Washi Week!!! OK, last one, I promise (for now).

I admit I fell pretty hard for Lucie Summers‘ Summersville collection. It’s so modern and basic, I can see it as table linens, boy shorts for Elliot, twirly skirts for Clementine and Wiksten tanks. So I bought a pile.

And the paint-brush stroke print just seemed perfect for a casual Washi top, with shorts in the summer or jeans and a cardi in the winter. I admit that normal persons would probably not wear it with green skinnies, but then I am not a normal person.

But just to show that I can pull off “normal,” here it is with a pair of jeans:

Here you get a nice view of the bodice which I adjusted for a small bust (see the Resources section at the bottom of the Washi Pattern page for a how-to)

This top was made with the “tunic view” of the Washi Dress Pattern, which is available now!

Categories: Homepage Slider, washi dress

42 Responses to Summersville Washi Tunic

1. Amber H says:

Psh, I’d totally wear it with green skinnies. Nothing wrong with that!

2. Gorgeous!!!!!!!!! And it looks awesome with the green jeans.

I must keep this in mind for next year. It’s a great pattern, but not very nursing friendly.

• Ana says:

Haha. Glad I’m not the only one! I treasure the nursing year, but now my list of things to look forward to post-nursing includes making and wearing washis!

• kristin says:

I scooped out the neckline on the second washi dress I made (but haven’t blogged yet), making the neckline about 1″ deeper and a bit wider, and I think it’s totally nursing-friendly! I’m not nursing anymore but I can imagine… ;) Maybe try making a muslin with a more scooped neck and see if it’ll work for you? Probably need to eliminate the U cutout which is a bummer, but you could wear the dress for nursing and beyond!

• Laney says:

I’m nursing too but I couldn’t wait to finally make the Washi Dress. It was SO worth it and I wear it all the time (I just go in a seperate room to nurse). It’s the third time I’ve tried a dress for myself and the first time one fits. It hides my post pregnancy belly really well. Thanks Rae!

3. Katie says:

I love it with the green!

• Jessie Lee says:

I’m in the same boat with nursing! Rae, do you think the shirring in the back of the tunic would provide enough stretch for nursing? I’d love to make a few cute tops again… especially after all of the maternity clothes!

Hi Jessie!

Yes, I was a pull-it-up nursing mama (I just wore a nursing tank under everything basically for 2 years. Those tanks got pretty gross) and I would have totally nursed in this top. The elastic makes it really easy to pull up; you’d just need a cover for your lower half. :)

4. Brenda says:

OH my gosh! I didn’t see this one! It might be my favorite one.

5. Monica says:

Has anyone made the XL yet? I am curious to see how it looks on someone with a larger stature.

• Caitlin says:

I’m making the largest size, but I’ve got to work on my bust adjustment. I put a muslin together last night, and the amount of fabric was just right, but the darts ended up too long and too high. I’m close, though :)

Hi Monica:

I’ve seen it on a number of people who have made the XL and it looks good! The only problem is most people who make the XL and XXL don’t want to *tell* everyone what size they’re making!! :) I guess I should have used reverse lettering to label the pattern sizes.

6. Tanesha says:

I absolutely LOVE this orange print and your Washi tunic/dress together! And the green jeans are perfect with it. Thanks for all the great combos/ideas for making this pattern – I can see I’ll be super-busy making some for myself. And I’m not above being greedy in asking for a child’s size version AND a plus-size version of the pattern once you’ve had a rest from all the hard work that went into getting this out. It is just so good for so many body types. Thanks Rae!

7. Laurie Jakubiak says:

What size do you make for yourself, I always have trouble sizing with sewing patterns. I know this has detailed instructions on how to measure and make a muslin/adjust. I will do that but you look about my size so I figure I’ll start there. I have been waiting for this pattern for ages.

8. brooke says:

Do you know what you are doing to my fabric budget?! I think we may go broke from washis, but I shall tell the hubs that it is all your fault. :) On a side note, I love your green pants. Been wanting to get some colored skinnies myself but not sure I can pull them off.

Love it, Mrs. Green Jeans!

10. Rita says:

Green pants all the way! Personally, I think it looks way better with the green. Tres chic. :)

11. Paula S. says:

I’m totally digging all of the Washi’s. They look great in every style and color!

12. Kirbie says:

I totally like it better with the green skinnies!

13. Jacinta says:

Love it with the green better !!

14. Kristie says:

Love this in a tunic. So cute. Thanks.

15. Rashida says:

I LOVE it with the green! That’s how I’d wear it! ^_^ Can’t wait to make one of these!

16. Caitlin says:

I think your green skinnies are awesome :) I can’t wear skinny jeans, but if I could I would totally rock all the different colors!

17. Katie says:

Super rad. I’ve been enjoying all of the Washis mucho. :)

18. Sabrina says:

You’re really making it hard to resist buying the pattern. . . .

19. annie_loo says:

I LOVE IT WITH THE GREEN PANTS! I TRIED ON SOME GREEN SKINNIES YESTERDAY AT OLD NAVY….BUT THEY WERE TRAGIC ON THESE LEGS! I DON’T THINK I’M MEANT FOR SKINNIES! I’M CONTEMPLATING THIS PATTERN HARD—-JUST NOT SURE ABOUT THE ELASTIC IN THE BACK AND THE PLEATING. I COULD SURE MESS THAT UP! ;)

20. angie says:

Love it! I’ve purchased the pattern and read through, hoping to find time to work on it this weekend….I will absolutely be doing a fba so wish me luck.

21. Jacqui says:

Half way through making mine in XL size and it looks good so far! Will also have a go at some time to make it with proper sleeves to wear in autumn/winter.

22. Nadeen says:

Am I committing a major error by cutting a size small for the dress and an extra small for the bust alone? The muslin fits well, but I wonder if I’m making a mistake by not doing a formal small bust adjustment? This is the first time I sew bust darts…

Hi Nadeen —

Check it with a muslin first, but that “cheater” method is fairly common; you’re basically blending two sizes, which is fine. The other thing I sometimes do is make a M back and a S front and just sew them together. You might do that with the S and XS if you like how that fits better than the blended front piece.

Good luck!!

Hi Nadeen: That is definitely a valid way to do a “cheater” SBA — I actually do a small front and a medium back, and it works about the same as doing an SBA on the medium…maybe a little more snug. :)

23. Angela says:

Hyperventilating over here in ft collins! Any plans on offering printed patterns? We could sell, oh about a billion of them in the shop! I have Monday to myself, I might have to mark this!!M

24. Leah says:

Love it! i love the fabric and I must know where your green skinnies are from. I have been looking for some. Can’t wait to try this pattern! thanks rae.

Hey L:
      Green skinnies came from Urban Outfitters, about a year ago…don’t know if they still have them but they were online! :) great to hear from you!!!!

25. oma says:

hey rae,
    i’m in the middle of making my dress! i made a muslin and then did an SBA, which fit much better. now i’m wondering how to adjust the front of the skirt to make it narrower in order to match up to my now-narrower bodice. i did an SBA to a small and the bodice is now 1.5 inches narrower at the bottom. any hints?
    thank you–i’m excited to be making something for me.

Hi Oma:

Couple of options: either trim the excess off the sides between the top corners and the top of the pockets (making the side more angled, but not by much, OR, just make the pleats a wee bit deeper. Either way works!!!

26. Love this version and the fabric you used. What a clever idea to twist the pattern design vertically! It makes it much more suitable for a dress/top

27. jenn says:

Hey rae,
    I want to try making the top as my practice for a modified bust pattern. What is the yardage for the top?
    Thanks.