Description
The Geranium Dress is a sweet and incredibly versatile dress pattern that includes two views. View A features flutter sleeves, a gathered skirt (top or dress length), with an optional notched neckline and an optional patch pocket. View B features faux cap sleeves, a pleated skirt (top or dress length) with side-seam pockets for sizes 18-24 months and up and an optional cutout neckline. Both views feature a lined bodice for a lovely finished effect. See all pattern options.

$10 – Geranium Dress – sizes 0 – 5T (looking for larger sizes? CLICK HERE)

Buy Now

This pattern is delivered via instant download as a 51-page PDF eBook which features full-color photographs and diagrams, step by step instructions, plenty of tips and hints, and a printable instruction summary sheet. All pattern pieces are full-sized pattern and include seam allowances. The digital eBook including pattern and instructions will be sent to your Paypal email address (please do not request that we forward to a different address. Thanks!) via instant download link as soon as payment is received.

Please read my download/printing instructions if you have never purchased an instant download pattern from me before. Thanks!

Sizes Included
0-3 / 3-6 / 6-12 / 12-18 / 18-24 months / 2T / 3T / 4T / 5T

Materials Needed
Woven fabric (see yardage chart below)
lightweight fusible interfacing
3 buttons or snap for back closure

Selling Geranium Dresses
A license-to-sell for handmade sellers is now available (click here for more information) for the Geranium Dress.

The Geranium Dress was featured on on my blog in the following posts:
Polkadot Dress (pictured above, far left)
Geranium Dress (with bunnies) (second from left)
Mini-Washi (fourth from left; includes separate sleeves which have now been incorporated into the View B bodice pattern piece)
Dark Linen Dress (center)
Birthday Dress* (fourth from right)
Oh What a Busy Day Top (third from right)
Voile Dress* (second from right)
Ric-Rac Baby Dress* (far right)
Almost here: Geranium Dress!
Geranium Pattern Tester Fabulousness
*note: These versions feature trim; a tutorial for adding trim to the Geranium Dress is here

adding trim to geranium

Post your pictures to the Geranium Dress Photo Pool on Flickr!

H's DressS's dressWP_tunikaLWP_tunika1_piciGeranium dressGeranium dress

$10 – Geranium Dress – sizes 0 – 5T (looking for larger sizes? CLICK HERE)
Buy Now

This blog is proudly sponsored by

Categories: clothes for girls, patterns

63 Responses to Geranium Dress Sewing Pattern is here!

1. Ellen says:

Fabulous! But sadly my little girl is not so little (turned 5 Wednesday and is already in a 7). Any chance that it’s easy enough to lengthen that this beginner could do it? Or perhaps a tutorial for lengthening?

• Michele' says:

Awesome and so very cute! I would snatch it up in a heartbeat if only it came in a larger size :-( My almost five year old is also in a size 6. Hopefully this will become available in larger sizes soon because it is fantastic!

2. Clover says:

So cute. Sadly we are in a size six.:-(

3. Jennifer says:

I love this little dress/shirt but also my daughter is a size 6-7, but is fairly petite. I wonder too if I could just lengthen the dress and keep the bodice size as a 5?

• Rae Hoekstra says:

Hi Jennifer!

There is not a huge width difference from 5 to 6 but yes you might need to lengthen it…the armpits are fairly roomy so you could add some length to the bottom of the bodice and the skirt. Definitely make a bodice muslin first though if you think you want to give it a shot! Or wait for a larger range…though I’m not exactly sure when that would be. :)

4. YES! Would you believe that just yesterday I was searching for a dress pattern with flutter sleeves? So excited to see how versatile this pattern is! Beautiful work!

5. Robin says:

Love love love! Can’t wait to sew this up. Thanks for another awesomely cute pattern, Rae!

6. Shannon says:

Oh Rae….this is awesome! Love it! So adorable and I love all the options. I know my girls will love it as much as I adore my Washi! Big hugs to you and wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas! xoxo

7. Justine says:

Got it!
    Thank you Rae – & Merry Christmas :-)

8. Laura says:

woot! I’ve been keeping my eye out for a cute pattern like this! we already love your flashback tee, I’m buying this for myself for Christmas!

9. Purchased! I’m loving the look of this pattern. Now to find the time to make it for DD2. I already have the perfect fabric.

10. Erin says:

just bought it! Rae, you are awesome.

11. Lisa says:

Congratulations on your new pattern! It’s super cute!

12. Diane says:

Adorable!! But I am with the others who would like to see this in bigger sizes!! My 9yo daughter still loves dresses and I would love to keep her in sweet little girl dresses for as long as she loves them!! Any chance you could offer this in sizes up to 12? Thanks!! And keep the great patterns coming!!!

13. Maryam Y. says:

You don’t know how long I’ve been admiring the sweet dresses and tops you’ve made your daughter and hoping you’d come out with a pattern soon. I love all the versions you’ve made and the testers did lovely work. I’m going to buy now and hopefully make at least two next week. I’m so excited :D

14. Monica says:

Ahhhh!!! I will be buying this tomorrow. I still have this strange fear of patterns, and have only used your flashback tee, so I am thrilled to see this. That notched neckline has me all giddy. Oh, Rae, thank you from the bottom of my little novice sewers heart who loves your pdf’s because they make me feel as if you are there holding my hand through the whole process.

15. Val says:

I love it! It is exactly the sort of pattern I’ve been looking for! I’ve already almost finished one and will be cutting out the next today. Super simple and quick to sew.

16. kate says:

i was all set to buy it and then saw the range is only through 5:( i’d be happy to pay a bit more for a wider range… usually when i sew for my girls i like to do matching styles, so sadly i’m going to pass on this super cute pattern for my 3 and 6 year olds:(

Woohoo, congrats on getting this pattern out into the world! Such a great one. I need to get my post up…dang Christmas, cutting into my blogging time. ;)

18. leslie says:

I too would like to see it in larger sizes. I have an almost three year old (size 3T) and a just turned 5 year old (size 6 currently). I have to pass on this until you can get it up to size 10…. but it is really cute!!! Good job!

side note: It is very VERY hard to find modest and cute dresses in the stores for girls that are over the toddler size range. When they turn to a size 6 all of a sudden things start becoming more “adult”. I don’t like it. I’m trying to keep my girls looking like girls for as long as I can. I’d love suggestions for cute patterns in the larger sizes.

• sara says:

Figgy’s Sunki dress is good for more modest girls’ clothes, while still being pretty modern.

Also, have you checked out burdastyle? There’s a lot of good basic stuff there; the instructions aren’t great but the patterns are cheap and generally well-styled.

19. Erin says:

Bummer that it only goes up to 5T…This is such an amazingly cute pattern. My daughters are sz 6 and 10…wish for a larger size, but understand you don’t have endless amounts of time..congratulations on such an adorable pattern!

20. Jennifer O. says:

Adorable! I would also echo the hope for larger sizes. I sew for my nieces, ages 6, 7, and 8. They are skinnies, though (the 6yo measures a 3T in Oliver + S patterns for instance) so they might be able to fit into the 5, lengthened. It would be helpful if finished measurements or child’s body measurements for the sizes were listed. At least I think they weren’t, from what I could see? I’ll probably buy the pattern anyway!

21. Tal says:

I agree with the ladies above: please make it in larger size. I have a 7yr old and make dresses in 7 or 8. It is such a lovely looking pattern.

22. Margaret says:

I love this little dress and I have a granddaughter that will fit the pattern. I love the dress on the model in the maroon tights and brown boots. The dress has polka dots all over it. I just love that material. It’s bright and pretty. Thank you for having this contest.

23. aprilshowers says:

So cute! I came over from CINO’s post on her latest version – adorable. I have a special fabric stashed away that I’ve been waiting to find the perfect pattern for. Any idea how much yardage View A in size 4 would take? I’ll also echo the others who have begged for bigger sizes!

24. Erin says:

So excited to purchase this pattern but don’t think a 5t would fit my almost 6 year old. Would love to see it in a little bit larger size. I love my Washi Dress, the pattern was so well written and easy to follow. Crossing my fingers for a bigger Geranium. Thanks!!

25. Amy says:

Love the pattern! I’m wondering how you would suggest finishing the skirt with pockets since it seems impossible to press them open & serge.

26. Brooke says:

This pattern is great! Easy to understand and sew. So far I’ve made a 3-6 month size. Love it! This one is definitely going to be a favorite for many many years. Thanks!

27. Claudia says:

I want this pattern, but my girl is a size 6 going on 7. Any chance you will release it for bigger sizes? I may get it any way. I love it! Really lovely!

28. Susan says:

How would this work, do you think, with a fine wale cordorouy?

29. Martha Lee says:

Is it possible to buy your geramium dress pattern in printed form rather then PDF form?

30. Nanako says:

I always love your fabric choices!
    This dress is PERFECT for my baby gift project for a friend,
    thank you for the free 0-3m pattern.
    I shared the link via pinterest in my blog, with full credit and direction to this site :)

31. Jenn says:

Darling!! But I’m with some of the others, I need it in a bigger size. I’m just not skilled enough to attempt to fiddle with the pattern myself.

32. Kelly says:

I would get this pattern in a heartbeat for my 7 year old if it came in a bigger size!

33. Lee says:

Rae, I love this dress. I have bought several of your other patterns. I always like your patterns because they aren’t complicated. I made this for my daughter who is 4 and petite. I made the 5T but it was tight around the bodice and too short around the bodice as well. I fiddled with the pattern and made it larger to fit her. I followed the pattern as copies (checking the 1″ measurement). I cut in the pattern lines (didn’t add extra yardage). Also, why add button holes after adding the skirt? Would it be easier to make button holes before you attach the skirt? I hate button holes! Nother very nice pattern, Rar!

34. Shannon says:

I would definitely purchase this pattern if it came in larger sizes. My daughter is 5 and a half and I don’t think the Geranium would look so great on her 2 year old brother! Please, please, please can you release this pattern in sizes 6 to 10.

35. Tracy says:

This is the best dress I have ever made my little girl! And I have made many dresses for her. This one is amazing. I will make her a few more but she is almost 5 and is in a growth spurt. They won’t fit very long. So I am going to echo the pleads above for this pattern in a larger size. Pretty please. :)

36. Thomie Loves says:

How long does it take you to make this dress on average?

37. Michelle says:

Hi, can you give any information about the amount of fabric needed for a few sizes? I am very interested in this pattern, it looks very sweet. And knowing the genearl fabric requirements would help.

Thank you for producing such great patterns.

38. Mediumgeek says:

Hello,

Any possibility to get information about the yardage needed before I buy? Specifically thinking about a 3T size dress.

Thank you!

39. Kate says:

Made it for my daughter (robot fabric) and my niece (elmer the elephant fabric) and have plans for many many more. Love this pattern so very much. Can’t wait to add my photos to the flickr pool. :-)

40. Debbie D says:

do you make printed patterns?? I would love to buy them!!

41. Julieanne says:

Hello Rae-I have several of your lovely patterns including the Geranium dress pattern. I haven’t sewn it for quite a long time and I have written on the pattern “skirt is 5/8 inch too narrow so add to this” and I have no idea what I meant now! I vaguely remember there was a correction with the pattern I think?
    Could you please let me know if there were any corrections to the pattern?
    Thanks so much Rae.
    Kind regards
    Julieanne x

Hi Julieanne,

Unfortunately I don’t remember the exact modification that we made to the pattern, but we *did* send an updated skirt pattern to EVERYONE who ordered the original version of the pattern — please check to see if you opened and saved that update to the skirt pattern pieces; it’s been such a long time that I’m not sure I’m going to be able to figure out the exact change for you at this point! :)

42. angela says:

Is it possible to buy this pattern in the united kingdom? I really love the pattern and I am really looking forward to using it , many thanks

43. Samantha says:

I made this using the free 0-3 month pattern for my 10 week old baby girl but the dress wouldn’t fit over her head! Do American sizes come up smaller than uk sizes or does she just have a huge head!?!

44. Emma Darden says:

I’m so in love with your site; I’m teaching myself to sew and your tutorials are phenomenal. I’m wondering, though, if I should bite off this project as a novice sewer. How complicated would you rate it?

Hi Emma — you should try it! I’d rate it as an ambitious beginner pattern, and there are tons of pictures to help you along. :)

• Emma Darden says:

Ok! I decided to try Dana’s simple skirts for Easter, and they look adorable. So on to the Geranium dress!

Thank you, a million times, for your blog. I wish I’d just paid attention to my mom but now I have you!

45. Hannah says:

I love this pattern and have already made 2! I have been trying to start sewing with knits and was wondering if you thought this pattern could be made with knits!

46. Xenia says:

Hi Rae,
    I’ve been admiring your work for quite some time and have just purchased Geranium which is going to be the first piece of clothing I ever make. So exciting :) I’ve looked through the pattern, and it is so incredibly well written.
    I only have one question, not on the pattern itself but kind of a general one. What do people usually use for the lining? I guess it’s especially important when you sew clothes for kids.
    I know it’s a (stupid) newbie question, but the opinions found on the web are so different.
    Do you have any advice on this? Or maybe you have already written about it?
    Thank you!

Hi Xenia — everyone has different ideas about what to use for lining, so once you’ve tried a few different things, you’ll start to figure out what you like best! I usually use a lightweight cotton such as voile or lawn. Use a print if you want a fun contrast, or a solid to keep things simple. happy sewing! :)

47. jessibean says:

This dress will be a staple in my niece’s wardrobe!

48. [...] got a Geranium Dress. It stared as a tunic but I really felt a dress would suit her better so I added an folded chambray [...]

49. [...] to the backside to make for a cute ruffle butt) The dress was a heavily modified version of the Geranium dress. I enlarged the bodice, raised the waistline and drafted my own [...]

50. [...] bought the Geranium dress pattern (Made by Rae) when the larger sizes were released, but it did took me a while to join the [...]