A tuxedo stripe is a a great way to feature a bold print in a fun way! Take these pants I made for Elliot:

I put a little piece of the print on the patch pockets for another fun pop of print.

Shown here with a Flashback Skinny Tee-turned-henley — another easy modification on the basic tee that I hope to show you how to do at some point.

Tuxedo Stripe pant

These pants also look really great with the white and orange hoodie I made last week for this tutorial!

But today let’s focus on the pants…they’re just a simple two-piece pant (so two main pieces; one for each leg) with a tuxedo stripe topstitched on the side. I also sewed the waistband with a flat-front (just like I did with the heart pants for Clementine; Dana has a great flat-front pant tutorial here that’s pretty similar to the way I do mine, if you’d like to give it a try). Here’s a basic how-to for the tuxedo stripe:

If you use ribbon or a piece of bias tape that already had the edges folded under, you could skip the “fold and press under” part of Step 2, and just pin and stitch it down. But basically, you just topstitch the stripe onto the side of your pant, then fold up the ends of the stripe into the waistband and hems.

As you can see, I also added kneepads. This fabric is a medium-weight cotton and is therefore prone to holes at the knees, so beefing up the knees will hopefully help these last longer; plus, I like how they look! Since there’s no side seam on these pants I just “hid” the edge of the kneepad under the tuxedo stripe, if that makes sense. I hope to share a more thorough how-to for this kneepad as well, but of course, there’s only so much time for this busy mama. Realistically, what I want to post and what I actually have time to post are two very different things, as I’m sure you all know. Such is life, right?

You’re going to really miss this guy when Celebrate the BOY is over, aren’t you? Just a few more days left!

Updated: OH! Totally forgot to tell you: if you’re interested in purchasing the fabric that I designed for the stripe, you can find it on Spoonflower, right here.

Celebrate the BOY 2013

This post is part of Celebrate the BOY, a series of boy sewing posts hosted by me and Dana of MADE. Check out my Celebrate the BOY archives for more boy sewing posts.  Here’s what we’ve done so far:

DAY 1: Rae: Saffron Pants and Color Roundup / Dana: 5 Steps to the Basic Tee
DAY 2: Rae: Little Bit of Color Hoodie / Dana: Pants Roundup
DAY 3: Rae: Hoodie Tutorial / Dana: Kids Shorts/Pants with Back Pocket Tutorial
DAY 4: Rae: Show your Stripes Turtleneck / Dana: 13 DIY Fabrics
DAY 5: Rae: Stripes Roundup and Celebration Garland / Dana: Favorite Tee Shirt Buddy Toys
DAY 6: Rae: Fox Tee / Dana: Big Stick Jammies
DAY 7: Rae: Bold Prints Roundup / Dana: Beach Robe to House Robe Remix

Categories: Celebrate the BOY 2013

24 Responses to Tuxedo Stripe Pant

1. carolina says:

What a great outfit!!!!, Love the combination FBST and socks!!!!
    I’m doing right now FBST Hoodie, and will love another FBST’s variation.
    FBST rocks!!!!

2. Monica says:

Ha, yes I am going to miss this guy and his impeccable dance moves. Or ninja moves, whichever. I love, love the hoodie with these pants. And I love a simple pop of color or pattern for boys, this is perfect.

3. Jenny says:

YES! I am going to miss him. He is awesome!

4. Upstatemamma says:

That is a great idea!! Hmmm…. now to play around with some pants. UGH! I am so busy this week and am just not able to participate in this party as much as I want to. :(

5. Cate says:

I love these pants! They look great.

6. Carlee says:

It just needs to be said…I’ve been thinking this for some time….that your children are absolutely adorable!!!! Great tutorial. I’ll probably use it on one of my dresses in the near future!

7. Mikea says:

Those are soooo cute! When i saw the title, i was a little scared but now i want to try them!

haha that’s true…I guess I didn’t even think about the word “tuxedo” being a little intimidating, lol

8. EmSewCrazy says:

Oh yes! What a rock star in that first pic. Love all these boy ideas.

9. Nancy says:

E seems like he’s such a ham, how fun! Great looking clothes on him!

10. marie says:

****PLEASE**** don’t stop this series!!! I’ll send ice cream or doughnuts or fresh baked brownies … or whatever you and your family love to convince you to keep Celebrate the Boy going!!! I’m clearly not too proud to brag.

11. brooke says:

Yes! We will miss seeing his cute face so much! You sure it has to be over soon? :) I really like the tuxedo stripe… I also really like the way his pants fit him. I have done several self-drafted pants patterns for Oliver, but I am never 100% happy with the fit…need to find a really good pants pattern!

12. Catherine Engle says:

I would LOVE a tutorial on those kneepads sometime…our oldest boy (oldest of soon to be 3, so you can imagine the need for durable pants!) is 4, and I think we’ve had to convert to shorts or patch half of his pants in the last 6 months due to holes in the knees. Making them a part of the design from the beginning would be AWESOME. Loving CTB!!

13. dana says:

These are awesome Rae! Love the color combo, the fabrics, the details. So unique and clever! And Elliot is always the perfect model. Love that kid :)

14. sorahart says:

I’m really liking your sense of style. Very unique (in a good way!), fun, and eclectic. It’s fun to see your son’s wardrobe evolve.

15. Karena L says:

You’re sewing is great, but his posing is awesome! :)

16. Maria says:

wow! i love everything about these pants!!

17. Stacey says:

I love this idea! I’m often drawn to bold prints but hold back thinking about how many busy t-shirts the boys have. They have enough trouble pairing their clothes as it is. This is a great way to add prints without going over board.

18. Kristin says:

Love this detail! Definitely going onto a pair of pants in the new future. :)

19. Very cool little tutorial!