I made a skirt for me!!!

Like most of my selfish-sewing projects, it was supposed to be an utterly simple quick sew (I mean, it’s basically two pieces of fabric wrapped around my body), but inevitably as the process unfolded it became a little more complicated than it was supposed to. I didn’t want any elastic in the waistband so I had to put in a zipper — which normally is not that difficult for me — but the first zipper that I used was too short and the resulting skirt did not actually fit over my hips. Oops! *insert un-sewing and swearing*

As you can see though I eventually managed to muddle through and produce something that fits.

Ever since I purchased this fabric I’ve had plans for a skirt, but this piece of fabric actually doubled as a curtain for a short period of time in our old house. This lovely print is from the Good Folks line by Anna Maria Horner (who by the way I will get to meet this fall at Heather Ross’ Weekend Sewing workshop in NY. EXCITED!!! GEEKED!!!). I think Good Folks is probably my favorite AMH fabric collection and recently I have been stashbusting it so I can enjoy it instead of letting it age on the shelf.

The original plan for this skirt was to have no side seams at all, just have the skirt and waistband wrap all the way around to the back so I could do less cutting, but I had to the add side seams to the waistband to account for differences between my high waist and low waist measurements (so the waistband is a little smaller on top than at the bottom).

And see, I have shoes to match!! Hee. I will admit though I would probably never wear this whole outfit out of the house. Would you?? I like it for blog photos, but this is a little too crazy even for me. Most likely this skirt will appear in public with a more neutral (grey, off-white) top. But the beads will stay as I loves them muchly.

The only thing that would make this skirt even better is pockets. Guess I will just have to make another one!

Categories: for Rae

46 Responses to Summer skirt for ME!

1. I love it, Rae! The un-sewing and swearing totally paid off. :) And you should totally wear this outfit out in public. Maybe it’s out of the box for you, but it’s definitely not crazy! Super cute.

2. Laurie says:

You totally can pull off that look, especially with the matching shoes.
    DO IT!!! :-)

3. Karen says:

FREAKING FABULOUS! It looks so beautiful on you – and you can always wear it to a crafty get-together if you feel like the blue and brights are too much, but I think it’s perfect!

4. Belinda says:

Way cute skirt & you can totally pull off the look :)
    Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Charlotte says:

You should definitely wear that outfit for real! The colors look great!

6. k a t y says:

s’lovely! and if perfect can be even perfect-er, then pockets would do the trick ;)

7. Katie says:

It’s super cute! And I agree with everyone else – this outfit is the opposite of crazy – it’s totally wearable.

8. Amanda says:

Yes, wear it! Before I read your disclaimer I was actually thinking, I wish I could come up with such cute color combinations… I love it! Super flattering, too.

9. Rachel says:

you look great !!!

10. Nikki says:

Love it! Good folks is one of my favorite AMH collections too. I have a bundle stashed away for a quilt.

11. nicke says:

i am totally in love with that skirt. next time i am at my lqs, i am getting me some of that fabric!

12. liza jane says:

Love it! I would definitely wear the whole outfit out and about. The shoes make it.

13. Beth says:

That skirt is too cute (and you are adorable!). Smiles~Beth

14. Jill says:

That is really lovely – and the outfit on the whole is definitely not too crazy to wear out. I like it!

15. Jessica B says:

Doesn’t it always seem that projects turn out a little more complicated than originally planned? I love the skirt!

16. Totally wearable! Is that a voile or QC?

dxx

17. Gwen says:

That skirt looks fantastic, love it! And I agree with the previous comments, you could totally pull off that look, it goes great together :)

18. Lisa says:

I too get stuck with neutral colors on top, but that colorful combo is awesome! Wear it!

19. Ali says:

Rae, you have GOT to wear that outfit, it’s totally fab and not way out at all. PLEASE, it looks really great. Love the necklace too.

20. Wendy says:

The outfit is way cute! You should totally wear it out! It is very stylish nowadays to not be matchy matchy!!! It is so cute, and totally inspiring!!

21. Jamie says:

Love it! I would wear it out just like that too.

22. sherry says:

I am in the middle of my own skirt project that has not turned out quite what I had hoped for. I cannot make anything without a pattern but I decided to give it a go anyway. Like your skirt, mine was high waisted but just had a couple of pleats at the front and back. And like you, I had a little trouble with the zip, I have already unpicked it once. When I thought I had finished, it was a little too big around the waist so I have to try to alter it (something I am not good at, at all) but seeing your finished skirt has inspired me enough to finish mine. I will post it on my blog when I finish and you can let me know what you think.

23. This is fantastic!!! I need to make something like this for myself. :)

24. Kelly R says:

You look beautiful! You should totally have a garden party!

25. Raven says:

Rae! It’s awesome! And Happy Belated Bday to Ms. Clementine!!
    This morning I realized I never signed up for the new site!! I “missed” you! haha! All good now!
    I find that funny and a little weird…….anywhooo – you will have so so so much fun with AMH!! I just signed up for Palm Springs in Jan. again!! I was so excited after getting my confirmation…I went and sewed up a dress(I’ll post it someday….) :)
    The weekends should be more like a week – dontcha think!!
    xoxo

26. Megan says:

NOT CRAZY! Super cute and stylish, maybe out of your box in terms of clothing. But give it a shot. It looks great on you!

27. Susan says:

YES you can wear this out of the house and YES, I would! It is fabulous. Wear it!

28. Hilda says:

Totally wear the whole outfit out!! It looks fabulous!

29. Vicky says:

Of course you can wear it in public. It’s totally wearable!!!

30. Cora says:

The whole ensemble looks great, and the skirt is beautiful. I would definitely wear it outside the house, way too funky/hip/cool to stay inside :) It looks beautiful on you! Very summery too.

31. louise says:

Adorable! And congrats for making something for you. I NEVER make anything for me.I will buy fabric and a pattern every now and then for me, but it never happens. It seems to always be about gifts and the kiddo. Impressed.

32. Kristin says:

You absolutely could (AND SHOULD) wear that whole outfit out of the house! That is the type of outfit that I would stop you on the street and tell you how much I love it. Regardless of whether you do or not, it looks beautiful, great job!

33. Good Folks is my favorite collection EVER so of course I’m adoring your skirt. I love it with that necklace. Wear much!

34. Erin says:

Great skirt! The outfit is adorable and perfectly suited to wear out of the house.

35. Ruth says:

I love the skirt – and you should definitely waer that outfit all together out of the house! I would!

36. Vanessa says:

That whole outfit is GORgeous! You have to wear it, just like that.

37. Rhea says:

Hey friend! That is my favorite print from the collection in my favorite color. Great minds, great minds… Love the skirt. Wear it with pride, you look good in it!

XO,

Rhea

38. Teri says:

First, I love the fabric for the skirt – very vibrant. The skirt itself – good thinking on eliminating the elastic because the wide waistband makes the skirt bold and sassy yet vintage. Second, that necklace is fab. And lastly, I admire the bold color combination with the blue top and blue shoes – reminds me of springtime. Overall, super job!

39. Chancy says:

I love this outfit! My first thought was : So fashionable!

40. Leslie says:

See now, sometimes I wish we were still roommates and this skirt could travel from your closet to mine! :) Absolutely DARLING!

41. Erin says:

I freaking love the outfit! You look great in it and can definitely pull off that look! The whole outfit goes so well together! The orange and blue look great together!

42. jen says:

love that skirt!

43. amylee says:

i love this outfit…curious about your necklace – where is that from!?!

44. Love it! YOu love look lovely and pretty! I heart that fabric line too and hellooooooo, how jealous am I about you getting to go to that weekend! Can I come in your suitcase? Sometimes it just sucks to live all the way in Canada :(

45. Nicola says:

I LOVE this skirt! The colours are amazing on you (and am a bit comforted that you can make mistakes with zips too :-) ).
    I’ve just finished your BBB trousers for my little girl and blogged about them – http://wp.me/p12ss1-v – hope you don’t mind. I’m new to blogging so if I’ve done something wrong please let me know!