I’ve already shared two roundups based on my “rules” when it comes to sewing boys’ clothes (see the More Color! and Stripes Rule roundups from last week), and today I’ve got a third one for you:

PRINTSbutton

I love making clothes for Elliot that feature bold prints. These items have a track record of being the most-loved and most-worn items in his wardrobe. The fox tee I posted yesterday is one example, and the radio pants I made for Elliot last fall are another. Maybe you even remember Elliot’s green medal pants? Those things were awesome. Bold prints make clothing more fun and interesting, and they add color, as well.

Here are some fun pictures from the Celebrate the Boy Flickr group that I really love to get you thinking about how to use prints in your boy’s wardrobe!

Pants for Thor

Lots more photos of this adorable outfit here.

1. t-shirtjes voor Matisse. 2. T(ea) for two.

Short for Nils

Mamasha blogged about these elephant overalls  here.

1. olifanten set. 2. draken.

Oon blogged about these shirts here:
kleine maatjes

It’s not fair that floral prints aren’t always a popular choice for boys.  Look how great they look in three of the dapper shirts below:

Top Left: feesthemd. Right: star T..

Bottom Left:  bloemenhemd. Right: nieuw hemdje.

Motorized vehicles are always a favorite among boys. They’re unstoppable in these prints!

Left: black cars hoodie. Right: green pants.

Top Left: blue cars hoodie. Top Right:  au travail. Bottom Left: autobroek. Bottom Right: helicopters.

Helicopters and tractors and trucks, oh my! The red contrast in this hoodie is stunning:
hoodie back

The photos in this post came from the Celebrate the BOY Flickr group.  Feel free to join the group and share your photos, too!

Plaid.Quarter Circle Mendocino BackQuarter Circle Mendocino QuiltBowTie-Title-ImFeelinCraftyFlip-Sneak-ImFeelinCraftyFlip-HoodieSide-ImFeelinCrafty

This post is part of Celebrate the BOY, a series of boy sewing posts hosted by me and Dana of MADE. Check out my Celebrate the BOY archives for more boy sewing posts.  Here’s what we’ve done so far:

DAY 1: Rae: Saffron Pants and Color Roundup / Dana: 5 Steps to the Basic Tee
DAY 2: Rae: Little Bit of Color Hoodie / Dana: Pants Roundup
DAY 3: Rae: Hoodie Tutorial / Dana: Kids Shorts/Pants with Back Pocket Tutorial
DAY 4: Rae: Show your Stripes Turtleneck / Dana: 13 DIY Fabrics
DAY 5: Rae: Stripes Roundup and Celebration Garland / Dana: Favorite Tee Shirt Buddy Toys
DAY 6: Rae: Fox Tee / Dana: Big Stick Jammies

Celebrate the BOY 2013

Categories: Celebrate the BOY 2013

11 Responses to Say yes to bold prints!

1. Emmers says:

These are all so great! I think I am finally convinced that I need to make some clothes for the boy :)

2. Mikea says:

Going to go hunt down tje green and the blue truck fabrics!!! Im supposed to be clearing my stash! Thanks Rae!!…

3. Monica says:

Thanks for this…I love rules to follow!

4. I am IN LOVE with some of those knit fabrics. Where, or where, are they???

I know. I get so jealous of the European women who have such awesome prints to choose from!!

• oon says:

That’s funny. Knit fabrics are indeed very popular around here. Mostly Scandivian/German manufacturers.
        But for regular fabric, I buy most of my fabrics in the US.

5. Erika says:

OK, I’m totally ready to move to Belgium if it means I’ll have access to these amazing fabrics. Now to track down the white with the little red RV trailers!