on the cake for me!

8. kpmattingly says:

Very cute! :)

9. Erin says:

So beautiful! Love the fabric combo…

10. AnnaPK says:

Love it! I just finished making my first Charlie tunic for my daughter and it is fantastic! It came out beautifully because your pattern is so awesome!!!! I will definetly be making more, one for my son and now maybe a dress too.

11. Anonymous says:

Super adorable!

Going anonymous since Google won't let me use my sign on w/out creating a blogger account. Boo to them.

12. sew grown says:

Oh my! I love it!!! Karen is the best! I will be purchasing the pattern tonight. I was waiting because the boys refuse to wear anything that is not soft cotton right now but Madeline can always use another dress;) You rock with your mad tallent!

13. Leslie says:

Perfect modifications and they look so great with those fabrics!

14. Anna says:

seriously adorable! oh and you MUST make a women's version, that white combo you made last year was so pretty!

15. feelincrafty says:

This is adorable. And I agree, the fabric combo is fantastic!

16. smallgrapes says:

It is really gorgeous. She is beautiful, too. Love the piggy tails.

17. Patricia says:

The dress is so cut and she is darling. My husband and loved the series of photos where she is crying. Mean-o-mommy ;) The first one we saw quite a while back in the big butt pants we laughed LMBO. Love your blog. Stop by and visit anytime.

18. Jackie says:

Oh so pretty! Love the colours and the contrasting patterns.