It’s Washi Week!!!

UPDATE: The Washi Dress Sewing Pattern is now available!

I should have designed a button or something but I didn’t want to waste time making a button when I should be GETTING THE PATTERN OUT. I make it sound like I’m actually doing some hard crazy work here but actually all I’ve been doing is sewing up Washis of various shapes and sizes to test every last detail and then sending the edits over to poor Elli, who is working like a slave on the layouts and has been every kind of patient with me as I change this and that and the next thing. Yesterday I had a photo shoot with the three latest versions of the pattern I’ve made, just finished over the weekend. That was fun.

I feel guilty posting on this blog, because I’m afraid there’s going to be a riot if I put up a post and the title isn’t “Washi Sewing Pattern is here!”  I figured I was safe with those birthday posts last week, but now all bets are off. It doesn’t help that I’ve been throwing teaser pictures up on Instagram. Subscribing to my twitter feed is like a long slow torture (She’s taking her kids to the lake? NOW they’re camping? Doesn’t she know I need that pattern?). @madebyrae, by the way.

Someday I’ll explain to you why this seems to take so long when really turning around a multi-sized semi-tailored women’s pattern in two months is pretty darn amazing when you’ve never made a women’s pattern for anyone other than yourself before (THOSE DARTS. Shakes fist at sky) and you only “work” two days a week and it’s high summer, but instead I’d rather show you the first of at least five (yes, FIVE!) different Washis I have to present to you for your viewing enjoyment. I only hope you’ll find them as fun and as inspiring as the original Washi Dress. And somewhere in this Washi-Bonanza I’m calling “Washi Week” an actual digital pattern will materialize, available, for purchase, that you can print in the comfort of your very own home and then proceed to tape together on the floor while you watch the Olympics.

The aqua version shown in this post was made with Lizzy House‘s pearl bracelet fabric from her Hello Pilgrim line, a lovely quilting cotton. You maybe spotted it already in this post. If you look carefully you’ll see this sleeveless tunic version has a set of darts that went a little rogue, if truth be told, as they land way north of where they should (I changed them in the pattern, no worries). But other than that it makes a nice comfy summer top.

This is the second sleeveless version of the Washi I’ve posted, but never fear, the pattern also includes the same sleeves as you see in the original Washi Dress and can be made with or without. Cutting lines are also included in the pattern for the tunic length, so you can make the dress or a tunic or something in between if you like.

Are you excited for Washi Week??? I am.

Categories: Homepage Slider, washi dress

30 Responses to Aqua Washi Tunic

1. angie says:

Well, I must say that I myself have been doing plenty of camping and laking this summer so as much as I’m eager to see the pattern thanks for getting it just right for us:)

2. Lisa says:

I’m READY! I have the perfect fabric for this that has been sitting in my sewing room for a year just waiting.

3. Christina says:

Oh man, I am dying! I absolutely love the tunic versions and now, darnit, I’m going to have to go buy myself some more fabric to make a tunic length one in addition to the washi tape fabric I have to make the dress! Ah!

On a side note, I think it would be fascinating to know the process of making a pattern because I cannot begin to imagine how much detailed work that must involve!

4. Marjie says:

Wow! I love this as a summer top!

5. Stephanie says:

Can’t even tell you have excited I am to get a hold of the pattern. It’s my birthday in a few weeks and everyone knows it’s the only thing I want…and yards and yards of fabric so I can sew until my heart if content!!! Thanks for making something so beautiful that excites so many!

6. KnitSewReadLove says:

I can’t lie; I just whooped out loud when I saw it was Washi Week! I might have been checking a little obsessively. (looks guilty) I suppose I should finish some sewing for my kiddos so I can sew happily for myself without those pesky unfinished projects bothering me. SO excited about FIVE washis!

7. julia borger says:

ME WANT PATTERN… PATTERN GOOD. But glad to hear you’re also enjoying the MI summer.

WASHI WEEK!!! You are a talented lady and I’m so excited to see everyone’s versions once pattern goes live. You’ve really gotten it to a great place and I honestly think it’ll get lots of gals sewing for themselves that were maybe a bit intimidated before. I started Washi #2 last night! Woohoo!

9. Kristen says:

That tunic looks great! Very flattering and comfy. Perfect for summer! :)

10. courtney says:

Ah, so excited I can’t stand it! But I totally understand and know it’s worth the wait. Do you think you could share fabric requirements for tops or tunics or dresses? I keep seeing them pop up and want to order fabric to have ready, but then I think is 3 enough for a tunic? Is 2 more than I need for a top? That would be awesome, thanks!

Hi Courtney:

Yes 2 is usually enough for a tunic (small-med sizes), 2.5 if you’re a L/XL/XXL, 3 is enough for a dress!

11. Laney says:

It’s gorgeous Rae! I’m very excited that the pattern is almost finished. My fabric is lost somewhere over the Atlantic anyway so I don’t mind waiting…Good luck on the endspurt!

12. annie_loo says:

i can’t wait! i am so hoping to make a dress out of this! can’t wait!!!!! looks awesome!

13. Brooke says:

You are superwoman!:) I love this tunic version just as much as the dress… And have some of the pearls in the same color waiting for the perfect project. Hmm…maybe a copycat shirt?:) can’t wait to see all the Washi awesomeness this week.

14. Jane says:

Yes, yes, yes i am excited!! I love this version! Well, all of them so far!

15. Kelly says:

Yay for Washi Week!!! I am excited, it really is a great pattern…I daydream about different versions of it, haha. Can’t wait to see the others you have made!!

16. Kirbie says:

I think this is my most favorite Washi yet! I love the fabric! CAN NOT WAIT…HURRY RAE, oh sorry was I shouting and being pushy? My apologies, could you stop teasing please? Is that better? :)

17. Erin says:

Super excited!!! ….but waiting patiently….. :)

18. Sophie says:

Reeeeally like this version. And yeah, hurry up already ;)

19. cate says:

take your time, enjoy your summer! I can say that since it’s still winter here…. but just so you know, my fabric arrived this week and it’s all washed and waiting… also, I really appreciate knowing that you’ve made such an effort to get all the details just right since it just might become this years summer uniform for me!

20. Mina says:

Hi, Rae – I think we are all exitedly awaiting the finished Washi pattern, but good things come to those who wait, right? :) I second Cate’s advice ^ to enjoy your summer with your familiy! Don’t stress out over this, I can only imagine what a challenge it must be to get a pattern JUST right, especially when there’s so must exitement about it already. Please know that we really aprecciate the wonderful work you do!

21. Dana says:

I can’t wait!! I’ve been loving all your “slow torture” posts and look forward to making this top. Do enjoy your summer, though! It’ll be over before you know it!

22. Dana says:

P.S. Can you do a sew-along when the pattern comes out? Pretty pleeeease?

23. Sarah says:

Every time I see your washi dress I love it more!!!! I really like the tunic version!

24. Anshu says:

I didn’t visit your blog for a week and missed all the fun ( or maybe it was better).
    I checked all the posts and I love all the versions of Washi Dress. If I wasn’t scared of patterns I would have definitely succumbed to the icandy. For some reason I have this sinking feeling when I need to sew a garment from a pattern. But looks like my condition is extremely rare. Congrats on getting your latest pattern out…quite an achievement.

25. louize says:

this is gorgeous – congratulations on making the pattern… I am off to check it out now – especially if there is a sleeved version!