You didn’t think I would stop at just two pairs, did you? Silly you. Once I find something that works, I just keep going (did you miss the other two? Click to see the Retro Radio Board Shorts and Green Medal Board Shorts).
Fabric: Caroline Gavin’s Cheerful Raindrops from Alewives. I have to say this fabric is absolutely lovely. While it’s a little lighter-weight for shorts, I don’t mind the airier fit and can’t believe how soft this cotton is. Considering how beefy most of the other quilting cottons have become lately (making them not-so-great for children’s clothing), I really need to make some shirts and dresses out of this stuff!

The pattern here again is the Board Shorts pattern by Patterns by Figgy’s. Here’s a little trick I found saved a bit of time. The shorts have three pattern pieces, front, back and the pocket. I cut two pocket pattern pieces (instead of just one) and sewed each one to the front and back pattern pieces using the 5/8″ seam allowance. If you use Swedish Tracing Paper, this works really well because the pattern pieces are really strong.
Then I cut out the pattern pieces with the pockets attached as shown. Then just constructed the shorts as before but omitted the “attach pockets” steps. So easy!

These shorts got paired with another retrofied Tee for Two (took some pictures this time around, maybe a tutorial on how to “retrofy?” We’ll see).
That makes THREE pairs of Board Shorts and THREE new summer outfits for the boy!

What’s your go-to, repeat-over-and-over pattern for summer clothes this year?

This post is part of the Celebrate the SUMMER Boy series!
You can go here to see all of the posts from Made by Rae in one place, and here to see all of Dana’s posts.
Categories: CELEBRATE THE BOY 2011

17 Responses to Raindrop Board Shorts

1. ren says:

this is the BEST idea i've read for the pockets!

2. Emily says:

Love these and the shirt!! What a great idea with the pockets!!!!!

3. Erin says:

too. stinking. cute. (oh, the shorts ain't too bad either!) :)

4. Jessica says:

I love all the fabrics you chose, I can't pick a favorite. Ok, just lying I think my favorite is the radios. Now I want to make more shorts for my boy :)

5. Very Crafty Mama says:

that is a great idea for pockets!! what pattern did you use for that tshirt?

6. Kricket says:

his facial expression in the first picture looks EXACTLY like mr. rae.

7. Rae says:

Very crafty mama: The tee pattern is the Tee For Two; I added the strips of jersey to the sleeves and the pocket (those aren't part of the pattern).

8. Erin says:

Oh my gosh, look how smart you are with the pockets!!!

9. oversewn says:

Uh oh…she's gone from "radii" to "retrofy"….. I'm a little worried Rae… :)

10. OneGirlCircus says:

Oh Rae – I cannot tell you how excited I am to see these THREE fabulous outfits. I just know E loves them all. I would really love to learn how to do your pocket….interested in a guest post?

11. Jo @ a life in lists says:

My go-to pattern of last year was the Huck Finn shorts in Weekiend sewing, but this year I'm feeling the love for the Oliver + S sailboat pants. Although those board shorts are pretty darn cool…

12. Sascha says:

OMG Rae, He is getting so big. It seems like just yesterday I discovered your blog (which was when you just showed us your ultrasound pic of C). Seeing E get so big makes me feel old ;)

13. Carovarium says:

fantastik! i think even i can do this :) my pocket usually turn so bad :D

14. Alia Dalwai says:

Wat a lovely tutorial! U made it look soooo easy! Thanx!

P.S: Ur young man looks like Owen Wilson :p

Im your follower from http://aliascreativelife.blogspot.com/

15. Jes says:

Love the outfits! When he outgrows them, want to send them to me??? My go-to pattern is Big Butt Baby Pants, of course! Hoping that we'll be potty trained by next summer so he can wear again then…

16. Lindsay says:

Wow! You've been busy. You must manage your time so efficiently. I love the board shorts. Kinda reminds me of the "jams" shorts of the 80s. :o )

I also love the retrofied shirts. The contrasting color adds so much!

17. abby says:

love this! where do you find such cute fabric for boys? my joann’s and hancocks have nada for cute boy fabric.

thanks!