There is a reason that we bloggers tend to blather on about new websites. They either took a great deal of time or a great deal of money to put together, so we want to make sure that EVERYONE. KNOWS. ABOUT. IT. There is a desperate hope that at the very least, loyal readers will leave the safety and comfort of their Blog Readers just once to come over and take a look and give us a big chubby pat on the back for all that effort.

I’ve seen people who hit the ground running with zero readers and a fancy website, all ready to go. This blog started out in such a humble way it never even crossed my mind to use anything other than Blogger. It seemed the thing to do, to join in on the sewing groundswell. Blogger is fantastic for basic blogging, but then I wanted three columns. And then I wanted side pages. And then I wanted a nav bar across the top. I found myself hacking the code *snorts rootbeer out nose at how tech-snobbish that sounds* more times than I wanted to. Which wasn’t so much “hacking” as it was whining at Mr Rae for help with basic HTML (me: “Babe, how do I do the HTML for a link again?” Mr Rae: *pounding head against wall*). The point is, this site needed a major upgrade. And if our marriage was going to survive, that would require outside help. I won’t go through the gory details of the process, because the embarrassing fact is that I began this new-website-project nearly a year ago and it didn’t go exactly as I’d planned and really wasn’t very fun. The important thing is, it’s finished now. More or less.

So now I’ll stop blathering on and show you a few of the things I like best, so maybe you’ll come on over and say you like it. One of my favorite things about the new layout is that the patterns and tutorials have their own pages now (def: “pattern” – something you print out a template for, def: “tutorial”-  a set of instructions and/or pictures to help you make something) on their own pages. Here’s the pattern page:

And here’s a peek at the tutorial page:

All of the photo pools for my site or patterns are finally (!) all in one place. You can find them by clicking on the “your photos” link at the top of the page.

There’s more cool stuff, but I’ll save the rest of the “tour” for later I guess because yikes it’s late and I need to go to bed. In addition to looking downright foxy, I am really hoping the new website gizmos will be useful to those of you who have spent time looking for things like tutorials or photo pools and found the old site lacking. I’m still hoping to condense the post labels a little bit, but does anyone even use those anymore? And there’s a cool scrolly thing at the bottom of the page that needs a few more pictures in it, so I’ll fill that up with fun things to click on. Maybe if you think of other things you would use or appreciate, you could drop me a line and let me know. There’s a “contact” link at the top of the page now so you can do that with ease. Yaaaay! Major excitement over here, my friends. Major excitement.

PS. I know it’s redonkulous and crazy to do a new website launch right after we just moved to a new house. What can I say? My website got jealous and wanted to move too.

Categories: Uncategorized

50 Responses to New WEBSITE, y’all!

1. Kristin says:

A new website is such a big undertaking. Yours looks awesome! Congratulations!

2. Christie says:

Wow Rae! It looks so great! I’m loving it!

3. byrney says:

Love your new blog :)
    I can’t get blog reader to work so i’ll see the real thing everyday when I call in to check for posts :)

4. Wow! Great job on the new site. I’m working on a new one too, but it really takes a lot of work and since my boyfriend has a “real” job he says he can’t do all the work for my site :( So it will take a while… a long while till I have my new site!

5. Erin says:

Love, Love, Love it! Nice job :)

6. Patti S says:

I’ve been away most the summer and haven’t commented much lately but I just wanted you to know I think it looks fantastic! Everything’s easy to find. Love the your photos page and how you have your archives and such at the bottom…oh, and the cool scrolly thing is great too!

7. Laurie G. says:

Like!

8. Jolene says:

Rae! Love the new site! I dream of the day when/IF my tiny little blog ever gets more than 2 readers, forget needing it’s very own site. :) Seriously though, very cool design, looks very clean and tidy and I love looking at it!

9. Lindsay says:

I LOVE IT!! I’ve been reading your blog faithfully since the last “celebrate the boy” and am totally hooked on all of your projects (and yes, this will eventually turn into some pattern purchases…it’s not fair for you to do all these great tutorials for free…and well, the patterns are great!). Thanks and congrats on the new site. Much “cleaner” looking.

10. Jenn-O says:

Looks great! BTW, I just bought One Yard Wonders and noticed you have a couple patterns in there! So, cool!

11. Vanessa OBetz says:

It looks amazing! I love how it is organized and so pretty!

I can’t seem to find the newborn big butt baby pants pattern though. I keep clicking the link, but then I get a 404 error (page cannot be found). Am I doing something wrong? Did you decide to make the newborn size paid for with the other sizes?

12. Heather says:

Pretty! Love the clean look!

13. SallyC says:

The new site looks great! I am wondering where the ‘home’ button is, though. If I go to the patterns section (btw, nice they can be purchased here), how do I get back to the blog area? Sending you good thoughts for getting settled in to your new home both in the real world and here. Your energy amazes me!

14. Anette says:

It looks great! :D

But just want to inform you that the links on the “tutorial” page doesn’t work… When I click the pictures, I just get “404! This page does not excist”… Just so you know :)

15. Kristen says:

I love it! :) It looks very clean and organized. And I don’t use a blog reader, so I’ll have a look around. Congrats on getting it all up and running!

16. Martha says:

Love the new site! Yes, I do still use labels, but more so when I find a new site to quickly get a feel for what kind of stuff the owner makes. Congrats on the new house and new site. I can’t believe you managed it all and still sound sane in your posts.

17. Rae says:

Thanks everyone! And yes, a few of you have noticed glitches (404! messages) on many of the pages that used to work. I’m on it! Thanks for letting me know!!!

18. Jill says:

ooh – I love it! Congrats on the new digs.

19. It looks wonderful!!! I really like the layout and the colors :)

20. Jenn says:

Love the new look! Personally, I can’t get enough of hyper-organized layouts with clear font and pretty pictures *waves crazy Kermit arms*.

21. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoooeeeeeeeeeeeeee! feels good doesn’t it?

22. Paige says:

Looks great! Kudos!!! And thanks for sharing all of your creativity!!!

23. kelly harp says:

love the site, rae! good work!!

24. Janica says:

Eeek! THis looks AWESOME Rae!!! Way to go. I am so excited for you:) Love it!

25. Daniela says:

I LOOOOOVE your new website. It’s and easier way to find the tutorials and patterns I need. Congratulations!!!

26. Dacia says:

Wow! Look at you! This is amazing and boy do I know how hard it would be to do this. I tired and gave up. :) Congrats!

27. Kelsey says:

The new site looks marvelous! Congrats on the new house and new site!

28. Jessica P. says:

LOVE IT. Thank you for all you share and for making the site even better. I’m a fan.

29. Patti says:

Love it! Gonna go and nose around right now!

30. Jenny Fretz says:

It is beautiful! I am so happy for you and it looks like it will be nicer for us too! Thanks for all of the time and hard work that you put into your blog. I look forward to your new posts. Especially in the winter- sometimes it is hard seeing all of those warm weather bloggers while living over here in Wisconsin! Congratualtions!

31. Miranda says:

It looks great! I love that you have maintained your fresh, colourful look. It’s also very easy to navigate. Nicely done!

32. Lisa says:

Nice! Totally jealous!

33. Erin says:

The site looks FABULOUS! Great job. :)

34. Meg says:

Wow! Rae- It looks great!

35. Chris says:

Wow, Rae. The new duds are super fancy. Enjoy the new space, it looks wonderful.

love the new site, rae! it looks great and oh so organized! congratulations.

37. Susie says:

Looks great, Rae – well done!

38. Katie says:

It’s super cute! Congratulations!

39. kris says:

AMAZING!!!!! it looks beautiful!! I will follow you anywhere :)

40. Emily says:

It looks FABULOUS!! I want to move my blog but now I’m really scared. haha.

41. Emmmylizzzy says:

Awesome awesome awesome site! And what a fantastic guy that Mr. Rae is!

42. Cinnamon says:

It looks great! Fantastic job Rae.

43. Sara says:

Love love the design of your new site, awesome undertaking! Thanks!

44. I love it!! What a wonderful new site – its so fresh and fun – and still so clean and easy to navigate!! Yup….LOVE IT!!

45. Michelle says:

The new website looks great!!!!!

46. Rebeca says:

Rae congrats! The site is great! Loyal reader present! :)

47. Selena says:

I love the new easy to find Readers Pics section – awesome to have all the additional insperation I need in one easy to find place! I will hopefully be providing some pics of my own soon – I’ve made a start on a buttercup bag as a gift for my best friend. Only the outer skin sewn so far as am waiting on an order of magnetic catches to add to the lining, but already has me amazed that I’m able to sew something so nice – it already looks like a bag!

48. Karen says:

This new site is even more drool-worthy than your other one! FINALLY you have released her out into the wild land of internetz.

Welcome to WordPress, lady!

49. Yah it’s seriously awesome! I felt terrible I haven’t visited in so long but WOW. It’s so neat and clean and just pretty! One of my friends is hounding me to move from blogger to a different platform but I’m not ready yet. Yes the limitations on blogger frustrate me but I am familiar with it you know? I’m too scared to take the plunge!