kcwc sew-off day 2: sew a mini-washi

How could I not make a miniature version out of the washi tape fabric, I ask you? And guess what? She loves it. Will try to get photos of it on her this afternoon when she gets home from preschool. I know it’s a little insane to make matching mother-daughter dresses, but I just had to. Can’t explain.

{If you’re new here, this is a miniaturized version of my Washi Dress} The fabric is called “Washi” (designed by Rashida Coleman-Hale), because it features washi tape, hence the name of the fabric/dress}

Meanwhile, you absolutely MUST check out Kristin’s mini “fireworks” Washi — she made the most adorable version in Anna Maria Horner’s Innocent Crush fabric. Kristin’s mini-washi is a true purist version complete with shirring in the back, which is just lovely. The back of mine is a bit of a cheat, but no worries about getting it over Clementines huge head I guess. OH! and don’t miss Karen’s version over here, also featuring some lovely Anna Maria Horner fabric.

Also: can you spot where I accidentally cut a big hole in the bodice and then patched it up? Oops. I just replaced my rotary cutter blade and it is dangerous, downright dangerous I tell you.

UPDATE: You can see photos of this dress on the girl in this post and matching mother-daughter shots (ack. I know) right here.

Categories: clothes for girls

27 Responses to mini-washi. I had to do it.

1. Charlotte says:

You are so clever!!! I have no idea how to make patterns, would be a great skill to learn when I’m not a full time mother/midwifery student etc etc!! Time is not on my side right now
    I am taking solice in knitting & crochet instead because I can pick it up then dump it down again real quickly … :-)

omigosh i totally considered making mine in washi fabric too! i have the cream washi, but hadn’t pre-washed it and didn’t have time to wait. and then i checked to see if i had enough of the charcoal washi left, but i didn’t. how funny would THAT have been?! maybe for mini washi 2… ;)

really love your version, though – so smart to add the neck closure for a littler gal! i’m getting a major kick out of our sew off!

that would have been hilarious if we had both made them with the tapes — I knew you had the grey from your clever charlotte top, so I wondered…

DO IT!!!

3. brooke says:

This is so cute! Love that it’s in matching fabric too :)

4. Yeah! You even did it in the Washi fabric – I love that!!!

5. wan says:

rae, you kill me. your projects are always so freaking adorable! i’m inspired to sit down at the machine again. i miss sewing.

6. Libby says:

I haven’t even gotten around to making my Washi yet, but now I need to make a Wittle Washi. I hope I have enough fabric for both.

7. Erin says:

Unfortunately for my girls, I am not as skilled. Hence, if you ever release this for girls (up to sz 12…please) you will have at least one purchaser

8. Cherie says:

I love this so much. I see a Washi in Yuki’s future and maybe even in charcoal Washi fabric (but you know, I see a lot of things in my future). Oh and I’m with Kristin (on IG) – mother-daughter washi dress photo shoot could clinch the win for you this round!

9. Brittany says:

Omigosh are you kidding me? This is rediculously cute. Seriously, your patterns and blog are my favorite. I would pretty much buy any pattern you put out. Yours and O+S patterns are my absolute must haves. You are so talented. Keep up the good work!

10. Eliowyn says:

You sure had to do it!! It’s adorable!
    Love your fabric!

11. OMG PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come out with a Mini Washi pattern for sale! I have an online children’s boutique and I would just die to make this dress for little kiddos! :0) It’s seriously one of the cutest patterns ever. I love the other one made that was similar to the adults with the shirring in the back. If there was a way to keep the dress with a shirred back and just pull on over the head, that would be awesome….. but the buttons work too. Maybe even a cute cut out with just a little button and loop at the top would be adorable! :0)

12. Darci says:

Oh I wish you had a pattern for kids!!! I would make a million of these for my girls. Love it. I would have also made matching dresses as I am like that too :)

13. Anneliese says:

Love it! I know what you mean about feeling compelled to make matching or coordinating outfits…there is no way to articulate but sometimes you just have to do it!

14. Karen LePage says:

I aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalmost picked my charcoal for Ella, but it is for me. And I kinda figured you’d do a miniWashiWashi….

15. Jill says:

It’s so perfect. LOVE.

16. Rashida says:

Rae, I love you. ^_^

17. BB says:

OHMYGOSH!!! I love it love it love it. Will you be drawing up a pattern for those of us who are challenged and need a guide? I just had twin nieces born and would love to make them dresses!
    Also, I finally finished my very own washi and am so proud of myself. My first ever thing that wasn’t a square! YAY!

18. CitricSugar says:

Very cute!

And super-clever patch job.

19. Susan says:

I love it! Please make a pattern for children! I would definitely buy it! I tend to make clothes only for my daughter and not myself because I don’t really know how to “fit” things. I would make this a million times for my daughter!