I made a video about my walking foot! I’m telling you, it’s superduper hard to make a good video, but I tried it anyway, JUST FOR YOU. I can’t watch this one without cringing a little, so please don’t judge. First I had to fight the overwhelming urge to use the word “UM” repeatedly (but, I lost that one). It’s also something of a miracle I managed to talk in more than one continuous run-on sentence of sound. And then finally, is that really what I sound like? GAH.

I figured some of you probably had no idea what a walking foot was, and there’s been alot of talk about it lately here with all of the knit posts (particularly in this post about hemming knits). It turns out that a walking foot is also really great for quilting (or any sewing where you need less presser foot pressure) as it helps prevent the multiple layers from sliding around, but it’s also nice to have when you’re sewing knits.

OK, nuf talk, here’s the video:

And a direct link, just in case you’re not seeing that on your screen: http://vimeo.com/36641514

knits

{This post is part of a series of posts about sewing with knits designed to empower you to go sew some knits! See more right here}

Categories: knits

31 Responses to What is a walking foot? (with a video!!!)

1. Robyn says:

Must get a walking foot…

Thanks for the demo Rae!

2. bekah says:

Thanks for the GREAT video. I’ve never used a walking foot, so that was helpful. Where did you get your walking foot? I also have a Bernina 220. I thought it was fun to hear your voice, too. I always wonder what people sound like. I feel like I “know” them, after visiting their blogs all the time, and getting a sense of voice from their posts.

Thanks.

3. Mary Ann B says:

I love my walking foot. I find it very useful when sewing LONG strips of fabric, anything cut on the bias (as with knit fabrics, eliminates the stretch), binding and of course straight line machine quilting. I also use it when sewing bags/pouches as there is usually several layers of batting/fabric/lining to sew thru. Thank you for the video, and yes, it was fun to hear you!

4. Grandma G says:

Great job on the video, Rae! (You’re too hard on yourself. ;) ) I’d been planning to do a post on the walking foot soon… will be linking to your video (with proper credit, of course) when I do it. Thanks!

5. Dagny says:

I feel the same way about hearing my voice on tape. I waver between feeling like I’m listening to my mom and being horrified that my voice could sound like that. That’s why I try never to speak while I record videos of my kids; my husband thinks I’m crazy.

6. Toni says:

Everything you say about making videos is so true!
    I got a few new presser feet for Christmas and made videos on my blog to show how they work a few weeks ago. Feels like every other word is “So…ummm…”, and then random toddler chatter in the background! lol,
    You did a great job though, and truly don’t sound “weird” in real life ; )

7. Jen says:

This was so awesome! I just bought a new sewing machine that came with a walking foot and have never used one before! Now I will definitely try!

8. Erin says:

Wow! I can’t believe the difference! I’ve got my grandmother’s old sewing machine but I know that I can still get parts for it – I’m going to check for a walking foot – I think this will help a lot with mending knits.Thanks!

9. Fern says:

I love it! Walking foots! :-) Thanks for brightening my day! :-)

10. romney says:

Nice video. If it weren’t for blogs I wouldn’t have known about walking feet and be learning to use one right now. I just leave it on the machine all the time now.

By the way, in radio they have sound engineers come in to “de-umm” recordings. There is no shortage of umms to de-umm, even amongst professional broadcasters!

11. bdaiss says:

Excellent video! And your voice sounds just like I thought it would – sweet like you. (Hey, Valentine’s Day is tomorrow – might was well get your share of compliments early!) : ) Isn’t it strange just how different we sound IRL compared to in our head?

Now, I just might need to dig that dang walking foot out of the box I tossed it in…if I can find the box!

12. Cherie says:

That was great! Thanks!!

13. sam says:

Thank you! This series convinced me to give knits a serious try! I’ve made two 90 minute shirts for the babe and a j crew knock off for me! Still have some eaten fabric but we’re getting there! I’ll be sure to give the walking foot a try next. This series has been awesome!

14. Max says:

YOU ARE SO CUTE RAE <3

15. lydia purple says:

great video! would’ve never notice the UMs if hadn’t told us!
    love your knit series and your style in general. been silently following for a while now! always great colors and fun patterns.

16. Lisa says:

Thanks, because I had no idea. I will have to see if I can find one for my Viking.

17. Sascha says:

I loooove your voice! Ok, that sounds slightly stalker-ish. I have yet to venture into videos on my blog because when I hear my voice on an answering machine I want to curl into a ball and hide in a closet with a bag of cookies. Maybe I need a special Darth Vader sound dubbing. That would really freak everyone out. Something to Google tonight.

18. Rose says:

I think this was a wonderful tutorial. I didn’t know what a walking foot was so this was a great help. Of course I try to avoid sewing as I am convinced my machine hates me. I know then why am I at a sewing blog. Well I try to avoid it but I’m always trying to learn as I would really like to someday at least be able to do something besides just a hem.
    Anyway thanks again.
    Rose
    PS. Anyone know how to bribe a sewing machine into being nice? :D

19. April says:

When I try to use a Zig Zag stitch with my walking foot, the little “arm” falls off of the thing that tightens my needle when the needle moves to the left. Do you have any ways around this?

20. Meg says:

I admit I watched the video just to hear what you sound like. Totally cracked up at “walking foots”! ;0p

21. Aw, I loved it! Thank you! I’ve been contemplating getting one with all of these kniterviews and now I think I can see the difference pretty clearly! Thanks!

so i had this post starred to watch and just got around to it. um…i think i need a new walking foot. mine is a much bigger hassle to install on my machine, and it doesn’t “walk” nearly as well. probably shouldn’t have gone with the cheap-o version…add it to the wishlist! ;)

23. Nola Woolley says:

Thanks so much I have just purchased my walking foot, so thanks for the tutorial.

24. Rachel says:

I’ve been hearing the buzz about ‘the walking foot’ now I’m sold! What do you think the average price is for one of those?

25. Debra says:

Thanks Rae, Great job on teaching exactly what I needed to know. Well Donel

26. Marsha G says:

I bought a machine, Janome, with a walking foot attachment. It was great on 1 or 2 layers…but when I tried sewing 1/4″ thick or somewhat stiff leather…the walking foot attachment didn’t do it. So i had to buy a second machine, ARGH!, but now i’m OK with it. I went with the Tuffsew machine. It has an actual built in walking foot…not an attachment. The Tuffsew has been much better for more thickness. I will put the link on the website slot on the above.

27. Cynthia says:

Thanks so much for making the video, it really helped me!