Listen, you guys. I know it’s always “handmade this” and “handmade that” around here, but I have to tell you, sometimes you just see something at the mall and you have to buy it. It doesn’t happen much for me, as I usually a) avoid the mall at all costs and b) make everything from the snowpants to the swimsuits for the kids. But after last year’s up-until-midnight-the-night-before-Easter debaucle that resulted in NO DRESS anyway, I decided to cross “Make Easter Dress for Clementine” off the list and punt that one to the BabyGap. You heard that right. I can hear a collective gasp, but I’m going to soldier on.

It was in the sale section and I thought, good grief that’s a perfectly cute little pink dress, why not just buy it? I know this is a statement that some cannot possibly comprehend (I know. My working philosophy for years was “that a cute —, why not make it?”), but if you’ve been around here long enough you know I’m also a big fan of giving yourself a break whenever possible. So I bought the dress. It’s cute.

I decided instead that I would make a matching Easter Bonnet to go with the dress (Easter is this coming weekend for all you heathens) using my Peekaboo Bonnet pattern.

I can’t hardly believe how similar these two ended up. You would hardly know that they didn’t come together. I cut heart shaped cutouts from the pale pink cotton fabric to match those on the front of the dress and basted them to the band piece of the bonnet after I put the piping on. And it worked! Yay!! So it’s a half-win for the Handmade Easter Outfit of 2012, I guess. Now to go see if that pale pink sweater matches too…

I’ve also been noticing a ton of adorable bonnets popping up in the Rae Made Me Do It Pool and thought you should all have a look. It’s that time of year…so if your little one still needs a sunhat (or an Easter bonnet – it is such a quick sew, about a 1/2 hour once the pieces are cut out), why not give it a try?

1. White and pink sun bonnet, 2. peek-a-boo bonnet, 3. Sunbonnet, 4. mar20.2, 5. Peekaboo Bonnet to match sundress, 6. Peek-a-boo Sunbonnets

1. Peekaboo baby bonnet, 2. Bonnet, 3. Baby bonet, 4. Midwest Modern Bonnet, 5. DSC02782, 6. 9/1

Little cuties! You can see more adorable bonnets (among other things) in the Rae Made Me Do It Pool. The Peekaboo Bonnet post is found here.

Categories: Homepage Slider, bonnet

26 Responses to Pale Pink Peekaboo!

1. Jenny says:

Cute! Good for you for giving yourself a break and not beating yourself up. Super cute bonnet!

2. CitricSugar says:

Funny how we crafty people put so much pressure on ourselves to make everything…

It’s okay to buy stuff, too. Especially when it is as sweet as this outfit! She’ll look adorable. :-)

3. elizabeth says:

I have to admit I totally saw this dress and thought—what a great knock off to sew!

But then I think about the work that goes into this dress….and your money was well spent.

4. Elli says:

ADORBSABLE. Can’t wait to see it on her.

Oh it turned out sooo great! Good job giving yourself a break – no shame in that at all! I hope you post photos of it on Clem, although I’m not sure if I’ll be able to handle how cute she’s sure to be in this perfect little ensemble. :)

6. Claire says:

Ahhhhh! All those kiddos in bonnets are so freakin cute! You’ve just made me reconsider the very selfish, preemptive decision I made to never sew for my future children.

7. Karen says:

Oh my goodness, she’s going to be SO adorable! Thanks for the heathen-reminder. I knew there was something this weekend ;)

I hope you’ll post photos of this more-than-fabulous outfit. Are you making a pink tie for E?

8. Alisa says:

You crack me up!

It’s good when you recognize that you just can’t ‘do it all’. I’m sewing for two of my girls but the third one can pick from her sister’s hand-me-downs. Poor girl :-(

9. jill says:

I didn’t like being called a heathen because I don’t celebrate the way you do.

10. jill says:

Thanks for the apology, Rae. I was hoping it was, but this time of the year is a little hard on atheists.

11. Adrianna says:

mixed feelings about this, Rae. At first, I was like, “oh no she didn’t just show us all up with that crazy intricate dress”, and then I was like, “whew, she’s a human being like the rest of us”, but then I was like, “begads, she made that bonnet to match the dress PERFECTLY, maybe she isn’t human after all.”

hahaha. Yes, you’ve discovered my deep dark secret Adrianna: I’m not actually human. I am a sewing robot. :)

12. Truly Myrtle says:

LOVE! Can’t say any more…off to make one too :)

13. elise says:

Dear Rae,

In a word “Hau te”. A designer chic, and adorable dress, with bonnet. I’m a devoted reader of yours, and enjoy hours of reading and viewing all the amazing lovelies you make.
    Truly, you are a “robo-babe” !
    Happy Holiday,
    Elise

14. Leigh says:

That bonnet looks perfect with the dress – you really did an amazing job!

15. Karen says:

I am right there with you !! I make everything my daugther wears. Family members of mine don’t even buy her clothes anymore becuase they know how much I enjoy making them. But sometime around the holidays….life get a little crazy or sneeks up too quick and the cost of buy is worth the extra sanity!! Thank you for sharing…..LOVE LOVE the dress and bonnet!! You always impress me!!

16. Stephanie says:

Can’t wait to make this bonnet for Puddle! Love your creativity.

17. Emmmmylizzzy says:

This is such a fitting post since all I have left to sew on Penelope’s peekaboo bonnet is the binding! I’m totally loving this pattern.
    I had big easter sewing plans as well to make the girls dresses out of Laurie Wisbrun’s modern whimsy line (the bunny and lamb prints) – but illnesses and a baby who refuses to sleep (EVER) got the best of me. Oh well – there’s always next year!

18. connie says:

Gosh Rae ~ You are so ultra uber talented. And hysterically funny, too. Your posts make me laugh. And laugh. Thanks for the inspiration and everything else. -Connie (heathen atheist with a sense of humor)

19. Jane says:

Oh my heavens i had not even considered adding something else to my daughter’s easeter apparel until i saw this post!! And i had to make one…she is a hat girl!! She already has a bonnet that my mom made her a long time ago but it’s a bit too small now…although she still wears it!! And, today, when she put it on …i knew i had to make her a surprise easter bonnet!! i hope to blog about it this week and put it in the flickr pool then! :)

20. Erin says:

Your talent amazes me! I can’t believe how perfectly you paired the dress and the bonnet. Very impressive. I look forward to seeing pictures of Clementine in it!

21. Jennifer says:

I’m with you…I make most of my daughter’s clothes, including the dress she wore to church last night. But the dress you found is downright adorable! I almost wish I lived near a Baby Gap…

Great job matching the bonnet and posting it…reminds me that my little girl needs one!

22. Elizabeth says:

I had to giggle a bit with this, because I just got back from the Gap, and bought an out fit for a baby gift. I have an etsy shop, where I make and sell children’t clothing. BUT I don’t do knit wear, so that is how I justified it :) Plus my hair appointment is tomorrow, and I couldn’t possible make anything in time.

Gap is the only cute children’s clothing in the US, along with Janie and Jack.

23. bilee says:

I absolutely LOVE the pic of the little girl with the yellow sweater!!!
    That is the cutest bonnet ever!!!