At the very first SE Crafter’s Meetup ever last November, Emily brought some extra knit fabric along for me to take home (woot!). One of the knits was this amazing border knit that she had found for a bargain somewhere (and now I’m forgetting again Emily, was it Hancocks?). I loved this little garden of flowers along the border, especially these snails…

I knew with such a detailed print that I needed a very simple pattern to show it off. I’ve made quite a few skinny tees for the kids lately just based on their measurements, so I just added a skirt to Clementine’s tee pattern to make the dress. Same idea as adding a skirt to a baby one-sie, really very simple. And I’m so happy with the result!

And how many of us played with this same Fisher Price train, I’d like to know? Ours is still holding up well, 30+ years after it was first given to me when I was her age. Love this thing!

Categories: clothes for girls, knits

39 Responses to Flower Garden Dress

1. Emmmylizzzy says:

I just knew that you’d come up with something amazing out of that fabric! My piece is still sitting around here waiting to be turned into something like this :) And yes, I found this fabric in the sale section at Hancocks (over a year ago) – I think it ended up being only $3/yard!

2. Brenda says:

Are those clouds drinking the ground with a straw?? Trippy!

I love it! Especially with Clementine’s little scrunchy face!

3. Vivian says:

She suddenly looks so old! I’ve been reading your blog for a while, and I still remember her screaming in the grass in her Baby Sunsuit. The dress is super cute.

And I remember that train! Wish I had one for my kids!

4. Beth says:

That dress is so flippin’ cute! Of course, the model is prett darn cute too ;) And, yes, I played with a train like when I was young too…memories! Smiles~Beth

5. Jessica says:

That dress is perfection. I feel like the print is straight out of an old school house rock video or something. And I totally had that train. Now my kids play with it at nana’s.

6. Beth says:

Love this! The print and pattern work perfectly together.

7. Beth D. says:

Love! The cut is perfect for this pattern. Great job, as always.
    I believe I might date myself to say that my little sister had this train!

8. Do you sell the shirt pattern? I have some knit myself and I’d love to sew this dress, but I need a starting point!

9. Lise says:

Gorgeous! What great fabric; you showed it off to perfection.

10. Jenny says:

Oh, it is possible this is my favorite thing you’ve made.

11. karen says:

It’s adorable, Rae! I just love that girlie.

12. Ally Y says:

I love the fabric and the idea of adding a skirt to a tee, CUTE!

13. MBMeadows says:

Love this print! Such a cute dress to show it off. Brenda you are right! I saw the straws too!

14. Sascha says:

Love that fabric! Cute dress.

I have the train too, but my mom never kept any of my cool toys from childhood so I’ve been busy on Ebay for the past few years. I have managed to collect all the Fisher Price from my childhood. The train and the parking garage are Rocco’s favorite and actually get played with a lot.

15. Katie says:

Oh, it turned out so darn CUTE. I love the print itself, and of course Clementine is the perfect little model. Such a cutie.

16. Wendy says:

I love it! The colors/illustration have a great 70′s feel!

My husband just brought that exact train home from his mom’s yesterday for our son to play with(sadly, just the engine–maybe the two other cars will show up soon). Yours looks like it’s in much better condition than ours, though–awesome!

17. Ooty says:

la la love this dress :)

18. By Night says:

I love the vintage look of the knit fabric! The dress is adorable and your pictures beautiful!

19. Erin says:

i had a train like that too! choo choo

20. Emily W. says:

our church babysit still has this train!!! and I think my Oma does as well. :)

21. Ana says:

What a great dress! I’m a sucker for new clothes that have a vintage feel. BTW I’m terrified of working with knits. I tried recently to great failure. Any good knit patterns for beginners?

22. amanda says:

Oh my goodness, your little Clementine is growing up so fast! She looks more like a little girl all of a sudden, not so much of a baby anymore. LOVE the dress – if anyone comes across it in Hancock’s, I’m all ears! Btw Ana – the Tee for Two by Figgy’s is a great knits pattern for beginners. I shy away from knits, too & I don’t have a serger, but that pattern is fantastic and totally non-threatening.

23. Karen says:

A children’s book must now be written in which the main character is wearing THAT dress!

24. So adorable! I had that train and miss it! Wish I had one for the kiddos…it was super fun! We have the farm though :)

25. Tiphaine says:

Rae, where is your baby girl ???????? aaarrrrggg, she’s soooooo big !!!!!! I love that dress !

26. liza jane says:

She is too cute! I love that border print. I remember seeing that at the fabric store.

27. DivaMomCarol says:

Dear Rae:
    I was just thinking about pull-toys the other day. We were walking down a City Street in Nanjing China and an older man was pulling a flattened paint can by a long string, like a pull toy. It was comically sweet and clanked along the street. We could hear him for quite awhile because of the racket and I asked myself if “kids today” still enjoyed pull toys. There was my answer in your photo of Clementine! Thanks for the reassurance that you give us each time you blog about the precious-ness of youth! ~ CAROL in CHINA

28. Patty says:

I absolutely love that print!! Beautiful dress and even more beautiful little girl!

29. Julie says:

My kids play with the same train set and my husbands parents house. They love it and very sturdy(read my kids haven’t broke it yet).
    Love the dress and the little girl is very cute too!:)

30. Mandy says:

Rae, that print is so lovely. I gasped when I saw the dress. it reminds me so much of a book I had when I was little called “Just Around the Corner.” I went home, dug it out of a box, and read some of the poems to my kids last night becuase I couldn’t get it out of my head.

31. Susan says:

Oh dear! She’s growing up too fast! Stop the clock!

Love the train too. Wish I’d saved more of the toys I had growing up (or known enough at the time to tell my parents to not GIVE them away)! I’m saving some of my own kids’ toys now for their kids (like the Brio train set – love love love it).

32. Abbey says:

What a gorgeous little dress! Your daughter is so cute too! I love your blog and all of your great sewing ideas!

33. Abbey says:

do you sell the tee pattern? I didnt see it!

34. Kelly says:

Oh that is sooooo cute!! And I agree, she is looking so grown up…it’s amazing how they seem to do that overnight!

35. June says:

Love the fabric and love the dress even more! I am so envious of the fabric find, I wish I had that kind of luck! :)