Clementine is almost two. This is my favorite age. I love babies but they are so demanding and three is towards the end of the really cute phase (still cute but the baby is pretty much gone by then). At two they’re still chubby and babyish but they have a few words and a sense of humor. This little one has always been a firecracker but she’s totally cracking us up lately. Of course, it’s not so funny when she’s up for at least an hour in the middle of the night wanting to play five out of seven nights of the week. But I know that will stop eventually. I just want to freeze this forever somehow. But also not, you know?

she has hurty teeth.

The dress is the adorable Ice Cream Dress by Oliver+S, which I have been wanting to make for so long now. It’s possibly my favorite Oliver+S pattern. I love the little notches in the neckline and pockets. And that yoke! Adorbs. The bonnet is my pattern, the Peekaboo Sunbonnet, which reverses to a natural linen with cream piping inside. I made a size 2/3 to see how that would fit and as you can see it’s a little too big, but it will fit by the end of summer for sure.

The Ice Cream Dress pattern goes together very nicely; the only hitch for me was that the head-hole wasn’t quite large enough. Finished the whole thing, tried to put it on, and it wouldn’t go over her head. DOH!

I had actually read about this over at the Ice Cream Social Sewalong over at Badskirt last summer (which  is really fun to read through if you think you might want to make this dress). I think I remember one other person having this problem so I don’t think it’s a common one, and it’s also entirely possible that I didn’t sew the neckhole seam allowance wide enough. But. I wasn’t about to pull the whole thing out and do that over again, I am way too stubborn to do something sensible and time-consuming like that. Luckily, I thought of a quicker way to fix the problem (which you can see below). Next time I am going to check this BEFORE the whole thing is finished.

vintage button from Whipstitch, blogged here

I added a slit to the center back by pulling out the seams between the yoke section (yellow flower fabric by Joel Dewberry) and center section (cream dot fabricm, It’s a Hoot by Moda) just in the very middle and cut a slit a couple inches down into the center section. Then I sewed a narrow piece of bias tape to the inside of the slit, flipped it over to the outside and tacked it down and resewed the sections together again. Fixed! And perfect for summer! Can’t wait to get some more pictures of it on her once it warms up a little more and she doesn’t have to wear it with jeans, heh.

Speaking of summer…
I’ve been doing some boy sewing for Elliot lately in anticipation of summer and I’ve decided to post all of my latest boy projects together next week on the blog. Dana’s going to be doing the same! So let’s Celebrate the SUMMER boy next week….SURPRISE!! It’s going to be less involved than the normal CTB series and will last just 5 days, but I’ll have some pattern reviews, a book review, a giveaway, and maybe a tutorial? It’ll be a nice mini-version of Celebrate the Boy, summer-style.

Sound like fun? Feel free to take a button for your blog sidebar or posts, and post your summer boy projects to the Celebrate the BOY Flickr Pool so we can see what you’re up to. We’ll feature some of our favorites as usual as part of the celebration. The fun starts Monday!

Categories: bonnet, clothes for girls, patterns

27 Responses to Ice Cream Dress and Peekaboo Bonnet for Clementine

1. Beth says:

I love the fabrics together. I wish I could match fabrics so nicely. :)

Nice save with the buttoned up front. I hope Miss C gets to wear it for most of the summer.

2. leahinlondon says:

Curse you! I've literally just splurged on a bunch of Oliver+S patterns after dithering for ages over which to get, and now I want this one too. But [perks up] maybe for DD2 next summer rather than DD1 this…

3. Chris says:

I love the change, Rae. The one issue I've had with this pattern is the junction between the yoke and middle section at the button hole. This would eliminate the problem. I may have to go back and add a longer button hole.

4. Clover says:

cute as always. I am excited about the boys week. I think I will hold off making anything more for my son (except his charlie of course) until I see what others have done. Cause I am real original like that.:-)

5. Marisa says:

Love this dress! So cute! I have to make one. And, I love it with the jeans underneath … so adorable! Nice job!

6. Liz @ LivingMySweetLife says:

Yay!! I'm excited about the mini boy series!

7. Emily says:

What a darling outfit! I'm sure that pattern wouldn't fit over my daughter's 90th percentile head. :) I will keep your little slit/bias tape trick in mind. Great fabrics too!!

8. Jessica says:

I just cut out the fabric to make this dress today. Yours came out so cute!

9. AlewivesGirl says:

That's so cute! The Ice Cream Dress is my favorite O+S pattern, too. I bet that'll fit your baby girl for a long, long time.

XO,

Rhea

10. Dana says:

woot! can't wait for Celebrate the Boy Summer edition. :)

11. Jenny says:

It looks so cute on her! I just made my first ice cream dress for Abby and I too loved how it went together. I have my post scheduled for Wed. Ha ha! Just so you know I'm not copying you! Hers ended up being too short (she's so lanky), so I narrowed the bottom band and made it more of a tunic.

12. bethanndodd says:

Wish I had a little girl to make that dress for…adorable! Looking forward to next week though (I have 3 little guys!) Hope you have fun weekend!

very cute ice cream dress (and bonnet), and great idea to enlarge the head hole. i had the same trouble with my daughter's big noggin, but i just pull a little harder until it goes on!

i'm excited about mini boy week, too! fun!

14. mrsc1345 says:

Super cute! I have made this dress tons of times, and if I don't sew the neckline with a extra big seam allowance I can never get it over my daughters head either…But I love your idea to extend the slit!

15. Erin says:

Adorable dress- the fabrics are perfection! And, yipee for more BOY! :)

16. Sewing-Chick says:

Aw, I love two year olds too :) Mine's two, and I agree that this age is awesome! Beautiful dress and bonnet by the way :)

17. feelincrafty says:

Very cute dress! But I have to say I'm more excited about the mini boy's week!! I had posts already scheduled for next week, but I might have to play along with you instead…. hmmmm… big decisions! :)

18. Amber H. says:

Big noggin means a smart baby! And what a great fix.. I've got this pattern as well, and I haven't used it yet! I need the smaller pattern for my 3 year old because I can't make her sister a dress or shirt and not make her one too!

(My oldest is five, and I have the larger pattern to make something that would fit her and even me with some alterations.. sigh)

19. April @ Sewing Novice says:

I agree with loving this age! My daughter turned two yesterday and she is still so sweet and cuddly, yet she is silly and can tell us what she wants. Enjoy it while it lasts, right?

20. Darcy says:

I love the dress and have been wanting to try that pattern, thanks for the inspiration. But thanks even more for saying that Miss C is up in the middle of the night because I was thinking my 21-month old was the only one up all night lately and it has been making me oh so sad and *tired*. It actually makes me feel better to know we're not the only ones up!

21. angie says:

Love the fabric you chose! I've got the pattern to make for my 10yo daughter. Of course I haven't gotten around to it, just finished the Molly Peasant dress from sis boom (super easy fun pattern btw). I'm excited to check out the sew along, didn't know about that one.

22. Elisabet says:

What a great dress, love the fabric. I have been thinking about getting that book i and think after seeing this cute dress i might have to.
    cheer

23. Melanie says:

I was just tin king about this ice cream dress issue. I made some 6-12 month sized tops a few months back that stinll have plenty of room and length because it's such a roomy pattern, but it's getting a little tough to pull over her head. And you know how babies hate that. But I don't actually want to make the neck wider because she sometimes needs a once underneath and the neckline is alread quite wide. I like your solution and may have to steal that for my next one. It is my favorite pattern, though I suspect once I try the picnic blouse it may have some competition!

24. Karen says:

Cannot wait to see what you have in store for us this week!

25. Maria says:

This is beautiful. I love your fabric choices, will you share where you found the fabrics? I especially love the floral!
    I can't wait for boy week…I have 2 boys, what a wonderful idea!

26. Rae says:

Hi Maria!

The fabrics were procured from the Sew Mama Sew online shop. So glad you like them!

27. Lindsay Conner says:

This ensemble is so gorgeous…. just love it, and have linked to your post at http://www.craftbuds.com/fresh-picks-for-wednesday-6-15-11/