I wanted to make a spring Pierrot tunic for Clementine without the neck ruffle, which, if truth be told, is the only thing between me and a finished Pierrot in a half hour (under ideal circumstances of course). Pierrot is a very simple raglan swing tunic pattern, and while the ruffle really defines it, of course it also adds a bit of time.

{please feel free to pin the pictures in this post; I’ve purposefully included only photos I’m comfortable seeing on Pinterest}

This blue floral version is a size 3T extended 3″ to make it a dress (there’s a nice little set of diagrams in the instructions to make this easy) and while it’s clearly a bit big on Clementine, it should fit well through the fall as she’s really more of a 2T right now.

I had the “giant bow” concept in mind after seeing something similar at a children’s boutique shop, and I’m still thinking I might attach it over the shoulder. It’s adorable, but slightly impractical, with the bow in front. Think: stuffing dolls through it, threading hands and limbs through the loops, etc. She’s a creative little lady.

The photos give you a rough idea of what it looks like when worn, despite my sad little uncooperative subject, and a glimpse of her new haircut, perhaps not at it’s MOST fabulous in these pictures but nonetheless: isn’t it CUTE??? I have dreams of aiming for the “little French girl” look all spring.

So, Big Bow: I cut out a long strip that was about 5″ wide, roughly 2 yards long, folded it in half length-wise and sewed along the long edges with wrong sides together, then turned the whole thing right-side out and tucked the open ends inside and stitched across it.

The center of the bow is another little loop of fabric (again, about 5″ wide, maybe 4″ long) folded in half, stitched along the edge, and then turned right side out. If you tuck one end inside the other you get a loop that you can thread the big part through. So the bow isn’t “tied” at all, if that makes sense.

And the fabric: I found this limited edition quilting fabric at Undercover Quilts in Seattle (the one inside of Pike’s Place Market) last fall. Such lovely flowers for spring!

Check out the Pierrot photo pool for even more Pierrot cuteness! I especially love this ruffle-less dress version. And the Pierrot Sewing Pattern is available right here if you want to make your own!

Categories: Homepage Slider, clothes for girls, pierrot

21 Responses to Pierrot with a very Big Bow

1. Ragnhild says:

Since you mentioned spring – any chance there’ll be another Spring Top Sew-Along?

2. Myrnie says:

The dress, the bow, the hair cut…. All fabulous!

3. Rachel says:

what lovely floral fabric you found !!

4. Brittney says:

This is too cute! I think my twins definitely need a few of these with bows!

5. Erin says:

love it! such adorable fabric… thanks for linking to my ruffle-less version :) it has gotten SO MUCH wear in the past 2 weeks! love that pattern!

6. Wendy Lou says:

The dress with the bow is sooo cute!

7. Karen says:

I love you, Clementine!

8. Beth says:

So freakin’ cute! Love it! :)

both pierrots i’ve made my little gal have been worn a TON – it’s almost time to make #3! love this version, and it’s like you read my mind – i was thinking my easter dress for Em would have a big bow on the shoulder!

10. amy says:

I’d really like Clementine’s haircut. I just might take a pic along to my hair appointment next week. I need a spiffy, chic change. I won’t look nearly as cute, even if I did size up the Pierrot for myself, but it can’t hurt to have a nice haircut.

11. Karin says:

Oh Rae, she is getting so big! And she looks adorable in her pierrot dress. Very cute.

12. Kat says:

The dress is so adorable with that big bow! I love it! I am thinking I will have to buy the pattern soon!

13. Dakota says:

Ohhh, I would love to make this with a solid color and white bow, or a solid white and a colored bow!

14. Adele says:

Omg! She looks tooo cute in that! Good job!

15. Marguerite says:

I’m glad you’re ok with sort-of pictures of her- I don’t pin full-on pictures of other people’s kids if there is another option, because it seems weird to me to have someone else’s kids on my board, but I’m poetry sure I’ve pinned photos from you that show the back of a kid or similar!!

Hey Marguerite!
      Yeah, it’s funny, the ones that are more “side-shots” it doesn’t bug me so much. It’s the ones where they’re staring straight into the camera that I don’t like out and about. But really I *have* to be OK with anything I post getting out there, so I’ve been keeping those photos off the blog and trying to be better about communicating how I feel!! :)

16. pikvt says:

Greetings from Idaho! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the knowledge you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, fantastic blog!

17. These are in fact awesome YouTube movies, its my fortune to visit this web page and finding such awesome YouTube videos.