KCWC sew-off, Day 1: Upcycle a Flashback Tee

I’m already behind Kristin, who posted her Daring Fireball tee yesterday already. Haha! SO exciting!!

This project would have gone much faster if I had just made it a basic upcycled pink tee (I started with this old one of mine), but of course I had to make it waaaay harder on myself and attempt to add a little voile peter pan collar. With mixed results. It’s cute, when she stands exactly the way I want her to….but as soon as she moves, it gapes quite a bit in the front:

Ack. If I had had more time to fuss with it, I could have made it perfect…but of course I have other things to sew now, so the fix will have to wait. It’s also a size 4, and Clementine wears size 3, so maybe I’ll leave it and just let her grow into it a bit more?

One thing that must be mentioned: when you attach a woven collar to a knit top, you MUST leave a bigger opening for the head, as woven fabric will not stretch over the head like a neckband will. Hence this little make-shift placket in the back. And I just had to share this pic, it totally kills me. The “I’m so bored with Mom taking my picture” deep-space-stare. Hee.

OK, off to do some more Mini-Washi dress sewing!!!

* * * * * * *

An update on my Pinterest-pinning policy: Many of you know that I don’t like certain pictures of my kids ending up on Pinterest. I NEVER post pictures that I’m uncomfortable seeing on Pinterest, but I PREFER that the ones that are marked “private” on Flickr not be used on Pinterest or other websites. If you click on the “Pin It” buttons that are at the bottom of each post (and sometimes embedded in the posts), some photos are marked “sorry, cannot pin this image” (please leave those images alone) and some are “pinnable” (feel free to pin those!). Want to see what I mean? Click on this button:

If you wish to use any of my images — even ones that can be “pinned” — on your own website or blog, please have the courtesy to contact me for written permission first. Thanks!

Categories: clothes for girls

14 Responses to Pink Flashback Tee with peter pan collar

1. Jess says:

love this top Rae! Great, one more thing to add to my KCWC list… ;) the pink and black are great together!

okay yeah this is adorable. i win on timeliness but you win on customization, for sure! ROUND TWO! can’t wait to see that mini washi! i’m just itching to post mine!

3. Max says:

This is super cute! I love it!

4. Ledys says:

I love it, Rae, it’s way cute!

5. Emily says:

Oh man – this is awesomeness!

6. Jacinta says:

Definitely so cute with the pink and black. Looks more of a dressier tee with the collar. And thanks for the tip for the woven & knits together.

7. ooer I love a Peter Pan collar.

Thanks so much for providing the pinnable image. I’m a heavy pinterest user and love the initial image which describes the link. I’m always disappointed when I hit up a website which I want to bookmark which doesn’t have any pinnable images.

8. Jill says:

eek! That is way too cute. Maybe I’ll just copy everything you make this week and pretend I am you. Would that be ok? mmmkay, thanks!

9. Jen says:

hi Rae,
    First I want to thank you for the awesome Flashback tee pattern. I’ve been cranking out quite the number of tees for my daughter, and they are turning out way cute. See?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/piggybaby/8429698543/in/photostream
    and here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/piggybaby/8412778344/in/photostream/
    Anyhoo, I have a question for you:
    Do you think the Peter Pan collar would work using knit fabric instead of woven? I’m too lazy to create a button or snap closure in the back of the shirt.
    Thank you!!!
    a Big Fan,
    Jen :)

Hi Jen,

I don’t know — I had alot of trouble getting *this* one to lay flat so I would worry about a knit one. I get you about the back closure though; that’s totally a pain. Sorry to not have a better answer!!