If you’ve been paying attention lately you’ll know that Dana and I have been hinting big time at something fun in the works…

That’s right, it’s time for another Celebrate the BOY series! Woooooot!!! *does kermit arms*

Celebrate the BOY 2013

Dana and I will be joining forces again, starting next week Monday, for TWO WEEKS of BOY-only posts! Sewing for boys can be frustrating sometimes; there are simply more options when it comes to sewing for girls. Dana and I first launched a month-long Celebrate the BOY series back in February 2010 in an effort to address this and BOY (har har!) did we ever get a huge response! It was so much fun we decided to do it again the next year, twice. It’s been almost two years since our last BOY week, so we are both very excited to be bringing it back!

My focus this year is definitely going to be on beefing up Elliot’s wardrobe; it’s been a LONG time since I did any significant sewing for him. So this year from me you’ll see lots of garments: adding elements that make boy’s clothing exciting and fun, a few tutorials for easy pattern adjustments to help you mix it up, and maybe even a new pattern? Who knows. All I know is that I’ve been having so much fun sewing for Elliot; he definitely likes it when I make him new clothes!

You can check out my Celebrate the BOY archives and Dana’s BOY archives from prior years to see what we’ve done in the past. Honestly, this year might feel a little different; we plan to run the series for two weeks instead of a month (that was tooo long! we almost died of exhaustion), and this year we’ll just be offering our own ideas and tutorials instead of inviting guests to post. Which definitely means the focus will be projects for 5-6 year old boys (Owen and Elliot!!), but we think our Celebrate the BOY projects will both translate to other ages and provide inspiration for sewing for ALL boys.

Want to get involved? We’d love for you to join us! Here are some ways:

Instagram or Twitter: Add #celebratetheBOY hashtag to your Instagram photos or tweets so we can find them easily (by the way: you can find me at instagram.com/madebyrae or twitter.com/madebyrae)

Flickr: Be sure to add your latest boy sewing projects to our Celebrate the BOY pool! We pull from this pool to do roundup posts, and if something catches our eye we’ll try to feature it. (PSA: Please avoid over-posting to this pool — ONE or TWO pictures per project is usually enough!)

Blog: Post your boy sewing projects on your blog and put a picture in the Celebrate the BOY pool:

IMG_3679IMG_3673IMG_3672IBN JEANS - Painted & ReflectiveIBN JEANS - Painted & ReflectiveIBN JEANS - Painted & ReflectiveIBN JEANS - Painted & ReflectiveIBN JEANS x BandannasIBN JEANSIBN JEANS x BandannasIBN JEANS x TransformersIBN JEANS x TransformersIBN JEANSIBN JEANS x Star Wars x SkullsIBN JEANS x Star Wars x SkullsIBN JEANS x Star Wars x SkullsIBN JEANS x Star Wars x SkullsIBN JEANS boys 3M reflective hat.IBN JEANS boys 3M reflective hatIBN JEANS x Captain America x SupermanIBN JEANS x Captain America x SupermanIBN JEANS x Captain America x SupermanIBN JEANS x Captain America x SupermanIBN JEANS

Take a button: Feel free to use the buttons in this post (or Dana’s) and link back to either of our blogs (me / Dana)  or Celebrate the BOY archives (me / Dana). (and you can scroll down to the bottom of the page for code if that’s easier)

Can’t wait!

Categories: Celebrate the BOY 2013

38 Responses to Celebrate the BOY 2013!

1. EmSewCrazy says:

I’m so excited!! I’ve only been following your blog for about a year and have been interested in your Celebrating the Boy posts. I hope I can take part in it this year!

2. Jen M says:

I am so excited for the month of the boy to be back again!!!! Thanks!

3. Kellie says:

Ooh, this announcement makes me so happy!!!! You’re the best, Rae!

4. Lauren says:

I am PSYCHED! I have been sewing up a storm for our little boy who will be born in June. Funny thing is…I have been making what I thought was newborn stuff, and my husband started laughing last night…he said, “That stuff is twice the size of a newborn.” I didn’t believe him until I pulled out Harper’s stuff today for comparison. He was right – I seem to have forgotten how little newborns are!

5. dana says:

yay! totally excited.
    Great post!

6. Mie says:

I am trying to put one of your buttons on my sidebar but don’t I need a html code? Thanks!

Hi Mie! OK. I’ve put the code for a couple buttons down at the bottom of my blog — scroll ALL the way down to the bottom of the page and you’ll find them.

If you want to substitute a different image, just right click on an image, copy the URL, and paste it into the img src = “RIGHT HERE” section of the code, between the quotations, instead of the word “right here.” :)

7. jacq says:

Woohooooooo!!
    Can’t wait.
    Definitely will be joining in the fun.

8. YAY for the BOY!!! This is going to be fun!!

9. Melissa N says:

I can’t wait!!

10. carolina says:

this is great! When I saw Celebrate the boy the first time I want to sew clothes for my boy, Thank you for this event.

11. kris says:

YAY!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited!!!!!!!!! I can’t wait to see all the projects and all the possibilities to make for my son!!! you rock :)

12. Woo hoo! Just what I (and probably my son too) have been waiting for! I need to get into some more boy sewing.

13. beth lehman says:

oh, rae, who cares about sewing for the boy… i just miss the faces your boy makes!! love that first shot!!!

14. Monica says:

Oh, fun!! I have trouble staying on task for my little guy, this will be wonderful motivation…can’t wait to see what comes through here…

15. Caroline says:

Perfect timing! The weather is starting to turn away from summer here in the southern hemisphere so I’m planning some vests, hoodies and pants for my boys, I know I’m going to be mighty inspired by you and Dana.

16. Caila says:

I AM SO EXCITED!!

17. mamasha says:

Love this tradition, we’re in!

kermit arms waving frantically! so excited to see what you two have dreamt up for this CTB. POWER DUO.

19. Katrina says:

Yay! Thank you for Celebrating the Boy once more. I found both yours and Dana’s blogs via Celebrate the Boy. I have 2 boys aged 7 and almost 5 so I love new sewing inspiration for them.

20. abby says:

As a Mum of a 2yo boy and a second on the way, I can’t wait for this!

21. suzy says:

Yay! So looking forward to this. I have a 5 year old boy in serious need of some new clothes.

22. Nathalie B. says:

Great news ! I’d seen the hints and was eargerly waiting for the party to begin :)
    Now just a guess for the pattern… boys pants ? In any case, if new pattern there is, hope it will go up to 8 years !

23. Sarah says:

Fantastic!
    Can’t wait, as a mum to a 6yr old I’m so looking forward to getting some inspiration and thank you for the ‘great big nudge’ to get the PJ pants that should’ve been completed at Christmas done at last!!!

24. Ledys says:

Boy, does this hit the spot! I am just now browsing through the websites trying to edit my shopping cart and thinking, “surely I can whip up a pair of 3 month old pants!” So excited about this, Rae! Can’t wait for your posts!

25. Erika says:

YAAAAAYYY!!!!!!! I am so excited to celebrate my boy! I’ve just finished up 2 dresses, a sweater and a pair of pants all for my girl and I am so ready to start whipping up some things for my sweet 2 year old boy!

26. Kate says:

Yay! Super exciting, and just in time for my new baby year resolution.

27. Katie80 says:

I can’t wait either! I’m so excited for this.

28. Mary says:

Hurray! Can’t wait to see what y’all come up with!!

29. Yay! Looking forward to the series again!!

30. sascha says:

Boy oh boy I sure need to celebrate the boy (he he). I need to celebrate sewing again. I sure came to a screeching halt. Maybe this will spark my mojo to wake up.

31. fern says:

Yay! Can’t wait!!

32. Kim Kruse says:

I always thought it was great that you and Dana partnered up to put the sewing spotlight on boys, and now I have a boy of my own to sew for! I’m hopeful that I can carve out some sewing time amidst diaper changes and feedings to be a part of Celebrate the Boy.

33. Kiwi Helen says:

Hi from New Zealand. I have a 5 year old boy and a littler one too. My challenge for 2013 is not to buy them any new clothes, (only essential sport uniforms or rainwear) so I am making everything or accepting and buying second hand. Been doing some sewing of winter tops but some more inspiration would be great. I’m really looking forward to reading the posts and I hope to join in. First time I have commented on a blog, hope I can figure out how to post a pic when the time comes!

Then after celebrate the boy, I plan to have a crack at the washi dress!

34. brooke says:

Woot Woot! Cannot wait for next week!!!

35. I love that article on getting in the picture more. Think about it alot actually. Need to get in the picture more too! Thanks for the tutorial!

36. British American says:

My oldest son is 5. (His younger brother is almost 2.) So I’m super excited to see projects for his age! Thanks!!!!