In yesterday’s color roundup post, I showed you a ton of ideas for using color in boys’ clothing. This hoodie for Elliot is another example of how I love to use color in a more subtle way. Sometimes pairing a bright color (like teal! or red!) with a neutral (like off-white or grey) can create a really fun pop of color.

[I've enabled pinning for most of the pics in this post; feel free to pin them!]

This hoodie was made with my Flashback Tee Sewing Pattern, a super-basic skinny tee that comes in two sets of sizes, little kid (12 months – 5T) and big kid (6-14). Elliot has *JUST* made it into the big kid sizes…yay!!! Sooo glad I made that pattern bigger, as it has become a huge staple of my kids’ wardrobes! The basic skinny tee on its own is really easy and quick and has huge potential to be varied to make other wardrobe basics. You’ve probably already seen my tutorials on turning the Flashback Tee into a short-sleeved shirt, a puff-sleeved shirt, and a dress, but for this BOY series, I wanted to give it a hoodie twist!

It looks pretty awesome with the saffron pants, don’t you think?

Little Bit of Color Hoodie

This pic of him “walking the runway” totally cracks me up. Want to know what the little dude thinks of his new hoodie?

Little Bit of Color Hoodie

I think that’s two thumbs up! Seriously, though, he has been wearing this thing like crazy. LOVES the hood.

Need a how-to? That’s coming up shortly!!

Celebrate the BOY 2013

This post is part of Celebrate the BOY, a series of boy sewing posts hosted by me and Dana of MADE. Here’s what we’ve done so far:

DAY 1: Rae: Saffron Pants and Color Roundup / Dana: 5 Steps to the Basic Tee
DAY 2: Rae: Little Bit of Color Hoodie / Dana: Pants Roundup

Head over to made to see what Dana’s up to! or check out my Celebrate the BOY archives for even more boy sewing posts!

Categories: Celebrate the BOY 2013

29 Responses to Little Bit of Color Hoodie

1. brooke says:

Ok that’s it…as soon as you post the tutorial for this, I am biting the bullet and getting this pattern! Oh so many things to make and so little time. Who needs sleep anyway, right?

2. Erin says:

He sure can pose! Love the hoodie. Love the pants.

3. Shelley says:

Ooooohhh yay!!!! I have been hoping you would share with us a hood addition to the Flashback Tee!

4. dana says:

love this Rae! Great colors and yes, totally cute with the pants!

if people sew for kids and don’t own your flashback skinny tee pattern, they’re crazy. it’s the most versatile pattern ever. looking forward to the tute!

6. Monica says:

I agree, I love pops of bright with a neutral. And, why yes, I would love a how-to! Woot.

7. fern says:

LOVE IT! can’t wait to try it for my boy! he loves hoods!

8. I would definitely make this! I really like the neutral colour with a flash of aqua too. Nice job Rae!

9. Kelly says:

Good heavens! I excitedly waited for “Celebrate the Boy” last week and just remembered now! Thank you both again- I have just three boys. (p.s. I’m loving grey and yellow right now!)

10. Fiona says:

I love the colour pop! My son also loves hoodies, so I’m looking forward to seeing your adaption post. I think it’s time to buy a copy of that pattern! I have been too afraid of T-shirts to try it before. Such a great color combo you used!

11. Jodi says:

yay excited about the tutorial, i always mess up my self drafted hoods. Even when up-cycling a grown-up hoodie, so thank-you in advance.

12. Nadeen says:

This is great! My son would love it as well. He’s all about the hoodies lately. I’m looking forward to the how-to and the saffron pant pattern – can’t wait!

13. Tara says:

I LOVE this outfit–the color combo is AMAZING and fresh & springy and I absolutely adore it!

14. Upstatemamma says:

I like it as a hoodie. It’s a staple in my kids’ wardrobes as well. What kind of fabric is that is this post?

15. Anneliese says:

Love this hoodie! And all the color… Very impressed by the sewing storm!

16. Lyndy says:

The hoodie is great but big ups to the model – he certainly knows how to wear the clothes.

17. oon says:

Great color scheme! Absolutely love the trousers and the teal accents.

18. Max says:

I LOVE hoods. Vincent has issues wearing them up, but even when they are just hanging down the back they still look so cool! long live the hoodie!

19. Laura says:

Blue and grey or blue and yellow are my favourite colour combinations and combining all three the way you have looks amazing. Thanks for the great tutorial.

20. rebekah says:

I’ve had problems with snaps tearing through knit fabric. i use interfacing but it has happened so much i stopped using snaps on my kids clothes. do you have any tricks or suggestions?

21. My brother recommended I might like this blog.
    He was totally right. This post truly made my day.
    You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information!
    Thanks!

22. Currently it looks like Movable Type is the preferred blogging
    platform out there right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

23. Great website with a great deal of useful content!
    I enjoy it!

24. Hi, I log on to your blogs like every week. Your writing style is witty, keep doing what you’re doing!

25. In forex news live addition the resulting interest rate drops the dollar
    to euro to US dollars. These sessions are the best of its currency a fixed amount of funds with
    a small number of loss. Do you want an internship.
    Click here to subscribe to and reading books. Your accountant can offer a mini account?

Feel free to visit my page: Forex Order Flow Trading