I’ve had no less than nine friends and family members give birth to boys in the past year. NINE. Can’t think of a single baby girl though…why is that?? What is up with the baby boys?? I would be lying if I said I was able to make handmade gifts for all of them, but I did manage to finish and gift this little boy quilt last week:

Happy Drawing

Happy Drawing

Happy Drawing

Happy Drawing

This ladder quilt was inspired by this quilt on the Cloud 9 blog, which in turn was inspired by this post by Lu Summers. There’s a tutorial for Michelle’s version on the Cloud 9 post, mine is a bit simpler but if there’s enough interest I could probably post some instructions for this version as well. I used my “cheater bindof method” for this quilt, super easy and — extra added bonus! — because I quilted all the way to the edge of the blue backing with white thread, it created a cool stitching pattern along the side bindings.

Happy Drawing

Baby quilts are so fun and quick to make. I like that it’s rectangular so that it could be potentially used as real bedding once little Baby M is old enough in addition to the usual nursery decor or play-blanket functions.

Oh and of course I had to make a cute little pair of Big Butt Baby Pants too!!! Love the little frogs on this print. That Ed Emberley is a genius.

bigbuttbabypantduofrogs

{Fabric in this post: Happy Drawing by Ed Emberley for Cloud 9, stripes are Hello Pilgrim by Lizzy House, blue and white Moda Bella solids for quilt backing and sashing}

Categories: baby, baby pants, boy

13 Responses to Baby Boy Quilt + Pants

1. nopinkhere says:

what an adorable use of the ed emberley fabrics!

2. Leslie R. says:

What a great quilt! Perfect for a little guy. Like you, I also have been surrounded by baby boy births. I’m always looking for new gift ideas. I usually do an appliqued name pillow – but am thinking about changing it up some.

3. Kellie says:

Love that quilt!

4. Monica says:

Oh, I love this quilt! I’m sure baby and mama are going to as well :)

5. abby says:

Love the quilt! I’m the opposite here…surrounded by baby girls! Except for my own, who is a boy. You can never have enough boy project ideas in the back of your head.

6. Mikea says:

Love it! I would appreciate you posting how you did it. Your fabric choices are awesome

love those ed emberley prints – so cute! BOY SEWING WOO!

8. treen says:

*Raised hand* Here’s a baby girl for your statistical count – I’m due with my 5th girl (no boys for us) next month.

So I’m glad to hear that someone somewhere is having boys, because there sure aren’t any baby boys around here! It’s been girls girls girls for about 2 years in our neck of the woods, and the only new boys I’ve known about at all (all 1 or 2 of them) live at the other end of the country.

9. Suzanne says:

I love the quilt – and would love to see your instructions as well!! Beautiful.

10. Mae says:

WOW RAE! i am really liking that quilt, & have absolutely no quilt skills (mostly just that jealous feeling in the place where talent is usually stored) :)

11. Lindsay says:

I love the quilt! Great job! Cute fabrics and composition.

12. Carlee says:

I love this quilt! I love modern quilts and yours is so pretty! Thanks for sharing, Rae!